Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The best way to sell a car in the UAE

The best way to sell a car in the UAE

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default The best way to sell a car in the UAE

Sorry if this info has been answered around the place before.

Im just wondering if anyone can give advice to the best place (mainly Abu Dhabi) to advertise to sell your car?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best way to sell a car in the UAE

I asked this a few weeks ago, got some sound advice from BE and then went to sell it and there the mushklas started.
Some will say go the used dealer on Mina near the bookstore. I will say dont bother as they are not buying cars right now full stop
Some will say hit airport road down near the church, I will say some are still buying but prepare to be offered nothing for it at all regardless of mileage service history etc
Basically the market is awash with expats flogging cars. I recently saw a 2008 Honda Pilot with next to mileage on it for 80K
The best my mate could get for his 08 fully loaded pathfinder again with bugger all mileage was 60K
Unless you need to sell it then keep hold of it. I was getting shut of mine just for some peace of mind in these uncertain times but now am keeping and will ship it back to the UK or wherever rather than let it go for bugger all.
Good luck if you are selling and best way is probably an ad in Spinneys or sign in the car but be realistic on your price. Just coz you think it is worth 120k doesnt mean the market will stand it
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I asked this a few weeks ago, got some sound advice from BE and then went to sell it and there the mushklas started.
Some will say go the used dealer on Mina near the bookstore. I will say dont bother as they are not buying cars right now full stop
Some will say hit airport road down near the church, I will say some are still buying but prepare to be offered nothing for it at all regardless of mileage service history etc
Basically the market is awash with expats flogging cars. I recently saw a 2008 Honda Pilot with next to mileage on it for 80K
The best my mate could get for his 08 fully loaded pathfinder again with bugger all mileage was 60K
Unless you need to sell it then keep hold of it. I was getting shut of mine just for some peace of mind in these uncertain times but now am keeping and will ship it back to the UK or wherever rather than let it go for bugger all.
Good luck if you are selling and best way is probably an ad in Spinneys or sign in the car but be realistic on your price. Just coz you think it is worth 120k doesnt mean the market will stand it
putting a sign in your car is illegal you are not allowed to do that. apparently if you havent been here a year you cannot ship the car back to uk unless you want to get taxed on it, i believe. other way around that is to leave it here for somebody else to sell for you or put in somebody elses name and get them to ship it back, the problem with all the people leaving there are not enough containers to ship anything anyway. and if you have a loan on the car you are in even more probs hence why the "11" cars are being left at the airport.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

I may "have" to sell it. If what you are saying is true then that worries me. I owe 100 grand on it... if I cant sell it I dont really have much choice about the alternatives.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes you may have to sell it , but as there are way toomany cars available the prices have got very very low, that is why garages that said they would always buy back cars are refusing, and i mean refusing.... so if you have a loan on it you will not be able to get that amount of money so you would need to top it up from other means.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

by saying i may have to sell it means, if Im not going to be living here in a few months, then i will HAVE to sell it. Im not paying monthly installments on a car I dont drive. That is why Im worried and if it doesnt sell then my only option is...
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
by saying i may have to sell it means, if Im not going to be living here in a few months, then i will HAVE to sell it. Im not paying monthly installments on a car I dont drive. That is why Im worried and if it doesnt sell then my only option is...
What some people did, and is being done for a while now, is "sell" their car to a friend or a relative, basically someone that they trust, and this person would pay the installments...In turn, the original owner of the car gets a security check and/or get checks for installments dated on the same day or 2 days before each said installment...
I'm not saying that therearen't any risks attached to this though...
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but what i am saying is that in the market at the moment you cannot expect market value, the place is awash with s/h cars and the dealers here (who will always offer a low price even before) will not give you a fair deal. and what i mean by garages i mean the dealers etc, not the s/h dealers.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
What some people did, and is being done for a while now, is "sell" their car to a friend or a relative, basically someone that they trust, and this person would pay the installments...In turn, the original owner of the car gets a security check and/or get checks for installments dated on the same day or 2 days before each said installment...
I'm not saying that therearen't any risks attached to this though...
but why do that, as if you really wanted a car you could go down the road and get a real good bargain, i know that it doesnt help you if you are in that boat.... but it may cost you financially.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
but why do that, as if you really wanted a car you could go down the road and get a real good bargain, i know that it doesnt help you if you are in that boat.... but it may cost you financially.
Why pay a lump sum of, say, 50-60K, when you can get it off the hand of someone at 1,500-2,000 a month almost hassle free...
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
Why pay a lump sum of, say, 50-60K, when you can get it off the hand of someone at 1,500-2,000 a month almost hassle free...
yes i do realise that, but its like subletting your house, you cannot get internet/phone/electric etc in your name, the same with a car if in another persons name, if you were to be stopped etc because all the paperwork/insurance would be in the original name.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

My friend is leaving UAE in the next couple of weeks and Al Futtaim in AD HAVE bought her car from her - apparently they will buy cars that they think will sell easily.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh she is lucky then, as i have heard of people trying them and they have refused but yes it does depend on the make, of course if its jap then they shouldnt have a prob with it.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

I you HAVE to sell at the moment, then be prepared to take a hit and be sure to have enough savings to make up the difference from a sale price to the amount required to pay off the loan.

We were considering selling our car to simply remove the finance element and buy something else cash. Selling is near impossible - buyers only want the bargains from someone who flies home tomorrow. Dealers have enough cars and again, only want the bargains.

We ended up renewing the warranty on ours and keeping savings in place to pay off the finance if we need to. As we have owned it for 18 months, if we had to leave we'd ship it with us - although keeping it filled with petrol in the UK could be a killer Trying to sell a LHD car in the UK would probably still get a better price than anything you would get here.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Robbies
I you HAVE to sell at the moment, then be prepared to take a hit and be sure to have enough savings to make up the difference from a sale price to the amount required to pay off the loan.

We were considering selling our car to simply remove the finance element and buy something else cash. Selling is near impossible - buyers only want the bargains from someone who flies home tomorrow. Dealers have enough cars and again, only want the bargains.

We ended up renewing the warranty on ours and keeping savings in place to pay off the finance if we need to. As we have owned it for 18 months, if we had to leave we'd ship it with us - although keeping it filled with petrol in the UK could be a killer Trying to sell a LHD car in the UK would probably still get a better price than anything you would get here.
yep that is exactly what we would do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.