British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bars & Restaurants in JBR / Marina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bars-restaurants-jbr-marina-747143/)

Bahtatboy Feb 2nd 2012 12:49 pm

Bars & Restaurants in JBR / Marina

Please let me have your recommendations :D

(And is the Bangkok Massage Parlour as dodgy as it sounds?)

Purdey Feb 3rd 2012 10:39 am

Re: Bars & Restaurants in JBR / Marina

Best is McGettigans Irish Pub at the Bonnington, JLT.
5 mins walk from JLT Metro station. Expensive beer (35 a pint, no happy hour), good food and frequent live music. Great for watching sports on TV.

Barasti at the Mina Seyhahi Meridien - good for late afternoon sundowners.

Marina side - Underground at Habtoor for footie (Liverpool Supporters club), Sports Bar at Hilton (v smokey), Sofitel has an 'Irish' bar but it's not a patch on McG. Yacht Club is OK (nice terrace) and I think there's an English bar at Byblos but I haven't been there. Couple of bars at Oasis Beach tower - Thyme (cheapish happy hour), Frankies and the Mai tai Cocktail bar (Trader Jack's I think it's called) and the Movenpick has a pool bar - it's next door.

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2012 12:56 pm

don't forget that beer is almost twice the price in dubai... not too many 21AED/pint watering holes in that part of town.

Autonomy Feb 3rd 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 9881833)
Best is McGettigans Irish Pub at the Bonnington, JLT.
5 mins walk from JLT Metro station. Expensive beer (35 a pint, no happy hour), good food and frequent live music. Great for watching sports on TV.

Barasti at the Mina Seyhahi Meridien - good for late afternoon sundowners.

Marina side - Underground at Habtoor for footie (Liverpool Supporters club), Sports Bar at Hilton (v smokey), Sofitel has an 'Irish' bar but it's not a patch on McG. Yacht Club is OK (nice terrace) and I think there's an English bar at Byblos but I haven't been there. Couple of bars at Oasis Beach tower - Thyme (cheapish happy hour), Frankies and the Mai tai Cocktail bar (Trader Jack's I think it's called) and the Movenpick has a pool bar - it's next door.

Pretty much spot on with all of these. Also Icon in Radisson Blu, TECOM has Nelsons, Beglian Bear Cafe and the Byblos english bar and if you're desperate a Rock Bottom. Underground and Barasti have happy hours most days about 5 - 7pm or 6 - 8pm which helps. McGs is the best in the area.

Takeaways - Rupee Room and Noodle Room are very good but a bit pricy. NKD Pizza is quick and pretty good and you can order online. If you like pizza the al fresco upstairs at Bussola in The Westin is great - brick oven, very thin crust, proper pork and decent beers and wines... just across the road for you...

The Walk has loads of restaurants (unlicensed) but most deliver also.

Bahtatboy Mar 4th 2012 10:37 am

Thanks for the info, guys. McG's is bloody good, I have to say. Haven't explored much else, although did have a very quite Friday lunchtime drink at the Golden Tulip--the (pubic?) hair of the dog that bit us in Deira the night before. Next time I'm going to take my battleship, just to see if it'll fit in the York.

Want to go and see the footie tonight, and want to go somewhere other than McG's. Don't fancy the Underground--any other suggestions?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9934808)
Thanks for the info, guys. McG's is bloody good, I have to say. Haven't explored much else, although did have a very quite Friday lunchtime drink at the Golden Tulip--the (pubic?) hair of the dog that bit us in Deira the night before. Next time I'm going to take my battleship, just to see if it'll fit in the York.

Want to go and see the footie tonight, and want to go somewhere other than McG's. Don't fancy the Underground--any other suggestions?

Marina Byblos.

Get in there, drink pints of London Pride, play darts, watch the footie on any number of massive screens, then stagger out and straight into Bob's Fish and Chips across the road.

Blinding.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2012 11:48 am

Also, that Yacht Club is alright. THey've recently redone the sports bar downstairs and it's alright, just quite expensive but again, happy hour is BOGOF.

Upstairs in the YC (road level) is nice on the decking at the back looking over the water, but it's rammed on a thursday after work with some delightful looking birds but an enormous amount of ***********s.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 9881833)
Mai tai Cocktail bar (Trader Jack's I think it's called) and the Movenpick has a pool bar - it's next door.

Mai Tai (trader something as said here...might be Vic's? Can't remember) is quality. I highly recommend the Tiki Puka Puka (sp?) - it's lethal.

Also, the Movenpick as Purdey said is alright, sports bar in the back of it on ground floor has a jumbo projector and screens if i remember rightly, and you can smoke, obviously.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2012 11:53 am

Sorry, thought of another.

Rosso at the Amwaj Rotana, on the 2nd floor I think, it's nice, good happy hour too. Can sit outside on big comfy sofas and enjoy the sun going down there quite happily. They've also got some decent red wine too.

Think that's it. I'll stop posting repeatedly now.

Bahtatboy Mar 4th 2012 12:38 pm

Don't stop!

Thanks Scamp:D

co durham boy Mar 5th 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9934882)
Sorry, thought of another.

Rosso at the Amwaj Rotana, on the 2nd floor I think, it's nice, good happy hour too. Can sit outside on big comfy sofas and enjoy the sun going down there quite happily. They've also got some decent red wine too.

Think that's it. I'll stop posting repeatedly now.

I was in there last week , good bar , great happy hour and good Pizza as well , cracking place .

Robajob Mar 5th 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9934873)
Also, that Yacht Club is alright. THey've recently redone the sports bar downstairs and it's alright, just quite expensive but again, happy hour is BOGOF.

Upstairs in the YC (road level) is nice on the decking at the back looking over the water, but it's rammed on a thursday after work with some delightful looking birds but an enormous amount of ***********s.

Yacht Club's good, you'll find me there tonight for the pub quiz.

And 800 Pizza is definitely worth a try on the takeaway pizza front, but for a post beer snack you can't beat a 6dhs sharwarma from Automatic down on JBR walk.