Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Banks and lost cheque

Banks and lost cheque

Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Angry Banks and lost cheque

Help wanted how do I get my bank in the UK to own up to loosing a cheque and pay me my money.

Situation is as follows:

UK Inland Revenue pay me a Tax Rebate of a few grand, they send a cheque direct to my UK bank. The bank cash said cheque.

Weeks later I still see no sign of the money in my account, I chase the tax man, they send me a copy of the cheque, all details are correct all clearly readable.

I approach my bank and ask them to investigate, in less than three days they come back and tell me they cannot find the cheque?

Inland Revenue say they will not release a second cheque to me as the first one has been cashed by my bank and that I have to get them to find it.

They say they can't find it, so were do I stand, how do I get past the bank saying they cant or wont find this cheque.

Were not talking millions here but a sum just under three thousand GBP. It's millions to me as I need it now and not in god knows when.

Any ideas, there must be some one on here that might have an idea how I can force this issue.

Many thanks.

Andy
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks and lost cheque

Sorry - but your bank is stupid and misleading you. Of course they won't find the cheque because after the original instrument is cleared at the Central Bank it is returned to the Paying Bank (i.e. the Inland Revenue's bank on which the cheque is drawn).

Can you get a letter from the UK Island Revenue confirming that cheque has been cleared along with a copy of the cheque?

Armed with this, write a formal complaint to your branch manager and attach a copy of the proof (letter+copy of cheque). Obtain their acknowledgment on your complaint letter.

Your bank must then investigate why the cheque proceeds have not been credited into your account - in all probability they goofed up and paid the value into a wrong account.

Go to the banking Ombudsman/seek legal advice if they don't sort it out within a week.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Banks and lost cheque

Hi IndieG,

Thanks for heads up on this one, do you think I have a valid case for demanding any compensation for this as the cheque proceeds were going to be used to clear a credit card back home and now I have had to keep making my monthly payaments including interest etc. Also surely they should consider making some form of apology by way of a payment to cover loss of interest etc and what about all my costs of chasing this from Dubai, I have been the one having to call them each time they never retrun calls as they say the will. Each call lasts on averga about 10 minutes or so and so my phone bill this month is gonna significant.

What chance do I have of claiming these costs back?.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Hi IndieG,

Thanks for heads up on this one, do you think I have a valid case for demanding any compensation for this as the cheque proceeds were going to be used to clear a credit card back home and now I have had to keep making my monthly payaments including interest etc. Also surely they should consider making some form of apology by way of a payment to cover loss of interest etc and what about all my costs of chasing this from Dubai, I have been the one having to call them each time they never retrun calls as they say the will. Each call lasts on averga about 10 minutes or so and so my phone bill this month is gonna significant.

What chance do I have of claiming these costs back?.

Thanks,
Andy
If the bank has goofed up, then don't let them get away. They are very quick to penalise errant customers. I work in a bank and I am sick of the way banks take undue advantage of their customers and seem to do it with impunity:curse: You won't believe just how bad they are in the UAE.

As for your compensation claim - really depends on how effective the UK banking Ombudsman is. If you can prove that the bank is at fault and that you incurred a lot of expenses on account of their error, then yes, you stand a good chance to claim such costs (although in some cases you don't even need to prove this). Do you have anyone in the UK to do the running around for you?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Banks and lost cheque

Hi IndieG,

Unfortunately we do not have any one that can do much in the way of running round for us. It's all done via the tele[phone from this end. I have however, told them that if the matter is not resolved quickly and to my satisfaction I shall pass all correspondence to a solicitor to try and get things moving and also to claim for all my costs etc.

Not sure if that will do much mind, after all they have the upper hand and so its David Vs Goliath type situation.

Thanks for all your very helpful advice its warmly (excuse the pun) appreciated.

Best regards,
Andy
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Hi IndieG,

Unfortunately we do not have any one that can do much in the way of running round for us. It's all done via the tele[phone from this end. I have however, told them that if the matter is not resolved quickly and to my satisfaction I shall pass all correspondence to a solicitor to try and get things moving and also to claim for all my costs etc.

Not sure if that will do much mind, after all they have the upper hand and so its David Vs Goliath type situation.

Thanks for all your very helpful advice its warmly (excuse the pun) appreciated.

Best regards,
Andy
Id go in for compen anyway !!!! How many times have they charged you for a whoops!!!! Cheeky mofo's!! Cant believe that is their response!

Hey £30 for every flamin day overdrawn, get your bloody invoice into them!!!

Keep us posted on how this goes!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Well they finally found the missing cheque and credited it to my account, along 150 quid as compensation for the hassle etc. Would have liked more but at least I did not have to do much to get this payment.

So now am a happy bunny and more important also solvent.

Thanks to all for your kind words and advice as well as support.

Andy
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Well they finally found the missing cheque and credited it to my account, along 150 quid as compensation for the hassle etc. Would have liked more but at least I did not have to do much to get this payment.

Andy
well done...the welsh man wins, always a result...!!

MM, xx
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi All,

Andy
Good for you!

More likely they found the account where it was credited wrongly! How can they find a cleared cheque in their possession (unless it was drawn on themselves?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Girls,

Thanks for all your support and encouragement in keeping on at them and getting it sorted.

Thanks MM and IndieG.

Andy
xx