Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Been offered job in bahrain - advice needed

Been offered job in bahrain - advice needed

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

fifegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been offered job in bahrain - advice needed

Hi there, I have been offered a job today in a new beauty salon opening on 1st April in Al Ali Shopping Mall - does anyone know this mall? Also I am 44 years old and since I am single decided I will give it a go. Do any of you think that I am too old to start a new life over there ? I have until Friday to accept, so I am scouring the sites for info - any information would be greatly accepted. are there places for woman like me to go to on her own until she meets new friends - I dont mean bars - not that I dont drink but just places to go to meet friends. Thank you .
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Been offered job in bahrain - advice needed

Hi there, I have been offered a job today in a new beauty salon opening on 1st April in Al Ali Shopping Mall - does anyone know this mall?

I´ve passed outside it if that counts, rather nice with a typical mideast feeling...

Also I am 44 years old and since I am single decided I will give it a go. Do any of you think that I am too old to start a new life over there?

Not at all, you are probably in the best age to take the step..

I have until Friday to accept, so I am scouring the sites for info - any information would be greatly accepted. are there places for woman like me to go to on her own until she meets new friends - I dont mean bars - not that I dont drink but just places to go to meet friends. Thank you.

Erm, Manamah is rather small but I think so, hopefully one of the gals here can fill you in?
As you might know Bahrain is a rather small island situated between Qatar, Saudi and Kuwait so the lifestyle there tends to be rather laidback.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

fifegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. As I said I am waiting for the contract coming through tomorrow and hoping everything is ok I have decided I am going to take the plunge - if it doesnt work out, I can always come home - hopefully it will work out tho.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifegirl
Thanks for the reply. As I said I am waiting for the contract coming through tomorrow and hoping everything is ok I have decided I am going to take the plunge - if it doesnt work out, I can always come home - hopefully it will work out tho.
Brilliant opportunity at just the right time and circumstances for you.

Word of caution - what have they told you about accommodation? It's readily available but will probably take more of your salary than you are used to.

Give us all an idea of the package you've been offered and we can comment - a lot of people do, it's OK.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I second the Dean's comments. Make sure you get the right package. I am involved in a Salon here in Dubai and the salaries aren't great. I don't actually work in the Salon but know the owner very well. Good luck with it.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your fighting off arab men skills are finely tuned.
All the bars are pulling joints and a new white face will have them like flies around you know what.
As said Manama is very small indeed
I would be surprised if during your first night out you dont get 5 offers of marriage from Sodi's, 2 fake gold rolex's from Sodi's for one nights services rendered, 100 bahrainis offering to take you home and give you herpes.

Try joining one of the clubs there to meet new friends. The Brit club is a good starter and if you go for a look around then you can often find old friends who will sponsor you to speed up the process. I have very fond memories of the place and still have friends scattered around the world from those days

Unlike the Club in Abu Dhabi with its anal sponsorship system. Hello I have just arrived in Abu Dhabi and would like to join your club. OK please supply names of 3 club members who will sponsor you and who have known you ex many years. No you dont understand, I have just arrived in a new city a couple of days ago. Sorry then we have a long waiting list and you wont get on it. Walked away thinking sod em and joined a decent club where not surrounded by aged boot leather brown whinging expat Brits in 2 small bikinis that no longer contain their sagging wrinkly arses. oops side tracked there a bit
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:06 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Go for it. AlAli Mall is possibly the most up market mall with lots exclusive designer gear and frequented mostly by Arab ladies.

There is a real shortsage of good hairdresser's, so my wife tells me, so you will do well doing outside work.

Make sure they give you a good housing allowance as rents are high.

The club to join is the Dilmun which is well priced, good food and drink and decent people. Forget the Brit club as you have to have lived in bahrain for 30 years before they will speak to you!

Feel free to email us when you arrive, or if you have any problems, at [email protected]
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you have read this recent post on a current thread about Bahrain and its plan to ban alcohol, but it makes depressing reading...not written by me I hasten to add!

You have to be here to see what's going on. The radicals are taking over, all the elected MP's are fropm the dark side. new rules such as no manequins in dress shops in Muharaq, women allowed to drive in full head gear, 24 "lady" police officers taken on because we are not allowed to speak to women drivers who are fully clad!

Last year they banned homosexuals and anyone caught mincing through the airport was to be deported.

They closed all the booze shops except those within hotel grounds. A lot of the 3 star hotels were closed down.

Riots EVERY night, my wife drove down Budayah road at 7-30 a.m. yesterday and the garbage skips and tyres were still burning and riot police at every junction.

Last national day, December 16th I think, my wife and son were caught up in a traffic jam near the Intenational hospital when men dressed all in black, including ski masks and carrying automatic rifles and HAND GRENADES, attacked the police there. They pulled one policeman from his burning car then BEAT him to death!

Most evenings we hear gas cylinders exploding, they put tyres over them, set the m alight and wait.

Last night we counted ten and gave up!

A couple of months ago they blocked the Saudi causeway using the same method. You can still see the burn marks on the road.

There is a gag order on the local press and very little of it leaks out.

The son of the king has openly stated he supports their freedom of speach!

I personally don't care if they ban booze and bacon as both will be available at higher prices on the black market.

The roads will certainly be a lot quieter and the rents will come down.

However, if you want a hooker, are into child sex or hard drugs this is the place to be!

Sorry, I appear to be ranting.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:31 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

I wrote that but still think of the place as liveable.

My wife and kids are here and are safe so long as we keep away from the many troublespots in the evenings or after friday prayers.

Basically use common sense and avoid trouble.

I posted to her but I think it got canned.

Fifegirl, feel free to email us when you get here or if
have any problems and you'll get the guided tour. [email protected]
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:13 am
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I have been offered a job today in a new beauty salon opening on 1st April in Al Ali Shopping Mall - does anyone know this mall? Also I am 44 years old and since I am single decided I will give it a go. Do any of you think that I am too old to start a new life over there ? I have until Friday to accept, so I am scouring the sites for info - any information would be greatly accepted. are there places for woman like me to go to on her own until she meets new friends - I dont mean bars - not that I dont drink but just places to go to meet friends. Thank you .
you are never too old to start a new life - go for it
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eylesda
I wrote that but still think of the place as liveable.

My wife and kids are here and are safe so long as we keep away from the many troublespots in the evenings or after friday prayers.

Basically use common sense and avoid trouble.

I posted to her but I think it got canned.

Fifegirl, feel free to email us when you get here or if
have any problems and you'll get the guided tour. [email protected]
Sorry?? You wrote the stuff that Lionheart has quoted??

Where the hell are you living??

I drive around Bahrain all the time, mornings, evenings, weekends - I know personally about 50 Bahrainis who are only too willing to chat about their everyday lives............... but neither I nor anybody I know has seen this.

Facts:

There are no plans to ban alcohol (although it is no longer available at Bahrain Airport on arrival) and the place is safe.

True, they closed a couple of booze shops, but they were crap anyway, and located in an area which for anyone with money to spend on booze was unlikely to spend much time in.

Hand grenades? Good grief............... garbage.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sorry?? You wrote the stuff that Lionheart has quoted??

Where the hell are you living??

I drive around Bahrain all the time, mornings, evenings, weekends - I know personally about 50 Bahrainis who are only too willing to chat about their everyday lives............... but neither I nor anybody I know has seen this.

Facts:

There are no plans to ban alcohol (although it is no longer available at Bahrain Airport on arrival) and the place is safe.

True, they closed a couple of booze shops, but they were crap anyway, and located in an area which for anyone with money to spend on booze was unlikely to spend much time in.

Hand grenades? Good grief............... garbage.

And where the **** are you living? Drive anytime down Budayah road and you will see the burn marks in the road. You calling my son a liar? Screw you Mohammed!

The MP's voted to close booze shops and it was done!

The only booze shops have to be within hotel grounds FACT!

How can ANY booze shop in the ME be described as crap?
We need all the sustinance we can get!

2 booze shops closed served Seef and Saar areas where the well payed expats live, though you may not have been aware of that.

MP's voted unanimously to ban ALL BOOZE AND PORK, FACT!

You sir, are talking sh*te, booze IS till available at the duty free, just past immigration coming in! (Obviously you have not been here for a long time) But not for long if the MP's have their way.

Mohammed, check out the archives of Gulf Daily News

Last edited by Sue; Feb 24th 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: magic eraser, trying to get around sweary filter. There is no need to swear at another member. Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eylesda
And where the **** are you living? Drive anytime down Budayah road and you will see the burn marks in the road. You calling my son a liar? Screw you Mohammed!

The MP's voted to close booze shops and it was done!

The only booze shops have to be within hotel grounds FACT!

How can ANY booze shop in the ME be described as crap?
We need all the sustinance we can get!

2 booze shops closed served Seef and Saar areas where the well payed expats live, though you may not have been aware of that.

MP's voted unanimously to ban ALL BOOZE AND PORK, FACT!

You sir, are talking sh*te, booze IS till available at the duty free, just past immigration coming in! (Obviously you have not been here for a long time) But not for long if the MP's have their way.

Mohammed, check out the archives of Gulf Daily News
Ah........... your son............... hmmmmmmm ........

Tonight, a piece of history has been made - I have been called 'Mohammed". That's going in my profile...........

PS - I live on Amwaj - obviously that's too far away from reality to know what I'm talking about - it's about.... er.... ten km from 'downtown'.......

Last edited by Sue; Feb 24th 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: e
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, ignore Aylesbury Duck.............

It's safe here, and you should go for it..............
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ah........... your son............... hmmmmmmm ........

Tonight, a piece of history has been made - I have been called 'Mohammed". That's going in my profile...........

PS - I live on Amwaj - obviously that's too far away from reality to know what I'm talking about - it's about.... er.... ten km from 'downtown'.......
**** U. Your posts do not put you in Bahrain.

My guess is you are of Arabic origin and probably a troll.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 24th 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: Again, watch the language please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.