British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Banking and a daft girlie question (sorry) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/banking-daft-girlie-question-sorry-608857/)

Littlemisscaro May 13th 2009 11:16 am

Banking and a daft girlie question (sorry)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether any of you could help me on a couple of things before I move to Dubai late this month.

I'm trying to sort out my banking- I'm currently with Barclays in the UK and I'm pretty happy with them. I would be quite keen to go with Barclays in the UAE. Do you think this is a good idea or is it better to go with an account that's totally new? Are international banks better to go with than a local UAE bank? What are the advantages? I have no financial committments in the UK (I just rent, no debt) so I'm not going to have to transfer money home to pay for anything. Is it true that I can't open a bank account in the UAE until I have my residents visa? Worried about this as I'm not sure how I'm going to get paid for the first month I'm there without a bank account!

Also..a girlie question...:o

I'm worried about the sun out there and ruining my skin. I'm quite fair and after seeing how wrinkly my sis got after spending a year in Greece, I really don't want this to happen to me because of the sun exposure! What is the best way you ladies (and perhaps guys!) slow sun damage out there? Do you wear SPF under your foundation, make up that contains SPF or a particular moisturiser that helps? any recs with brands i could take out with me or buy there would be welcome. It has to be a pretty drastic change in the old skincare routine!!!

Thank You x

Blue Cat May 13th 2009 11:17 am

Re: Banking and a daft girlie question (sorry)

Lancome SPF Factor 50 under moisturiser every day.

Banks - I will leave that to someone with more financial experience, apparently they are all crap.

Meow May 13th 2009 11:21 am

AVOID Barclays as their service is shite. I have several clients that are changing from them due to their total lack of competance. It is true that for most banks you need residency to open an account, but a letter from your employer confirming this is in process should suffice, particularly if you use the same bank the company does. When selecting a bank, try and pick one that you can get too without too much hassle as at some point you will invariably need to go in and sort out something they have messed up!

For your second question, just keep out of the sun! It isn't that hard to avoid really and use a decent sunscreen. I thought all decent moisturisers and foundations included SPF these days anyway.

-

admon May 13th 2009 11:33 am

Wait until tonight when Confi will be online.

He is always willing to help out with 'facial moisturising advice'..

Littlemisscaro May 13th 2009 11:41 am

:thumbup:

Thanks everyone, especially the Barclays heads up. I'll be knocking them off the list anyway!

mrskpd May 13th 2009 12:19 pm

My employer had some sort of agreement with HSBC meaning that as long as my employer gave me a 'salary certificate' and proof that they had applied for my visa, I could open an account. So I went with HSBC. most people follow the same set up ie go with whoever their company is associated with, at first at least.

As for the skin care question, it's really not that big an issue in the middle of summer, you don't go outside. I'm in an office all day long. On weekends, yes I wear a moisturiser with sunscreen and a foundation also with sunscreen....no one wants to look like a leathery old belt:thumbup:

Sabriyyah May 13th 2009 1:34 pm

:shades_smile:

Originally Posted by Littlemisscaro (Post 7567634)
Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether any of you could help me on a couple of things before I move to Dubai late this month.

I'm trying to sort out my banking- I'm currently with Barclays in the UK and I'm pretty happy with them. I would be quite keen to go with Barclays in the UAE. Do you think this is a good idea or is it better to go with an account that's totally new? Are international banks better to go with than a local UAE bank? What are the advantages? I have no financial committments in the UK (I just rent, no debt) so I'm not going to have to transfer money home to pay for anything. Is it true that I can't open a bank account in the UAE until I have my residents visa? Worried about this as I'm not sure how I'm going to get paid for the first month I'm there without a bank account!

Also..a girlie question...:o

I'm worried about the sun out there and ruining my skin. I'm quite fair and after seeing how wrinkly my sis got after spending a year in Greece, I really don't want this to happen to me because of the sun exposure! What is the best way you ladies (and perhaps guys!) slow sun damage out there? Do you wear SPF under your foundation, make up that contains SPF or a particular moisturiser that helps? any recs with brands i could take out with me or buy there would be welcome. It has to be a pretty drastic change in the old skincare routine!!!

Thank You x

Your company can give you a cash cheque for your salary until you get a bank account. you just need to take your passport to the bank to cash it. i agree with everyone else, go with the bank that your company uses for easier transfers or go for the one that's nearest to the office. HSBC is the best global bank but they all make a mess at some point or another.
sun - it can be a problem. i also have very fair skin so i don't go out in it between 10 and 4 in the summer months. also wearing a big floppy hat helps. and a sunscreen swimming cozzie like they use in Oz is a good idea if you like to swim outside. also, get a really good pair of sunglasses as the light is really intense. above all be careful and enjoy the life - it's really great! :cool:

AnotherWorld May 13th 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Littlemisscaro (Post 7567634)
Hi everyone,

Ive never dated an english chic, are you interested?

Roadking May 13th 2009 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7568512)
Ive never dated an english chic, are you interested?

You missed a k, 'K? And you can't date her, you're not allowed back in until you pay back the 300'000!

AnotherWorld May 13th 2009 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7568521)
You missed a k, 'K? And you can't date her, you're not allowed back in until you pay back the 300'000!

Im willing to sponsor her to Australia for 2 weeks. No more though...

admon May 14th 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7568538)

I hope for your sake that your girlfriend doesn't lurk on here.

Just so faithful..

AnotherWorld May 14th 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7569990)
I hope for your sake that your girlfriend doesn't lurk on here.

Just so faithful..

You really are an annoying twit aren't you?

admon May 14th 2009 6:48 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7570008)
You really are an annoying twit aren't you?

says the man that no longer lives in the UAE, but still posts hard luck stories on a middle east forum.

You are just a *****ing knobhead. 'Mate'.

Littlemisscaro May 14th 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7568538)

Oz is scary. I don't like spiders.....:(

Littlemisscaro May 14th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Sabriyyah (Post 7568161)
:shades_smile:
Your company can give you a cash cheque for your salary until you get a bank account. you just need to take your passport to the bank to cash it. i agree with everyone else, go with the bank that your company uses for easier transfers or go for the one that's nearest to the office. HSBC is the best global bank but they all make a mess at some point or another.
sun - it can be a problem. i also have very fair skin so i don't go out in it between 10 and 4 in the summer months. also wearing a big floppy hat helps. and a sunscreen swimming cozzie like they use in Oz is a good idea if you like to swim outside. also, get a really good pair of sunglasses as the light is really intense. above all be careful and enjoy the life - it's really great! :cool:

Thanking You and mrskpd for banking advice- that's exactly what i'll do.

Big floppy hats! 70s style!!!! Love it :thumbsup:
I have just ordered a really nice sunscreen cozzy from Figleaves. Flipping expensive but I suppose it'll be worth it to avoid looking leathery!!