British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bicycle - Buy in AD or import? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bicycle-buy-ad-import-832714/)

driftingaway May 1st 2014 10:27 am

Bicycle - Buy in AD or import?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to continue cycling (Corniche, Yas Marina Circuit on Tuesday evenings and Al Wathba Cycle track - not on the road!) when I move to Abu Dhabi in August. When it's cool enough, anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on whether it'd be better to buy a bicycle in the UK and ship it using our shipping allowance or whether I'd be better off buying one in Abu Dhabi?

OleJanx May 1st 2014 11:34 am

Re: Bicycle - Buy in AD or import?

Originally Posted by driftingaway (Post 11242075)
Hi all,

I'm hoping to continue cycling (Corniche, Yas Marina Circuit on Tuesday evenings and Al Wathba Cycle track - not on the road!) when I move to Abu Dhabi in August. When it's cool enough, anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on whether it'd be better to buy a bicycle in the UK and ship it using our shipping allowance or whether I'd be better off buying one in Abu Dhabi?

At one point cycling was banned in Abu Dhabi, after two US Marines were knocked down and killed.

soukie May 1st 2014 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by driftingaway (Post 11242075)
Hi all,

I hope Commander sees this as he will be the one to offer the best advice. Maybe worth sending him a PM

busybee2 May 1st 2014 5:44 pm

there are a couple of good bike shops here now, one in mushrif mall and wolfies in dxb... al wathba cycle track? didnt know there is one. but they are building them all around the suburbs of kcb and kca etc. if you have room ship it as it will prob be more expensive here.

Pongo May 1st 2014 6:13 pm

You could also buy a bike from someone like wiggle, from the website and have them ship it over.

Myusernamewastaken May 1st 2014 9:57 pm

Not quite the UAE but years ago I paid for some excess luggage to bring a bicycle from the US to Europe. Unfortunately I couldn't maintain the bicycle as spare parts and tools were in different standards/units. I don't know what the case is between the UK and the UAE.