Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best way to send money from KSA to UK?

Best way to send money from KSA to UK?

Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to send money from KSA to UK?

Originally Posted by ccjetpilot
Ummm, epic failure at the finance end of things on their part. Having given them two options on accounts to transfer the money to have decided to pick up lump sum of SRs today in cash and look for another option. My 1st option failed as was a credit union with no Swift info, my 2nd option was a brokerage account that proved too difficult for them to fill out the paperwork for. As a "consultant" no iquma for me, thus no Saudi account thus need another option with looking to avoid massive fees.
I still don't get why you remployer can't send money from their account to an account in your name, no matter where it is. Are they simply too useless to be capable of doing this?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:10 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I still don't get why you remployer can't send money from their account to an account in your name, no matter where it is. Are they simply too useless to be capable of doing this?
probably, or alternatively they don't want to pay for the transfer.

when i first came to saudi they refused to do it as well so in the end the company cashier took my salary out in cash, put it in his account and then transferred it to my account in the uk.

why make it simple when it can be made difficult...?

on the topic of money transfers if you live in Bahrain or Kuwait (many other countries available, but these are the only two in the Gulf) you can use moneybookers.com with no sending fee and £1.60 receiving fee per transaction. currency exchange fee is 1.99% on top of wholesale exchange rates.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Doobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ccjetpilot
Ummm, epic failure at the finance end of things on their part. Having given them two options on accounts to transfer the money to have decided to pick up lump sum of SRs today in cash and look for another option. My 1st option failed as was a credit union with no Swift info, my 2nd option was a brokerage account that proved too difficult for them to fill out the paperwork for. As a "consultant" no iquma for me, thus no Saudi account thus need another option with looking to avoid massive fees.
I am in a similar position to CCjetpilot. I'm a "consultant" so don't get an iqama, so no bank account. Getting paid for the first time tomorrow with a big wad of cash. My company would have wired it through to my account at home but I hadn't checked out the charges in time so opted for cash to avoid ripoffs. But now what to do? I reckon Western Union are probably a rip off as they don't even mention fees on their website.
Is there any other service in Riyadh like moneybookers.com that will do the transfer without an Iqama and without rip off rates and fees?
If not, will moneybrokers in Bahrain do it without an account/iqama? As a "consultant" i get to take a day off a month in Bahrain to get the visa stamped...