British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Best UAE Debit or Credit Cards for Foreign Use? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/best-uae-debit-credit-cards-foreign-use-827156/)

Coach_Youth Mar 1st 2014 6:36 am

Best UAE Debit or Credit Cards for Foreign Use?

British Expat who is working and has residency in Abu Dhabi.

I am looking for some advice on credit cards issued within the UAE for using abroad.

From the UK I currently Halifax clarity card which is great for withdrawing cash and using abroad because it charges absolutely no fees and gives the mid-market exchange rate at the time of use. No one is therefore making any money on the buy/sell of the currency. I can use it in any country to withdraw cash and it's a tiny amount of interest like 23 pence that I end up paying. (It is listed on Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert .com)

However, I would like to find one similar within the UAE with dirhams. All I can find are one’s that charge a fee and take 2-3% of the transaction. It is also not easy to find out what exchange rate they do in relation to the mid market rate. Again that is how they make there money.

Also, do you know any UAE sites similar to the UK one mentioned above?

Thanks people.....

So has anyone got any ideas over what the best credit card issued within the UAE for foreign use?

driftingaway Mar 2nd 2014 11:21 am

Re: Best UAE Debit or Credit Cards for Foreign Use?

Sorry, can't help with your main question - but just wondering if you've had any issues from Halifax using your Clarity as a non-UK resident? I have the same card and I'm moving to AD in August, and was hoping to use it for various set-up costs...

Coach_Youth Mar 2nd 2014 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by driftingaway (Post 11154625)
Sorry, can't help with your main question - but just wondering if you've had any issues from Halifax using your Clarity as a non-UK resident? I have the same card and I'm moving to AD in August, and was hoping to use it for various set-up costs...

Left the UK in Oct 2012 and had no issues. So long as you pay the bill of course. The terms and conditions of the card may say otherwise about being non resident?!

You will probably still need a UK postal address, I use my parents. I still have all my UK bank accounts and they operate as normal.

busybee2 Mar 3rd 2014 6:10 am

dont close any uk accounts and very difficult to reopen on return, but yes most of them are really only for non-residents, so as long as you dont cause any issues it should be fine.

JamesandTamsin Mar 3rd 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Coach_Youth (Post 11154820)
Left the UK in Oct 2012 and had no issues. So long as you pay the bill of course. The terms and conditions of the card may say otherwise about being non resident?!

You will probably still need a UK postal address, I use my parents. I still have all my UK bank accounts and they operate as normal.

Does this effect your non resident status for tax purposes? :)

mikewot Mar 4th 2014 4:52 am

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11156781)
Does this effect your non resident status for tax purposes? :)

The only thing that impacts your non-resident status is...... Living/working there for more than the number of days you're allowed before being taxed.