British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bar managers job in Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bar-managers-job-qatar-769910/)

AJMurphy1986 Aug 29th 2012 5:11 pm

Bar managers job in Qatar

Hi all, I am at a very advanced stage of interviews for a job as a bar manager in a five star hotel in Doha. The pay package is tempting, compared to what I am currently on and includes accommodation, which is obviously the biggest expenditure. I've looked around the net for a while and can only find accounts of people moving to Qatar with families and those of a slightly older generation. What would life be like there for a 25 year old single Englishman? I'm already aware of the low female to male ratio....... It would also be interesting to know how service industry staff are treated in general out there and what sort of demographic my work force is likely to come from. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, final interview in the next couple of days!

Oyibopeppeh Aug 29th 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Bar managers job in Qatar

Originally Posted by AJMurphy1986 (Post 10253218)
I'm already aware of the low female to male ratio.......

I heard.....that there are throngs of QR trolly dollies gagging for a shagging :blink:

co durham boy Aug 30th 2012 9:01 am

Originally Posted by AJMurphy1986 (Post 10253218)
Hi all, I am at a very advanced stage of interviews for a job as a bar manager in a five star hotel in Doha. The pay package is tempting, compared to what I am currently on and includes accommodation, which is obviously the biggest expenditure. I've looked around the net for a while and can only find accounts of people moving to Qatar with families and those of a slightly older generation. What would life be like there for a 25 year old single Englishman? I'm already aware of the low female to male ratio....... It would also be interesting to know how service industry staff are treated in general out there and what sort of demographic my work force is likely to come from. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, final interview in the next couple of days!

Single guy running a bar in Doha , you'll not be off the nest mate , if the deals good you'll do ok here .

Not sure how you'll be treated , usually anything from good to shite just like the rest of us . You're demographic workforce will be everything stretching from Nepal to The Philippines !

I hope you're good as it's 7 quid a pint in some joints so if you bag the job don't forget where the good advice came from mate ;)

Tockalosh Aug 30th 2012 10:31 am

Mate, you will have a ball especially with a surname like Murphy. Loads of Irish teachers, just find out where they drink or even better get them to come to your bar to drink. Mate you will be knee deep before you know it

Have fun

britexpat76 Aug 30th 2012 11:04 am

Yep, the best job in Doha especially if you get cheaper plonk.

dubaiguy2011 Aug 30th 2012 7:31 pm

Mate - if you want an impartial chat, PM me and I'll hook you up with a young wingman of mine who has been managing bars/nightclubs here in the ME (albeit Dubai) for the last 12 months. He came over from Brighton. He will be best placed to give you the heads up, and also advice on packages etc. Happy to connect you two.

Also, I am already getting to know a lot of the hotel GM's / F&B Directors in Doha so may be able to give you a steer if that help?