Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Beggars during Ramadan, what to do?

Beggars during Ramadan, what to do?

Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beggars during Ramadan, what to do?

I was reading this article on gulfnews: http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10344333.html

And it reminded me of a few things, a few months ago I was in International City searching for a taxi after having dinner over there with a few friends, and an asian continent looking person approached me and my girlfriend and asked for money to buy food, as we just came from a restaurant and took some leftovers with us (for the dog ), I told him he could take the food, he declined and walked away swearing at us "cheap westerners".

Now since Ramadan started I've been approached by a couple of beggars. I was walking in Bur Dubai late in the evening, and a BMW X5 with Omani plates stopped next to me, guy wearing a suit with his (so he said) mother next to him, had spend all their money on a 3000Dhs purse and now needed money to get back to Oman.. Needless to say I declined.

Then in the area I live (Abu Hail) I've been approached by two, one while sitting in a coffee store (Gloria's), a Pakistani wearing a very, very dirty (labourers) jumpsuit, himself being dirty, hair clingy etc, I felt so sorry for the guy that I gave him a little money and I actually saw him going to the grocery next door buying a whole bunch of bread and eating it outside.

Another guy, old Saudi guy in a shabby beat-up car with Saudi license plates, also very dirty looking, wearing a dishdasha which only reached to his knees etc, asking for money to get back to Saudi.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I don't mind giving to people who are actually in need (the Pakistani buying bread), looking at the big salary's we are paid just because we where born on the right piece of land and the little they make, but I don't want to give to people who are just taking advantage of your "good side" and wanting to make a quick buck (International City guy and X5 driving buying 3000Dhs purse guy).

So what do you guys do?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:54 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beggars during Ramadan, what to do?

Originally Posted by Euc-
I was reading this article on gulfnews: http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10344333.html

And it reminded me of a few things, a few months ago I was in International City searching for a taxi after having dinner over there with a few friends, and an asian continent looking person approached me and my girlfriend and asked for money to buy food, as we just came from a restaurant and took some leftovers with us (for the dog ), I told him he could take the food, he declined and walked away swearing at us "cheap westerners".

Now since Ramadan started I've been approached by a couple of beggars. I was walking in Bur Dubai late in the evening, and a BMW X5 with Omani plates stopped next to me, guy wearing a suit with his (so he said) mother next to him, had spend all their money on a 3000Dhs purse and now needed money to get back to Oman.. Needless to say I declined.

Then in the area I live (Abu Hail) I've been approached by two, one while sitting in a coffee store (Gloria's), a Pakistani wearing a very, very dirty (labourers) jumpsuit, himself being dirty, hair clingy etc, I felt so sorry for the guy that I gave him a little money and I actually saw him going to the grocery next door buying a whole bunch of bread and eating it outside.

Another guy, old Saudi guy in a shabby beat-up car with Saudi license plates, also very dirty looking, wearing a dishdasha which only reached to his knees etc, asking for money to get back to Saudi.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I don't mind giving to people who are actually in need (the Pakistani buying bread), looking at the big salary's we are paid just because we where born on the right piece of land and the little they make, but I don't want to give to people who are just taking advantage of your "good side" and wanting to make a quick buck (International City guy and X5 driving buying 3000Dhs purse guy).

So what do you guys do?
Personally, I ignore them all....

But, then again, I make sure that every time I go out in those area's, I wear my Aberdeen shirt.. Then I know its only the crazies that ask for money, since no sane person would attempt to beg for money from an Aberdonian....!!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i ignore them also..reminds me about 15 years ago in Mombassa. We were told not to give any beggars any money..

i relented and gave a young boy some shillings (i think the currency was!!) and then had to watch 3 older boys beat the poor lad sensless and steal his money..

ah well...
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
i ignore them also..reminds me about 15 years ago in Mombassa. We were told not to give any beggars any money..

i relented and gave a young boy some shillings (i think the currency was!!) and then had to watch 3 older boys beat the poor lad sensless and steal his money..

ah well...
Darwinian theory in action.....

Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euc-

So what do you guys do?

No matter the time of year, I make a judgement call - as you did with the chap who bought bread.

-
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

It's a hard one to call over in this part of the world - I've given money to beggars in the past and have always tipped, but lately I just feel some people are taking the proverbial piss.

Take for example the last few weeks here in Riyadh where I was getting a taxi from my hotel to work - no more than 5 mins taxi ride. Now, as soon as I sat in the taxi- the fare was already 5 SAR, and after 5 mins journey it was 11 or 12 SAR - so I'd give 15 SAR - 3 or 4 SAR tip no problem I thought. But the disgust and tuts I got from some of the taxi drivers expecting more just because I was a westerner was unbelievable. I mean - if the journey was longer, or they did something above and beyond, i.e to take shorts cuts to get out of a traffic jam, etc - yeah, sure I'd give 20 SAR for example - but not for a 5 min ride.

This isn't an isolated case either - even in Qatar - you'd give a tip or give money to people who were 'beggars' and they'd look at you almost saying "is that it?"

Perhaps it's just me - a Scot who's lived a vast majority of time in Yorkshire -a double skinflint.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:21 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one response and that is to tell them to go to the mosque. There they will get food, water and shelter.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:41 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I found that is Marrakesh - every man and his dog would be all over you to "help", even if it was made perfectly clear that we didn't want any help and then expect a tip and loiter if they didn't get one. One chap pulled us aside and talked to us about the tanneries or something and then as we were about to politely move away and get on with our walk, he said "now give me 20 Durka Durkas" (can't remember what the currency is over there)...

This was way before any thoughts of coming to Dubai and in hindsight we were just too polite - listening to what they said, for example... or making eye-contact! It's a shocking world when you have to ignore people, sometimes rudely, just to not be taken advantage of.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:39 am
Just Joined

jamiestarr is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe begging is the same in any country, whether it be the Middle East, India or the UK (yes, the UK). You may have forgotten the number of times you get approached for cash from people, whenleaving tube stations in London (this is when it has always happened to me, anyway).

In 80% of cases, you can tell if it's genuine or not and whether the money will be used for booze or to service a drug habit. I believe the case here is whether it's a con or not.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching the workmen toil all day on the building site outside our block and then come in to the grocery store to buy coke and sweets used to make me feel really sad. I thought about how much, percentage wise, of their pay that bottle of coke cost.

I used to buy a bag full of cokes, sweets and biscuits on a weekly basis and give them to one of the workmen who was hanging about outside the shop. I sometimes used to spy to see what would happen to the goodies and they were always shared out. Made me feel (slightly) better (for a short time)anyway.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:16 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Watching the workmen toil all day on the building site outside our block and then come in to the grocery store to buy coke and sweets used to make me feel really sad. I thought about how much, percentage wise, of their pay that bottle of coke cost.

I used to buy a bag full of cokes, sweets and biscuits on a weekly basis and give them to one of the workmen who was hanging about outside the shop. I sometimes used to spy to see what would happen to the goodies and they were always shared out. Made me feel (slightly) better (for a short time)anyway.
nice one
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

I used to do this with swarmas with the night time workers in Bur Dub when I was pissed. They genuinely looked shocked!

The X5 guy deserves some cash tho for his brass neck. Thats awesome! Reminds me of this wa*ker I lived with in Uni. He used to ask to borrow a few quid of change when we were in the pub as he didn't want to 'break a note'! Cheap prick!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danajj
It's a hard one to call over in this part of the world - I've given money to beggars in the past and have always tipped, but lately I just feel some people are taking the proverbial piss.

Take for example the last few weeks here in Riyadh where I was getting a taxi from my hotel to work - no more than 5 mins taxi ride. Now, as soon as I sat in the taxi- the fare was already 5 SAR, and after 5 mins journey it was 11 or 12 SAR - so I'd give 15 SAR - 3 or 4 SAR tip no problem I thought. But the disgust and tuts I got from some of the taxi drivers expecting more just because I was a westerner was unbelievable. I mean - if the journey was longer, or they did something above and beyond, i.e to take shorts cuts to get out of a traffic jam, etc - yeah, sure I'd give 20 SAR for example - but not for a 5 min ride.

This isn't an isolated case either - even in Qatar - you'd give a tip or give money to people who were 'beggars' and they'd look at you almost saying "is that it?"

Perhaps it's just me - a Scot who's lived a vast majority of time in Yorkshire -a double skinflint.
yup I got a cab from Ibn Bututta mall yesterday to my place at Disco GArdens, it's only round the corner and the bloke moaned all the way and actually tutted and said to me 'this is my FOURTH trip to this place today you know?', and I replied 'ah well kidda, you have to take the rough with the smooth eh?', smiled and put my iPod on.

Miserable twatbasket that he was, it was still AED 15 for a 10 minute ride, that's not bad really.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

aye good for you, they do tend to share if this happens, they are all in the same boat, poor fûckers.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yup I got a cab from Ibn Bututta mall yesterday to my place at Disco GArdens, it's only round the corner and the bloke moaned all the way and actually tutted and said to me 'this is my FOURTH trip to this place today you know?', and I replied 'ah well kidda, you have to take the rough with the smooth eh?', smiled and put my iPod on.

Miserable twatbasket that he was, it was still AED 15 for a 10 minute ride, that's not bad really.
You should try getting one from Barasti to JBR then. My ex lived in Murjan 6 and they were right moody fookers to the point that on occasion after lots of moaning and sometimes swearing by them I actually waited for the few dib dobs change!

I did get this one really cool guy on that trip once tho who told me he belived in Karma and he would get a nice long trip sooner or later and then asked if I liked reggae. We then proceeded to bop all the way down the road listening to Bob turned up loud! Now he got a decent tip, in fact probably more than the ride cost.

I love it tho when they are doing the 'where are you going locked door routine' as I then tell em they missed a trip out to Mirdif and get in the next one! They always look gutted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.