Banned in Qatar

Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

davidgraham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banned in Qatar

I left Qatar in June for one month to see my mother in Hospital in the Uk, at the time I had a outstanding loan of about 120,000, I decided to stay in the UK as I was offered a job here and have also paid off the loan, my boss wants me to go and work in the Middle East again, Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi and so on, but I have here'd stores of people returning to Qatar even after they had cleared there debts and still ending up in jail, can anyone verify this.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banned in Qatar

but I have here'd stores of people returning to Qatar even after they had cleared there debts and still ending up in jail, can anyone verify this.
Can you provide any sources for this?
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:06 am
Just Joined

It was just here say from friends of friends, One of my expat colleagues advised me to stay away from Qatar as his close friend spent four months in jail after clearing his debts and returning to Qatar on a visit visa.
Sounds a bit outrageous to me but I need to be sure.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

So no other sources, or examples? I find it pretty hard to believe someone was jailed for no reason.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 11:08 am
Just Joined

As I said it sounds outrageous and that is why I am asking if anyone can confirm this, Having spent 15yrs in the Middle East I know nothing is set in stone and things can happen on the spure of the moment, bad debts are taken very seriously in the Middle East and would not surprise me if someone was jailed to set an example, ie don't leave until you settle your debts especially in Qatar were you can not even leave the country without an exit permit from your sponsor.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:40 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gobobo
I find it pretty hard to believe someone was jailed for no reason.
Really?

It's conceivable that a disgruntled employer would log a case if someone left them without agreed notice.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Is there anyone out there that can actually answer my question?
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:39 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

If you've paid off the loan, then ask the bank to issue you with a letter confirming this is the case and that there is no outstanding court case against you.

That way, you have a 'get-out-of-jail' card that would help you if the worst happens on your arrival at Doha immigration.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

what was the loan for ?
Old Dec 14th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jonnyboy I will take your advise and do just that.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Dub, The loan was for renovation on my house in Portugal.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Really?

It's conceivable that a disgruntled employer would log a case if someone left them without agreed notice.
I don't know about Qatar - although I'd expect you had more employee rights there - but, in Saudi, westerners on the receiving end of treatment from a disgruntled employer (after they'd left under a dark could) only won't be let back in; turned away at the border.

There's quite a lot of 'ifs' there though - a western passport-holding employee, left on bad terms, no criminal offences.

If you don't pay your debts I'd imagine on return you'd be liable, possibly arrested or summonsed, until you proved those debts had been repaid. The OP said "spent four months in jail after clearing his debts and returning to Qatar on a visit visa", which I don't believe is a normal/regular occurrence, otherwise we'd have heard about it on other occasions.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidgraham
Dub, The loan was for renovation on my house in Portugal.
As already commented ask the bank for a letter and a statement reflecting the fact that this loan is payed , this could prove difficult though as banks here will do hardly anything through email or over the phone .

Also ask your previous companies PRO to check if there is any violation submitted against you with the police . The bank have to submit details of any default to the police before the police can raise a non - exit or a case on re-entry .

Remember you are guilty until YOU prove your innocence in Qatar .
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your input, I guess all I can do is put together as much paper work as possible to show I have paid the debt ie money transfer letter from my bank, I have been unable to get any confirmation that my debt has been paid at that end as the banks don't reply to emails and have blocked all access to my account online, for all I know the bank manager has blown it on a blowout weekend in Dubai, guess I will have to cross my fingers at immigration.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hi,
If the system is anything like the UAE, which I think it is, there's another way you can find out. Any visa agency with access to immigration will very quickly be able to tell you if your passport number flags up any outstanding issues for example being classed as absconding or having any outstanding court cases.

If you have any friends in Qatar they may be able to help point you in the direction of an agency, just email them a passport copy and offer to pay them 20 quid for their trouble. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.