British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Best SIM option on initial arrival to UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/best-sim-option-initial-arrival-uae-928089/)

ariskar Sep 24th 2019 2:18 pm

Best SIM option on initial arrival to UAE

I am due to move to the UAE from the UK in about a month, followed a month or two later by my family.

I got my employment visa, however until I get the residence visa and Emirates ID (15-30 days?), to my understanding I am constrained to the Visitor SIM bundles.

Unfortunately, those offer very limited flexi minutes with a limited validity (2 weeks or so) and the recharge standard calling rates above the initial allowance seem to be extortionate compared to any pre/post paid plans. VoIP bans exaggerate this issue and BOTIM or similar access offers do not appear to be available as add-ons for visitor packages (I may be mistaken though).

Do you know which is the best deal for initial sim card for the first month?

I need to make many calls back to UK during my initial stay, including video (sending or calls) to show flats I would be viewing for rent etc. to my family.

Thank you in advance!

Binoclard Oct 2nd 2019 11:17 am

Re: Best SIM option on initial arrival to UAE

Hi Ariskar

As long as you do not have your emirates ID your possibilities of contract are NIL.
Their offers will consist basically of pay as you go cards of roughly £20 = 20mn (local) + 100MB

Good luck!

ariskar Oct 2nd 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Binoclard (Post 12743303)
Hi Ariskar

As long as you do not have your emirates ID your possibilities of contract are NIL.
Their offers will consist basically of pay as you go cards of roughly £20 = 20mn (local) + 100MB

Good luck!

Sounds horrid. I'd rather ask for a phone/sim from my soon to be employer...

Binoclard Oct 2nd 2019 11:36 am

You will find that those employers are usually not as generous as you might think ;)

ariskar Oct 2nd 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Binoclard (Post 12743316)
You will find that those employers are usually not as generous as you might think ;)

Probably not, but at least borrowing you a sim for a few weeks till you sort out documents would not be a high ask...

jam25mack Oct 3rd 2019 12:25 pm

They give out free temporary ones just after customs in T1. Dunno about T3.

ariskar Oct 3rd 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12743744)
They give out free temporary ones just after customs in T1. Dunno about T3.

Sure, though these are pretty useless for people wanting to use them for a month or so till they get their residency sorted. They have allowance for 1-2 calls and maybe a day or two using google maps to find your way around town.

jam25mack Oct 7th 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ariskar (Post 12743752)
Sure, though these are pretty useless for people wanting to use them for a month or so till they get their residency sorted. They have allowance for 1-2 calls and maybe a day or two using google maps to find your way around town.

Just go to one of the small independent phone shops (which are everywhere).... the guys in there will sort you out with a PAYG one without ID. Try Bur Dubai, Diera etc.

UKMS Oct 7th 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12744873)
Just go to one of the small independent phone shops (which are everywhere).... the guys in there will sort you out with a PAYG one without ID. Try Bur Dubai, Diera etc.

exactly what I did, I used my passport as ID and then transferred it over to a contract once I had my ID. Etisalat currently give you 60 flexi min for 100aed on a visitor sim.