Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Benefits of working in UAE/Dubai

Benefits of working in UAE/Dubai

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

mediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant future
Default Benefits of working in UAE/Dubai

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in the pros/cons to working in Dubai, especially compared to the USA. I've been expat in America for about 10 years now and prior to that I was in Japan for 4 years. Although the lifestyle and money is good here, I'm sort of intrigued by what I've read about UAE and Dubai. I'm especially impressed by places like Internet City and the seemingly fantastic structures they seem to build (are they really as good as the pictures show?).

So, is it a genuinely fun/interesting/nice place to live, or is it a bit stressful? Would it be a good place for a family with young kids or does it suit young, single ex-pats better? Is it a place people tend to stay for a short time in and then bomb back home? Any comments on experiences from folks who have a dual UK-US citizenship/GC would be welcome too, e.g. regarding taxes, etc.

I'm 35, work in the wireless phone industry, married with 2 kids.

Thanks!
MediaGuru
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:38 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Benefits of working in UAE/Dubai

Originally Posted by mediaguru
I'm especially impressed by places like Internet City and the seemingly fantastic structures they seem to build (are they really as good as the pictures show?).
hiya mediaguru. welcome to the forum.

look thru the FAQ's as they r VERY helpful.

as for ur q's............ errrrrrrrrrrrr........... yes! lol Dubai is really as good as it looks for families and single folk alike.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: Benefits of working in UAE/Dubai

Originally Posted by mediaguru
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in the pros/cons to working in Dubai, especially compared to the USA. I've been expat in America for about 10 years now and prior to that I was in Japan for 4 years. Although the lifestyle and money is good here, I'm sort of intrigued by what I've read about UAE and Dubai. I'm especially impressed by places like Internet City and the seemingly fantastic structures they seem to build (are they really as good as the pictures show?).

So, is it a genuinely fun/interesting/nice place to live, or is it a bit stressful? Would it be a good place for a family with young kids or does it suit young, single ex-pats better? Is it a place people tend to stay for a short time in and then bomb back home? Any comments on experiences from folks who have a dual UK-US citizenship/GC would be welcome too, e.g. regarding taxes, etc.

I'm 35, work in the wireless phone industry, married with 2 kids.

Thanks!
MediaGuru
It is good place for kids, pretty safe, tax free benefits and the education is excellent, I think, much better than the UK. My son likes it's here very much and say he doesn't want to go back to England. There is lots to do for families.

The down side we've found is that most of the British schools are full and the traffic is a nightmare. We ended up sending our son to the Sheffield Private school but the location is pretty bad. It's really at the wrong end of Dubai close to Sharjah where we live. It can sometimes take me 2 hours or more to get home. The accommodation is pretty expensive here too.

I note you're in the State of Washington. I lived briefly in Oregon. If I had the choice and chance I would go back to Oregon, it was a lot more open and easier to get about, especially since I only has a 3 mile journey to work on open roads.

But please consider other opinions too.