Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Beware - distraction theft!

Beware - distraction theft!

Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Beware - distraction theft!

Mrs P was doing some shopping in the Lulu's store at Al Wahda mall this afternoon. She had a trolley and had hung her handbag over the clip under the handle at the back.

When she stopped by the yogurt chiller section, a woman dressed in a black sack, wearing a black headscarf but her face visible, bumped into my wife on her side which was furthest from the trolley. My wife thought this strange, since the place wasn't busy. She then noticed that her handbag was missing. The woman was of Arabic appearance and my wife didn't even see the person who took the bag.

The bag fortunately didn't contain much of value other than a pre-paid travel money card with not much money loaded on it, her Nigerian drivers license and her's and our daughter's medical insurance cards, plus around 300 Dhms cash.

After reporting the incident to the store security, the security manager took her back to the area where the bag was stolen and they found it abandoned at the end of an aisle close by.

Fortunately, all that was taken was the cash and nothing else.

Just be aware folks, that in this land of "zero crime", that there are exceptions to the rule
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:57 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware - distraction theft!

Bastards will steal anything nowadays...but how did they steal a distraction?

Seriously; shitty thing to happen, hope she is not too shaken up by it.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Mrs P was doing some shopping in the Lulu's store at Al Wahda mall this afternoon. She had a trolley and had hung her handbag over the clip under the handle at the back.

When she stopped by the yogurt chiller section, a woman dressed in a black sack, wearing a black headscarf but her face visible, bumped into my wife on her side which was furthest from the trolley. My wife thought this strange, since the place wasn't busy. She then noticed that her handbag was missing. The woman was of Arabic appearance and my wife didn't even see the person who took the bag.

The bag fortunately didn't contain much of value other than a pre-paid travel money card with not much money loaded on it, her Nigerian drivers license and her's and our daughter's medical insurance cards, plus around 300 Dhms cash.

After reporting the incident to the store security, the security manager took her back to the area where the bag was stolen and they found it abandoned at the end of an aisle close by.

Fortunately, all that was taken was the cash and nothing else.

Just be aware folks, that in this land of "zero crime", that there are exceptions to the rule
this land is not zero crime, it just doesnt get reported all the time. i see all the silly people who leave their bags in their trolley and then go off and take no notice of them at all, so i am not surprised in this place with all the hardships that are going on under the scenes that its not happening more. crime do happen, there has been many robberies in the likes of many compounds, its just not mentioned much, what about the cars that are left running with the keys in, they could easily be stolen. there has been many a crime commited here that has not be reported and swept under the carpet, you wouldnt leave your bag in the trolley in tescos so really why do it here.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
you wouldnt leave your bag in the trolley in tescos so really why do it here.
She didn't leave the bag in the trolley, it was hooked on the peg/clip thingy, and therefore between her and the trolley....until the woman distracted her.

Anyway....lesson learned!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
She didn't leave the bag in the trolley, it was hooked on the peg/clip thingy, and therefore between her and the trolley....until the woman distracted her.

Anyway....lesson learned!
well lesson learned she should have it on her arm etc, i go to the shops every day and see all the bags sitting in the trolley etc, and wonder just wonder how long they will stay there.

i remember when the newspaper would report such crimes, it was "washing stolen from washing line in Sharjah" years ago.