British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Barber in Jumeira/Safa/Um Suqeim? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/barber-jumeira-safa-um-suqeim-764202/)

miuser2 Jul 7th 2012 10:18 am

Barber in Jumeira/Safa/Um Suqeim?

Calamity of calamities, my barber has closed down - Uptown Gents on Umm Al Sheif (or closed temporarily for renovation perhaps). The guys there spoke little English so there was never any need to offer any direction, 15 minutes and 60 Dirham later the job was done, absolutely perfect. Can anyone recommend any other barbers in the vicinity that could possibly meet such incredibly high standards?

mikewot Jul 7th 2012 10:26 am

Re: Barber in Jumeira/Safa/Um Suqeim?

I use the guys in the Al Barsha mall. 50 dits for a haircut like I've never had in the UK. Scissor cut, wash, some kind of menthol head rub, dry and gel if you want.

Meow Jul 7th 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by miuser2 (Post 10159595)
Calamity of calamities, my barber has closed down - Uptown Gents on Umm Al Sheif (or closed temporarily for renovation perhaps). The guys there spoke little English so there was never any need to offer any direction, 15 minutes and 60 Dirham later the job was done, absolutely perfect. Can anyone recommend any other barbers in the vicinity that could possibly meet such incredibly high standards?

There's a place in the Village Mall where my husband goes. They are pretty quick and efficient and not very expensive. As for a nice chap called Benny.

Kix Jul 7th 2012 1:03 pm

There's a couple of guys in the Park and Shop complex, I've used them before, quick, easy and AED40.

My son reckons there's a better one near English College, 30Dhs.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 8th 2012 3:49 am

Saks by Souk Al Bahar. Only across the road and gets cut by a Brit. 150d's

miuser2 Jul 8th 2012 5:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions folks, keep 'em coming.

I am going to try the Park & Shop place first as it's close to my house, fingers crossed they can meet my demanding standards. At 40AED they are even cheaper than Uptown Gents so I already have a good feeling about the place.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good Turkish barber for a proper shave? (cut-throat razor, hot towels, ungents, massage, flamed ears etc.)

mikewot Jul 8th 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10160509)
Saks by Souk Al Bahar. Only across the road and gets cut by a Brit. 150d's

30 English pounds for a blokes haircut!

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 8th 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10160550)

Yeah.

I don't want to look like a peasant. Nor do I want to tell the Lebanese chap what I want doing and end up with a short back and sides like him.

weasel decentral Jul 8th 2012 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10160550)

He is able to do a spiky bit in the middle of your head or an upturned fringe mate, so well worth it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 8th 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10160695)
He is able to do a spiky bit in the middle of your head or an upturned fringe mate, so well worth it.

Exactly. Don't want to look like I've had an 8 quid haircut.

TheShed Jul 8th 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by miuser2 (Post 10160546)
Thanks for the suggestions folks, keep 'em coming.

I am going to try the Park & Shop place first as it's close to my house, fingers crossed they can meet my demanding standards. At 40AED they are even cheaper than Uptown Gents so I already have a good feeling about the place.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good Turkish barber for a proper shave? (cut-throat razor, hot towels, ungents, massage, flamed ears etc.)

Barber at Safa Park also does a very good shave. never used anyone else in 10 years in Umm Suqueim. Moved to Barsha and Al Wasl just too far.

miuser2 Jul 8th 2012 8:59 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10160706)
Barber at Safa Park also does a very good shave. never used anyone else in 10 years in Umm Suqueim. Moved to Barsha and Al Wasl just too far.

When you say "at Safa Park" whereabouts exactly do you mean? In the row of shops opposite? Near Choithrams?

miuser2 Jul 8th 2012 9:02 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10160695)

Presumably 10 pounds of that 30 is for gel so not such bad value really.

TheShed Jul 8th 2012 9:05 am

Originally Posted by miuser2 (Post 10160738)
When you say "at Safa Park" whereabouts exactly do you mean? In the row of shops opposite? Near Choithrams?

In the same compund as Park and Shop - Think its called Wafi Gents Salon.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 8th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by miuser2 (Post 10160742)
Presumably 10 pounds of that 30 is for gel so not such bad value really.

You must have misread. I don't want to look like a Lebo chap.

But hey, horses for courses.