Bird Flu

Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:11 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bird Flu

So is it that we are just not getting the same media hype here or are we more laid back about it? My friends in UK are paranoid about it all - so much so - one asked me to go the pharmacy to see if I could get her a particular drug before I went back last week just to have it at home - in case Any thoughts?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:26 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird Flu

Originally Posted by Fairydust
So is it that we are just not getting the same media hype here or are we more laid back about it? My friends in UK are paranoid about it all - so much so - one asked me to go the pharmacy to see if I could get her a particular drug before I went back last week just to have it at home - in case Any thoughts?
Indeed,
I am currently providing consultancy to a global company to ammend their business continuity plans to mitigate the risks of avain flu. (Major Pandemic Outbreak Plan)

The last time the H5N1 virus mutated to be communicable between humans was the spanish flu pandemic of 1918. 50 million people died.
(6,000,000 people died in a 12 week period alone!!.)

The next time will be worse.
a. Global travel will propogate the virus quicker than in 1918

b. More confined living area's than in 1918 (apartments/flats etc)

People argue that we have better vaccinations that before.. wrong.
The vaccine cannot be developed until the virus has mutated from bird->human transfer to human->human transfer.
Once they have indentified it, it will be six months before a vaccine will be out.
The current vaccine that people are rushing out for (tamiflu) is just for generic flu and will offer zero protection against h5n1.

I have been liasing with the CDC (centre of disease control) and the WHO to get information. Believe me that it is a very real threat, and if anything it is being played down by the media.
All the major authorities have stated that it is a case of WHEN not IF.

I would anticipate at least 50 million deaths if the virus mutates. If it combines with normal flu and becomes transmissable then it will not be as bad, but still a major health threat.

I can assure you that most major fortune 500 companies either have plans or are drafting plans to reduce their exposure.
These include:
Split site/split shift working
work from home feasability studies
work redirection to other offices (US,India,Aus etc)

If anyone wants to know more information let me know.

Rgds
JD
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:29 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Indeed,
I am currently providing consultancy to a global company to ammend their business continuity plans to mitigate the risks of avain flu. (Major Pandemic Outbreak Plan)

The last time the H5N1 virus mutated to be communicable between humans was the spanish flu pandemic of 1918. 50 million people died.
(6,000,000 people died in a 12 week period alone!!.)

The next time will be worse.
a. Global travel will propogate the virus quicker than in 1918

b. More confined living area's than in 1918 (apartments/flats etc)

People argue that we have better vaccinations that before.. wrong.
The vaccine cannot be developed until the virus has mutated from bird->human transfer to human->human transfer.
Once they have indentified it, it will be six months before a vaccine will be out.
The current vaccine that people are rushing out for (tamiflu) is just for generic flu and will offer zero protection against h5n1.

I have been liasing with the CDC (centre of disease control) and the WHO to get information. Believe me that it is a very real threat, and if anything it is being played down by the media.
All the major authorities have stated that it is a case of WHEN not IF.

I would anticipate at least 50 million deaths if the virus mutates. If it combines with normal flu and becomes transmissable then it will not be as bad, but still a major health threat.

I can assure you that most major fortune 500 companies either have plans or are drafting plans to reduce their exposure.
These include:
Split site/split shift working
work from home feasability studies
work redirection to other offices (US,India,Aus etc)

If anyone wants to know more information let me know.

Rgds
JD
Oh FFS you are obviously in the playground of the imaginative!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:30 pm
Its all good

Don't scare me more - hubby brought back mail & times from Uk today and its made me paranoid after reading them!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:32 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS you are obviously in the playground of the imaginative!!!!!!!!
On a personel level...my sanity has been questioned many times, however, with regards to the topic of the thread, i can assure you, to the best of my knowledge this is all true.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:34 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told to get vaccinated against flu as going to be in Germany next month. Doubt it makes too much difference though - the 'pandemic' is expected to arise if a person with a 'common' strain of flu also contracts avian flu and a hybrid emerges that passes easily between humans, this could well be immune to current vaccines. Any new vaccines will take some time to develop and produce in mass quantites (production methods still date back to 1950s, could take a few months). Also avian flu doesn't seem to care too much about the age of it's victims, so not just the very young and old at risk. Incidently, the 1918 flu outbreak (some estimates of deaths run up to 100 million people) is attributed to a form of avian flu).
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:34 pm
Its all good

On a personel level...my sanity has been questioned many times, however, with regards to the topic of the thread, i can assure you, to the best of my knowledge this is all true.
Oh bloody hell don't say that - did you read that prisoners in UK were going to have the vaccine before UK residents - when available !!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:36 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I've been told to get vaccinated against flu as going to be in Germany next month. Doubt it makes too much difference though - the 'pandemic' is expected to arise if a person with a 'common' strain of flu also contracts avian flu and a hybrid emerges that passes easily between humans, this could well be immune to current vaccines. Any new vaccines will take some time to develop and produce in mass quantites (production methods still date back to 1950s, could take a few months). Also avian flu doesn't seem to care too much about the age of it's victims, so not just the very young and old at risk. Incidently, the 1918 flu outbreak (some estimates of deaths run up to 100 million people) is attributed to a form of avian flu).
OK I reckon that gives us all a green card to do whatever just in case
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:39 pm
Up in the air

Oh bloody hell don't say that - did you read that prisoners in UK were going to have the vaccine before UK residents - when available !!!!!!!
The goverment have lots of plans drawn up.
All public transport will be stopped.
Schools and public buildings will be closed.
Travel restrictions applied

With a rough estimate of 35% infection rate, many many people will be off with the flu, those that dont have the disease will stay at home because of the fear of the disease.
Petrol supplies will run short, Shops/malls will be shut etc etc.
The implications are far reaching
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Im getting into the piggy bank....Just in case....
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

With a rough estimate of 35% infection rate, many many people will be off with the flu, those that dont have the disease will stay at home because of the fear of the disease.
Are you talking about real life here????
Is this the doomsday scenario?????
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:41 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Hey NL, How's Manama ??

Correct, an Inuit woman was found in the permafrost of Alaska. The spanish flu was found in her, and it seems to be based on H5n1..which is why everyone is getting a bit ansy
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:42 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by shoushou
Im getting into the piggy bank....Just in case....
Well if you have any shares in KFC i would ditch them and buy in Pharmaceuticals
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:44 pm
Its all good

If that is the case, who would want to survive - as you say how would industry cope - no food, supplies etc its just not worth it - live life for today I say!!!!!!

My comment was how come we have not heard the implications here!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:45 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by shoushou
Are you talking about real life here????
Is this the doomsday scenario?????
Hi SS, hows it going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.