Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Braincell has thrown in the towel!

Braincell has thrown in the towel!

Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:13 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of
Default Braincell has thrown in the towel!

Hi,

Got my documentation through for obtaining my docs for Kuwait and there sems to be one common theme. Cost. From what I can work out its going to cost me £500 just to get me and the family out there. Is this correct?

Is there anyone out there that can explain the processes better than the pdf files I got sent, prefferably in words of one syllable.

Cheers
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Braincell has thrown in the towel!

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
Hi,

Got my documentation through for obtaining my docs for Kuwait and there sems to be one common theme. Cost. From what I can work out its going to cost me £500 just to get me and the family out there. Is this correct?

Is there anyone out there that can explain the processes better than the pdf files I got sent, prefferably in words of one syllable.

Cheers
sorry if im wrong, but wont your new employer foot all relocation costs??
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:22 am
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

To be honest I dont know. All the information we're getting is very lax on detail. I do hope they will pick up the tab cos I dont think I can afford to get all that done and I'd hate to jck it in now!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:57 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I dont know. All the information we're getting is very lax on detail. I do hope they will pick up the tab cos I dont think I can afford to get all that done and I'd hate to jck it in now!
you don't know??? I think your are being a bit naive here, you are bringing your family to a new country and you don't really know what the 'deal' is??
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:14 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get everything in writing ... dont believe in spoken promises. Failing on that you just land your family into trouble.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You should know if they pay for :

schooling for the kids

health care

water/electricity

car

tickets home, business class or economy?do you get cash or the tickets?

housing, do they provide a villa/apartment, or do they give money for the rent and you have to find your own place to stay?

relocation, to your new place, at end of contract relocation back to home country.
also, how much are you allowed to bring? will it be transported by plane or ship?

I am sure there is more, can't think of it at the moment though.

Last edited by Alexa; Aug 9th 2007 at 9:53 am.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:02 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you don't know??? I think your are being a bit naive here, you are bringing your family to a new country and you don't really know what the 'deal' is??
Unfair Sir, some of the costs relating to getting a driving license or getting residency are high and vary between individuals (because there may be more attestation) and not usually covered in the contract. The strategy of moving is correct the short term costs are not relevant to the strategy. They are just factors.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:11 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Bubba,

Some of the detail is in the pdf and you'll really have to read, understand and comply or you will get into extra costs trying to replicate out here.

Legally they have to sort your work permit. The rest is down to you. As it takes three months then you can fund it ourt of cash flow. You will be staying rent free in a guest house initially - but receiving no rent allownace.

If you are a manager (I assume it is Alghanim) then virtually all of the admin is done for you.

Other costs are not as much as 500 GPB though so don't get too bothered. Thisngs can be expensive in the UK such as attestation in the foreign office.

I assume you are a Brit and recommend:

attest marriage cert and driving license and degree at the Kuwait Embassy as well as the foreign office (yours - your wife can get a driving license without an attested degree).

Try and get your medicals on the NHS - difficult but I paid about 300 gbp (for me only) for aids malarria, x-ray and all of the other stuff - but in fairness was refunded.

Be noice to the on-boarding team when you get here and they can 'forget' some of the charges.

Good luck,

D
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:32 pm
Camel Spotting

At the time of writing this I really didnt know what was happening BUT I have now found out that the firm, (yes, its alghanim), will reimburse me the funds spend for visa's etc etc when I arrive in Kuwait.

What I found ahocking was the cost of getting documents attested, obtaining Visas, medicals etcetc, it was all just a sound off.

Dago, thanks for your repy. Thats exactly the route Alghanim suggested. Now just to get the medicals sorted.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of writing this I really didnt know what was happening BUT I have now found out that the firm, (yes, its alghanim), will reimburse me the funds spend for visa's etc etc when I arrive in Kuwait.

What I found ahocking was the cost of getting documents attested, obtaining Visas, medicals etcetc, it was all just a sound off.

Dago, thanks for your repy. Thats exactly the route Alghanim suggested. Now just to get the medicals sorted.
What kind of firm is Alghanim, the Al Ghanem that I know of was a supermarket (expat style) in Saudi Arabia. I am hoping that this is a different kind of industry.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:15 pm
Banned

Alghanim - and its various spellings is a common name. The one in Kuwait is a big trading house, car dealership for GM, manufacturer of steel framed buildings (thie biggest in the world) and so on - 7,000 employees.

No connection in Saudi but are targetting some of the flash malls to open electronics and furniture showrooms.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:28 pm
Banned

Bubbauk,

Try and get your doctor to do the medicals and review the section in the Kuwait Info centre website - the requirements do change. I was in a hurry and went to some private place in wimpole st - found it by searching 'walk in medical' - they did the lot. You do need them to give you a general medical cert. The NHS balk at this but the private guy took one look at me and typed a two liner.

The attestations are important. You go to the FO Dept but be warned - there are huge q's - best to arrive on a Monday at 8:30 and wait an hour. What they do is check signatures. Just take that literally. If the document is British and has a signature then they can attest it. If it does not have a signature then they can't. So you need to get your degree attested by a solicitor first. There is one round the corner and the FO are kind and tell you to get it done and return to the head of the q. The solicitor is supposed to check that the document is right - but all he does is stamp it and charge you 25 quid. The FO then check hois signature - pointless - yes.

The only people who are any good are actually the K embassy and they really are effective. To get driving in K you need Kuwait attestation of driving license - get this done in London rather than in K. Ditto Degree and possibly marriage cert. Your wife can get a deriving license if she is a Brit or wife of a manager.

All of this repeats what has been told to you but may be a useful cross check. Just think carefully about the steps you have to take and it will be easy.

Keep all receipts - including taxis - the latter may not be claimable but worth while.