Black Points

Old Oct 14th 2015, 5:43 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
scottanthony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black Points

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice! I've only been in the UAE for just under a year, and I wasn't aware of exactly how the black point system worked (my fault for not checking, I know) so when I went to look into how I renew my car registration, it turns out that I have a significant number of Black Points (more than 40 from what I can make out) that I wasn't aware of.

They're all of the 12-point variety, for travelling 60km over the speed limit - I travel from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every day, so I have a feeling that they have mainly been accrued on Yas Island, as they're listed as Abu Dhabi Police on the Dubai Police website.

I stupidly assumed that if I did anything that was likely to cause me problems with my licence, the police would contact me; the last points were accrued in June, but I have received no notifications whatsoever. In fact, the Dubai Police website only has 20 of the points listed against my licence - the rest are listed against the car registration.

So, my question is, has anyone else fallen foul of this type of situation, and if so, what are the options? I know that 'officially' you can buy 8 black points back, but in reality, can this number be increased?

I realise that I'm likely to have my car impounded and lose my licence, and will obviously have to pay the fines, but what is the best way to approach the situation? Should I instruct a solicitor to act on my behalf, or should I try to get a local Emirati to go to the police station with me?

Any help appreciated!

Scott.
scottanthony is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 10:54 am
  #2  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,601
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice! I've only been in the UAE for just under a year, and I wasn't aware of exactly how the black point system worked (my fault for not checking, I know) so when I went to look into how I renew my car registration, it turns out that I have a significant number of Black Points (more than 40 from what I can make out) that I wasn't aware of.

They're all of the 12-point variety, for travelling 60km over the speed limit - I travel from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every day, so I have a feeling that they have mainly been accrued on Yas Island, as they're listed as Abu Dhabi Police on the Dubai Police website.

I stupidly assumed that if I did anything that was likely to cause me problems with my licence, the police would contact me; the last points were accrued in June, but I have received no notifications whatsoever. In fact, the Dubai Police website only has 20 of the points listed against my licence - the rest are listed against the car registration.

So, my question is, has anyone else fallen foul of this type of situation, and if so, what are the options? I know that 'officially' you can buy 8 black points back, but in reality, can this number be increased?

I realise that I'm likely to have my car impounded and lose my licence, and will obviously have to pay the fines, but what is the best way to approach the situation? Should I instruct a solicitor to act on my behalf, or should I try to get a local Emirati to go to the police station with me?

Any help appreciated!

Scott.
I'd say a prayer and but vaseline before going anywhere near the rozzers.

Oh and I'd take the lead out my right shoe.
Scamp is online now  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 11:03 am
  #3  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,704
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

My advice would be to stop driving so fast. 60 kph above the speed limit?

Why do so many people here assume that laws don't apply to them?
Meow is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 11:31 am
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

For Dubai there are a couple of apps which will give you info on speeding/parking tickets and let you pay online. Dubai Police and MDubai which also lets you check and pay DEWA, Etisalat, Du, NOL, Salik etc. Really excellent. Once registered you will get a text and an email if you pick up a fine in Dubai. AD registered cars etc I have no idea.
You must be doing 180Kph or 110Mph, clucking bell!
mikewot is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 11:32 am
  #5  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,174
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
My advice would be to stop driving so fast. 60 kph above the speed limit?

Why do so many people here assume that laws don't apply to them?
The speed limit drops suddenly on yas

That said ... wowzers

KY Jelly, and a bit of wood to bite on.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:02 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,802
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice! I've only been in the UAE for just under a year, and I wasn't aware of exactly how the black point system worked (my fault for not checking, I know) so when I went to look into how I renew my car registration, it turns out that I have a significant number of Black Points (more than 40 from what I can make out) that I wasn't aware of.

They're all of the 12-point variety, for travelling 60km over the speed limit - I travel from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every day, so I have a feeling that they have mainly been accrued on Yas Island, as they're listed as Abu Dhabi Police on the Dubai Police website.

I stupidly assumed that if I did anything that was likely to cause me problems with my licence, the police would contact me; the last points were accrued in June, but I have received no notifications whatsoever. In fact, the Dubai Police website only has 20 of the points listed against my licence - the rest are listed against the car registration.

So, my question is, has anyone else fallen foul of this type of situation, and if so, what are the options? I know that 'officially' you can buy 8 black points back, but in reality, can this number be increased?

I realise that I'm likely to have my car impounded and lose my licence, and will obviously have to pay the fines, but what is the best way to approach the situation? Should I instruct a solicitor to act on my behalf, or should I try to get a local Emirati to go to the police station with me?

Any help appreciated!

Scott.
I had two lots of these in a week, for 24 points you'll lose your license for 3 months and the vehicle will be impounded for 60 days. If you have a 3rd x 12 pointer, you'll lose the car for another 30 days and your license for 6 months. I guess you don't have a 4th one (on the assumption you have less than 48 points) which is pretty lucky as that would be 12 months and then having to sit the driving license test.

You'll have fines aswell. You'll get caught at the time of vehicle re-registration, however the cops are fine about it. If you're luck between now and then, DXB Police will have their amnesty where you get a reduction on the fines. I think your ****ed on the points though.
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:37 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,839
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

WTF at more than 40 black points - so as an eg you were doing 180kmph on a limit of 120kmph, bloody noora mate - I have accumulated fines in the past but never had any black points. What the hell do you drive?
mission is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:55 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by mission View Post
What the hell do you drive?
White Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser, possibly an Avalanche or one of the other macho named monster trucks.
mikewot is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:09 am
  #9  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,601
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
White Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser, possibly an Avalanche or one of the other macho named monster trucks.
People in glass houses. Don't you drive a Golf? The new mid-life crisis mobile?
Scamp is online now  
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:18 am
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
People in glass houses. Don't you drive a Golf? The new mid-life crisis mobile?
Its not a monster truck/Chelsea Tractor. I do not drive 3 inches from your rear bumper flashing my lights. Its not white. I do not drive at 180 Kph on the SZR/311/611 anywhere there are cameras. I avoid driving on the Highway of Death to AD as much as possible.
Oh and I'm 58, which I suppose might be the new middle age
mikewot is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:29 am
  #11  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 23,601
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
Its not a monster truck/Chelsea Tractor. I do not drive 3 inches from your rear bumper flashing my lights. Its not white. I do not drive at 180 Kph on the SZR/311/611 anywhere there are cameras. I avoid driving on the Highway of Death to AD as much as possible.
Oh and I'm 58, which I suppose might be the new middle age
Scamp is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.