Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Better option than Sands?

Better option than Sands?

Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

MacDeveloper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Better option than Sands?

We are looking for accomodation in Dubai in a One bedroom apartment. I have inquired with teh Sands and was told Dhs.12000/mo (US$3287). This is crazy when I can rent a one bedroom at the Greens for about Dhs 50000/YEAR (US$1140/mo).

We are looking for a 6-9 month stay (possibly extending for another year).

$3287 is way beyond our budget. I need to keep this under $1500 and closer to $1200/mo if possible.

Are there any other good options? Should we just rent a place for a year and write off the last three months?

It would be nice if we could be between Nasr Square and City Center Mall or somewhere in Bur Dubai within walking distance of the Creek.

Thanks,

Trygve in Prague
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:40 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Better option than Sands?

Originally Posted by MacDeveloper
We are looking for accomodation in Dubai in a One bedroom apartment. I have inquired with teh Sands and was told Dhs.12000/mo (US$3287). This is crazy when I can rent a one bedroom at the Greens for about Dhs 50000/YEAR (US$1140/mo).

$3287 is way beyond our budget. I need to keep this under $1500 and closer to $1200/mo if possible.

Are there any other good options? Should we just rent a place for a year and write off the last three months?

It would be nice if we could be between Nasr Square and City Center Mall or somewhere in Bur Dubai within walking distance of the Creek.

Thanks,

Trygve in Prague
The reason The Greens is cheaper is that it is so way out from the city but even so the rent figure you are quoting is ludicrous...are you sure you are not mistaken? Sometimes, being understood and understanding someone can be a real problem in Dubai. Double check that.

If you are going to be out there for possibly a year, why don't you just rent a 1 bed apt or studio thru' a private landlord. Check Gulf news/ Khaleej times.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
The reason The Greens is cheaper is that it is so way out from the city but even so the rent figure you are quoting is ludicrous...are you sure you are not mistaken? Sometimes, being understood and understanding someone can be a real problem in Dubai. Double check that.
Seems clear:

Many thanks for your email and interest in Golden Sands.
One room studio Dhs.8000/- nett monthly rate.
One bed room Dhs.12100/- nett monthly rate.
Internet access only in one room studio.we also have internet access
in our business center which is free of charge to all our in house Guests.

So....

Of course I would rather not be out at the 5th interchange. As I will be mostly working from home, I'd like to be in the center.

What exactly is a "hall flat" and can I get something nice between Clock Tower and Nasr Sq. for 50-55K Dhs/yr? (1br)
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:56 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Seems clear:

Many thanks for your email and interest in Golden Sands.
One room studio Dhs.8000/- nett monthly rate.
One bed room Dhs.12100/- nett monthly rate.
Internet access only in one room studio.we also have internet access
in our business center which is free of charge to all our in house Guests.

So....

Of course I would rather not be out at the 5th interchange. As I will be mostly working from home, I'd like to be in the center.

What exactly is a "hall flat" and can I get something nice between Clock Tower and Nasr Sq. for 50-55K Dhs/yr? (1br)

see my post on what its like. these are in you budget i think
chris
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:25 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

a guy that lives a few floors down from me in Dubai Marina is on a month to month lease for 12,000 dhs per month (1br), so that rent isn't unfathomable, i don't know how nice the sands is though

month to month apartments only make sense if you are here for 1-2 months on a company assignment and the company is paying for it.

i'd check gulf/khaleej times, you should be able to find a private LL that will do a 9 month lease, or at least a 10 month lease.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TA5
a guy that lives a few floors down from me in Dubai Marina is on a month to month lease for 12,000 dhs per month (1br), so that rent isn't unfathomable, i don't know how nice the sands is though

month to month apartments only make sense if you are here for 1-2 months on a company assignment and the company is paying for it.

i'd check gulf/khaleej times, you should be able to find a private LL that will do a 9 month lease, or at least a 10 month lease.
No company assignment here. A friend is paying 130000/yr for a very nice villa in Jumeirah (vs 144000 for the above mentioned 1br). It is hard to beleive the month-to-month rates are so much higher than the annual rates.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 10:31 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks,

Trygve in Prague
Hi Trygve,

Welcome to our forum. Here is some info I have been looking up for some people. I hope this helps u.

HOTELS:

Avari Hotel Dubai: Next to the Clock Tower in Deira.
$196/night uptil the 25th of November........drops to $123/night after that.
Tel. #: 009174 295 66 66

Metropolitan Palace Hotel: Downtown Deira......minutes from the Creek.
$223/night for the month of November.
Tel. #: 009714 227 00 00

Lords Hotel: Downtown Deira.........minutes away from the Creek.
$68/night for the month of November.
Tel. #:009714 228 99 77

FURNISHED APARTMENTS:

RAMEE Hotel Apartments:
Bur Dubai
Fully furnished studio flats
AED 7500 = GBP 1200 = $2044/month
Tel. #: 009714 352 22 77

Khaleej Holiday Apartments: Right in the heart of a dense resedential neighbourhood
Downtown Deira
1 bed furnished flat
AED 8000 = GBP 1280 = $2180/month
Tel. #: 009714 227 65 65

Lords Hotel Apartments: Downtown Deira
AED 6500 = GBP 1040 = $1770/month
Tel. #: 009714 223 22 00

Golden Sands Apartments: Bur Dubai
AED 12000 = GBP 1920/month = $3270
Tel. #: 009714 351 59 50

MORE PLACES TO STAY: the url's show the hotel web sites and telephone #'s.
HOTELS + FURNISHED APARTMENTS: http://www.dubaicityguide.com/tourism/hotels.asp

BUDGET HOTELS:
http://www.dubaicityguide.com/tourism/budget.asp

Hope this helps all of u in need of accomodation.