British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Black Points (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/black-points-866562/)

scottanthony Oct 14th 2015 5:43 am

Black Points

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice! I've only been in the UAE for just under a year, and I wasn't aware of exactly how the black point system worked (my fault for not checking, I know) so when I went to look into how I renew my car registration, it turns out that I have a significant number of Black Points (more than 40 from what I can make out) that I wasn't aware of.

They're all of the 12-point variety, for travelling 60km over the speed limit - I travel from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every day, so I have a feeling that they have mainly been accrued on Yas Island, as they're listed as Abu Dhabi Police on the Dubai Police website.

I stupidly assumed that if I did anything that was likely to cause me problems with my licence, the police would contact me; the last points were accrued in June, but I have received no notifications whatsoever. In fact, the Dubai Police website only has 20 of the points listed against my licence - the rest are listed against the car registration.

So, my question is, has anyone else fallen foul of this type of situation, and if so, what are the options? I know that 'officially' you can buy 8 black points back, but in reality, can this number be increased?

I realise that I'm likely to have my car impounded and lose my licence, and will obviously have to pay the fines, but what is the best way to approach the situation? Should I instruct a solicitor to act on my behalf, or should I try to get a local Emirati to go to the police station with me?

Any help appreciated!

Scott.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 14th 2015 10:54 am

Re: Black Points

Originally Posted by scottanthony (Post 11771337)
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice! I've only been in the UAE for just under a year, and I wasn't aware of exactly how the black point system worked (my fault for not checking, I know) so when I went to look into how I renew my car registration, it turns out that I have a significant number of Black Points (more than 40 from what I can make out) that I wasn't aware of.

They're all of the 12-point variety, for travelling 60km over the speed limit - I travel from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every day, so I have a feeling that they have mainly been accrued on Yas Island, as they're listed as Abu Dhabi Police on the Dubai Police website.

I stupidly assumed that if I did anything that was likely to cause me problems with my licence, the police would contact me; the last points were accrued in June, but I have received no notifications whatsoever. In fact, the Dubai Police website only has 20 of the points listed against my licence - the rest are listed against the car registration.

So, my question is, has anyone else fallen foul of this type of situation, and if so, what are the options? I know that 'officially' you can buy 8 black points back, but in reality, can this number be increased?

I realise that I'm likely to have my car impounded and lose my licence, and will obviously have to pay the fines, but what is the best way to approach the situation? Should I instruct a solicitor to act on my behalf, or should I try to get a local Emirati to go to the police station with me?

Any help appreciated!

Scott.

I'd say a prayer and but vaseline before going anywhere near the rozzers.

Oh and I'd take the lead out my right shoe.

Meow Oct 14th 2015 11:03 am

My advice would be to stop driving so fast. 60 kph above the speed limit?

Why do so many people here assume that laws don't apply to them?

mikewot Oct 14th 2015 11:31 am

For Dubai there are a couple of apps which will give you info on speeding/parking tickets and let you pay online. Dubai Police and MDubai which also lets you check and pay DEWA, Etisalat, Du, NOL, Salik etc. Really excellent. Once registered you will get a text and an email if you pick up a fine in Dubai. AD registered cars etc I have no idea.
You must be doing 180Kph or 110Mph, clucking bell!

Millhouse Oct 14th 2015 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11771520)
My advice would be to stop driving so fast. 60 kph above the speed limit?

Why do so many people here assume that laws don't apply to them?

The speed limit drops suddenly on yas

That said ... wowzers

KY Jelly, and a bit of wood to bite on.

Brains1983 Oct 14th 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by scottanthony (Post 11771337)
Hi all,

Any help appreciated!

Scott.

I had two lots of these in a week, for 24 points you'll lose your license for 3 months and the vehicle will be impounded for 60 days. If you have a 3rd x 12 pointer, you'll lose the car for another 30 days and your license for 6 months. I guess you don't have a 4th one (on the assumption you have less than 48 points) which is pretty lucky as that would be 12 months and then having to sit the driving license test.

You'll have fines aswell. You'll get caught at the time of vehicle re-registration, however the cops are fine about it. If you're luck between now and then, DXB Police will have their amnesty where you get a reduction on the fines. I think your ****ed on the points though.

mission Oct 18th 2015 9:37 am

WTF at more than 40 black points - so as an eg you were doing 180kmph on a limit of 120kmph, bloody noora mate - I have accumulated fines in the past but never had any black points. What the hell do you drive?

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11774096)
What the hell do you drive?

White Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser, possibly an Avalanche or one of the other macho named monster trucks.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 18th 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11774124)
White Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser, possibly an Avalanche or one of the other macho named monster trucks.

People in glass houses. Don't you drive a Golf? The new mid-life crisis mobile? ;)

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11774127)
People in glass houses. Don't you drive a Golf? The new mid-life crisis mobile? ;)

Its not a monster truck/Chelsea Tractor. I do not drive 3 inches from your rear bumper flashing my lights. Its not white. I do not drive at 180 Kph on the SZR/311/611 anywhere there are cameras. I avoid driving on the Highway of Death to AD as much as possible.
Oh and I'm 58, which I suppose might be the new middle age :p

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 18th 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11774131)
Its not a monster truck/Chelsea Tractor. I do not drive 3 inches from your rear bumper flashing my lights. Its not white. I do not drive at 180 Kph on the SZR/311/611 anywhere there are cameras. I avoid driving on the Highway of Death to AD as much as possible.
Oh and I'm 58, which I suppose might be the new middle age :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl: