Reload this Page >

Best place to look for flat share

Best place to look for flat share

Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Minna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to look for flat share

Hi,

I am currently researching the chance to move to Dubai.

Please could anyone tell me the best place to look on the net for flat shares in the dubai marina or bur dubai areas? I need an accurate idea of costs as this will form a important part of my negoiations with my current employer.

And if any one has an idea of the cost of renting a car for a period of possibly 2 years plus, would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Minna
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to look for flat share

Originally Posted by Minna View Post
Hi,

Please could anyone tell me the best place to look on the net for flat shares in the dubai marina or bur dubai areas? I need an accurate idea of costs as this will form a important part of my negoiations with my current employer.

And if any one has an idea of the cost of renting a car for a period of possibly 2 years plus, would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Minna

for flat shares the best 2 sites are www.expatriates.com and www.dubizzle.com

for car hire it would be easier if you said what type of car you wanted.
May be better just to buy one. Cars are cheap here and finance can be obtained at very low rates.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:50 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Technically "flat shares" are illegal, although I read somewhere about new legislation allowing selective sub-letting but only with the Landlords consent. As plenty of guys on this board share accommodation, the law is not always followed but it can get nasty whenever the government gets moody. For example, the Police have been arresting Filipinas on the streets in Garhoud recently for working as unsponsored or part-time housemaids. When they decide to get tough, it can become distinctly unpleasant over here.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice

Hi,

Thank you

Minna
I've found Dubizzle to be the best...better move quick--places fill-up in a matter of hours after posting (the good ones anyway).
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thank you

Minna
Have you flat shared before?

I've not and its something I was considering but I've been living on my own and don't know if I could do it.....especially with a stranger. Its just something that'd scare me but i guess you can always move out if it doesn't work....and its sometimes better moving in with people you don't know as opposed to people you do know.....I realise I've just completely contradicted myself...ah well.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

zabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nice

Hi,

Thank you

Minna
I am renting a 1.3 Toyota Yaris at just under 300 pounds a month (2000 dhs)

Last edited by zabone; Apr 13th 2008 at 11:12 am. Reason: schoolboy spelling mistake!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Have you flat shared before?

I've not and its something I was considering but I've been living on my own and don't know if I could do it.....especially with a stranger. Its just something that'd scare me but i guess you can always move out if it doesn't work....and its sometimes better moving in with people you don't know as opposed to people you do know.....I realise I've just completely contradicted myself...ah well.
Flat/Villa sharing here is not as bad as back in the UK. you will normally get a large room with an en-suite or private bathroom. plus the apartments will be a lot bigger.

some you can get on monthly payment but many will require you to commit and pay for min 6 months up front.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Minna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the feedback.

The dubizzle site is a great help.

Has any one got an idea how much companies pay towards accomodation costs? I currently work for a project management/ cost consultancy in the uk, and they want me to join thier dubai team.

The offer will be with me at the start of the week, so its coming up to make your mind up time.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Has any one got an idea how much companies pay towards accomodation costs? I currently work for a project management/ cost consultancy in the uk, and they want me to join thier dubai team.

The offer will be with me at the start of the week, so its coming up to make your mind up time.

Thanks
if you want a nice flatshare you will need 6k a month. that should be your min accomodation allowance. if you don't use it all you just bank whats left
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

zabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nicezabone is just really nice

I am getting 10k dhs a month - I have just started as a property consultant in Dubai. However this would not have been enough (I wanted a 2 bed flat in new town Dubai near to beach) had i not received an extra 20% discount from my employer for renting a property from them.

renting is very difficult and prices are increasing by the month - i would say rents exceed london levels now.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Technically "flat shares" are illegal, although I read somewhere about new legislation allowing selective sub-letting but only with the Landlords consent. As plenty of guys on this board share accommodation, the law is not always followed but it can get nasty whenever the government gets moody. For example, the Police have been arresting Filipinas on the streets in Garhoud recently for working as unsponsored or part-time housemaids. When they decide to get tough, it can become distinctly unpleasant over here.
Flat shares are at the mercy of your landlord, as I understand it isn't against the law in Dubai to flatshare, just illegal to do it without the landlords permission. Some developers may also begin to write in a flatsharing clause into their contract.

Villa shares on the other hand are illegal in the eyes of the law here, they are for 'single families' only and the property owner can be brought to book if they allows it, as well as the villa sharers.

Some developers have gone even further. I understand Nakheel have wrote into the villa contracts in the palm that they cannot rent them out full stop. Long let short let NO LET!

With the timeshare law being introduced here soon and more properties being zoned, expect the laws to be tightened up even further (they may even sneak a fee in somewhere!).
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zabone View Post
I am getting 10k dhs a month - I have just started as a property consultant in Dubai. However this would not have been enough (I wanted a 2 bed flat in new town Dubai near to beach) had i not received an extra 20% discount from my employer for renting a property from them.

renting is very difficult and prices are increasing by the month - i would say rents exceed london levels now.
Hello

How are you finding it so far?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Look at the total package, rather than just the housing allowance.
Put it all together, if the amount works for you, great.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Hello

How are you finding it so far?
Fab

Will call you for a coffee soon !
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:10 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zabone View Post
Fab

Will call you for a coffee soon !
Good news -really glad to hear it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.