Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which bank would you pick?

Which bank would you pick?

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

littlemissmo83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which bank would you pick?

Hi there! I am moving to Dubai on Friday and have to pick a bank to start with. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on which banks you have picked, any pro's or cons to them. Or even if there is anything I should avoid?!

Just from knowing them, I am tempted to go with HSBC.

Things I need to be able to do: online banking and transfer money monthly in GBP into my UK account to pay for direct debits already in existence (credit card and Orange mobile contract).

Thank you in advance for your help
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which bank would you pick?

I'm with HSBC. Not had any major problems. I move money every month, but it may not be the most cost effective way to do it. Easy to do via online online banking to any account in the UK.

I have a credit card with them, but you seem to get better rewards with some other providers. I may get round to moving at one point in future
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

We banked with HSBC in the UK before we moved to Dubai in 2005 (having had a massive falling out with NatWest with whom we'd banked for over 20+ years) and continued to bank with them after our move. We're now in Muscat and continue to bank with HSBC here. Generally speaking HSBC in Dubai were fine - we didn't need much help from our 'relationship manager'. We had a bit of a problem when we moved to Muscat but once Mr hnd had given the guys in DXB a lesson in Forex everything was fine.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I predict that all international banks will start to wind down their Middle East operations this year (some have already started), so a local bank might be better. International banks' costs in Dubai are very high, while returns are modest.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I predict that all international banks will start to wind down their Middle East operations this year (some have already started), so a local bank might be better. International banks' costs in Dubai are very high, while returns are modest.
Very interesting comment for sure. Does your assessment apply only to the retail side, or all of it?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

We had major problems with HSBC, we lived in AD so banked with ADCB and have never had any issues, we won't be moving any time soon
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Very interesting comment for sure. Does your assessment apply only to the retail side, or all of it?
The biggest 'losers' have been those with investment banking arms, but the contagion is spreading. Even at local level, I think we will see more 'strategic stakes and partnerships' from outside, rather than fully-fledged branches in their own right. NB: CBQ taking 40 pct of UAB, QNB taking 40 pct of CBI, etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlemissmo83
Hi there! I am moving to Dubai on Friday and have to pick a bank to start with. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on which banks you have picked, any pro's or cons to them. Or even if there is anything I should avoid?!

Just from knowing them, I am tempted to go with HSBC.

Things I need to be able to do: online banking and transfer money monthly in GBP into my UK account to pay for direct debits already in existence (credit card and Orange mobile contract).

Thank you in advance for your help
I've used ENBD for the past seven years (after bad experiences with HSBC in Bahrain). No complaints so far, good online banking setup and very few issues overall.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC and RAK Bank. HSBC have messed us about a couple of times but always sorted it out. They are well on the ball when it comes to credit card hacking.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Do a proper comparison here: www.souqalmal.com

Choose a bank that offers the services you need and where you can get to a branch as at some point you'll probably have to go in to get something sorted. Find out who your employer uses as that can be a benefit.

By the way, retail banks offer lousy exchange rates for online transfers, so let me know if you'd like info on an alternative system which works for both lump sums and regular transfers
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

what are these 'dreadful' experiences people have had with HSBC? They have never lost my money, they have refunded fraudulent activity on my credit card, never blocked it when I'm travelling, didn't block my accounts when I changed visas etc.

The only thing they did to piss me off was to cut my credit card limit from 50k AED to 10k AED without any consultation which now means I have to pay the damn thing twice a month.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

ENBD gets my vote.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

littlemissmo83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for all the replies. It seems like things are pretty varied. Is there quite a lot of credit card hacking? Should I bring any current bank account statements for proof of ID, or do they only accept passport etc?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:10 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hello littlemissmo83,

Your passport will be fine and ENBD gets my vote also