Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best Place to live in BAH?

Best Place to live in BAH?

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:59 pm
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough
Default Best Place to live in BAH?

Hi Folks,

I am moving from Dubai to Bahrain next month. Company I am joining gives a choice of an allowance or alternatively provides accommodation...works out at about 600 BHD per month if I take the allowance.

Do landlords take a monthly payment or is it like Dubai where they want a year paid in advance as one cheque.?

Can I get a small (older) villa for something in my allowance or will I only get a flat? Where is a good area to live?
Have been reading that there is an increased tension in Bahrain....some riots etc Policeman killed etc etc Are there any no-go, unsafe areas that I should keepclear of?

Any help appreciated......
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:59 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Place to live in BAH?

Originally Posted by smilingcamel
Hi Folks,

I am moving from Dubai to Bahrain next month. Company I am joining gives a choice of an allowance or alternatively provides accommodation...works out at about 600 BHD per month if I take the allowance.

Do landlords take a monthly payment or is it like Dubai where they want a year paid in advance as one cheque.?

Can I get a small (older) villa for something in my allowance or will I only get a flat? Where is a good area to live?
Have been reading that there is an increased tension in Bahrain....some riots etc Policeman killed etc etc Are there any no-go, unsafe areas that I should keepclear of?

Bahrain used to be monthly rent for us, not sure if that is still the case.

Juffair area is not bad for single people, or Budaiya (more families there).

There has been some rioting over last year, but as long as you stay away from the smaller villages you should be OK.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:13 am
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough

Northernlad,

Many thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:18 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Juffair is a really nice area to live in for expats, however, not sure what BD600 per month will get you now as the rents are kept high due to the US Navy Base around the corner - loads of americans live in Juffair.

We left Juffair 4 years ago and the lowest rental (fully furnished) in the building that I managed was Dhs500 per month.

Adliya is a little further out and might be less pricey with regard to flats as US Navy don't tend to live here quite so much unless they're higher up the ladder looking for villas and then they can afford to drive to work - most of the guys in Juffair bike to work - live close to Base.

One nice thing about Bahrain is that you don't pay the agent to find you a home, the Landlord does - one less thing to think about.

As for Saar and Budaiya, we left this area 3 years ago and were renting a 4 bed compound villa for Dhs650 per month inclusive of elec and water, as soon as we moved out g/f told me that landlord had put the rent up to BD850 per month - not sure you'll get too much in that area unless it's a little run down.

As for the unrest in Bahrain - there's always been some, just keep your head down, don't go into the prob areas at night, e.g., opposite Seef Mall (can't remember the name) behind Exhibition Centre

Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:16 am
On the look out

Hi sinderelle

Many thanks for the information. Very much appreciated......

Brgds Smiling Camel
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Hi Folks,

Juffair is a building site, and getting in and out in peek hour.. have fun!

Mahooz is an area (next to Um Al Hassam) which is still close to everything. Um Al Hassam itself if very central, as is Adliya..
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:22 am
On the look out

Thanks Camel jockey...........
Old May 1st 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

-doubt you'll get a villa for that...but should still be able to get a reasonable flat in juffair for 600- comment already made is that the whole area is a construction site.
-adding to other comments...-zinj is also well regarded but probably outside the 600bd mark.
- mostly 1 month in advance but some are 3- month in advance.
- rioters have no beef with expats, so would not worry- but if it helps stay away from compounds/ flats bordering on village precincts.
- amwaj islands may have something in your price, but probably not.
- people in bahrain are excellent- secret, as with anywhere, is to show some respect.
Good luck.

Hi Folks,

Old May 1st 2008, 5:52 am
On the look out

Hi shiftdelete.....noted with thanks. I am used to building sites....Dubai is an even bigger one.

rgds Smilingcamel
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

We've found Juffair ok - been here just over 3mnths now and have a 2bdrm/ FF(inc all utilities, cable, internet etc) in your budget. Sure it is a bit of a construction site and very sandy, but you get a bit of that everywhere. I haven't found the traffic anywhere worse than travelling around other parts of the island - there are a few traffic-affecting roadworks around, but nothing awful if you know the back ways.

I can pm you some agent contacts if you like......
Old May 4th 2008, 10:09 am
On the look out

Thanks Macteepee. Appreciate the info.
I will be working at the airport.....do you think I will get any traffic problems from Juffair to Muharraq in the mornings (mind you, it cant be any worse that Dubai....I spend most of my time in jams here....or can it?)
Family will be in the UK most of the time and will visit for holidays etc etc so will be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom place....swimming pool a bonus!
If you can advise any reputable agents.....it would be great.

Many thanks....
Old May 4th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

main15 is an unknown quantity at this point

you'll have no prob driving from juffair to airport in the morning- it will b a breeze compared to Dubai! 15-20 mins but depends on what time u start i.e. before school rush. Juffair would be ur best best if ur living on own and will have family visiting. My friend did that for a year- had a 3 bedroom flat with pool etc for wife and kids when they visited and they loved it- they moved to villa now cos his famil is with him.

Juffair is good cos there is a main street with everything in it- food, costa, starbucks, supermarkets, coldstores, pharmacy, barbers, dry cleaning- which is nice until you get yourself established and then you can find ur own places that u like. It doesnt take too long to travel anywhere in bahrain and its very safe for your children. I would down the street on my own at 10pm in bahrain but would never do in uk!

good luck!
Old May 4th 2008, 1:28 pm
On the look out

Dear Main 15....thanks a lot....I am looking forward to the move....
Juffair seems to be the best bet!
Brgds
Old May 5th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

PM'd u smilingcamel
Old May 6th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

t19hlr will become famous soon enought19hlr will become famous soon enough

Dear Main 15....thanks a lot....I am looking forward to the move....
Juffair seems to be the best bet!
Brgds
Yep Juffair is probably a good choice. Been living there for 5 weeks now and I really like it. Although I would suggest getting a place away from the main street as I hear traffic around there can get annoying at times. I'm staying behind the Al Safir hotel, and although there is a lot of construction going on around that area and the roads aren't developed much, it is nice and quiet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.