Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bank Account in UAE for Non-Resident?

Bank Account in UAE for Non-Resident?

Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Il Cavaliere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account in UAE for Non-Resident?

Hi,

Is it possible to open up a bank account in the UAE with being a resident? while I don't intend to move over to the UAE anytime soon however I do intend to keep visiting and purchasing an apartment at some point (not for a year or two yet though) but I would like a bank account.

ADCB Privilege Club, Emirates NBD Priority Banking and NBAD Elite all look like they could fit my requirements banking wise (I am not one for basic banking). I have looked at Barclays and HSBC, Barclays looks like an option although I think overall I prefer one of the three UAE banks

Is it possible to open an account without living in the UAE permanently? or am I out of luck?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bank Account in UAE for Non-Resident?

I initially thought it was not possible and that you need a residency visa in order to open one.

I was however told I am wrong by a few friends - they all opened bank accounts before getting a residency visa. Can't remember which banks but I do know that it is possible
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You can open a bank account as a non resident..but it is only a basic deposit account, you get a debit card but nothing else.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:47 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Before we moved to Dubai in 2005 we opened a Non-resident Savings Account with HSBC which simply gave us an ATM card to access funds. This account was converted to a normal cheque account once we had our visas. Likewise, before we moved to Oman we opened a similar account with the same bank, got an ATM card and converted the account to a normal cheque account once we had our visas.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:52 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Il Cavaliere
Hi,

Is it possible to open up a bank account in the UAE with being a resident? while I don't intend to move over to the UAE anytime soon however I do intend to keep visiting and purchasing an apartment at some point (not for a year or two yet though) but I would like a bank account.

ADCB Privilege Club, Emirates NBD Priority Banking and NBAD Elite all look like they could fit my requirements banking wise (I am not one for basic banking). I have looked at Barclays and HSBC, Barclays looks like an option although I think overall I prefer one of the three UAE banks

Is it possible to open an account without living in the UAE permanently? or am I out of luck?
Just out of interest why are all your posts in various forums about opening bank accounts in different countries? Are you trying to break the world record for the most bank accounts in different countries?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Just out of interest why are all your posts in various forums about opening bank accounts in different countries? Are you trying to break the world record for the most bank accounts in different countries?
Strange, isn't it? You'd think the bloke had something he wished to hide from HMCR...
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:15 pm
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Strange, isn't it? You'd think the bloke had something he wished to hide from HMCR...
I think you mean HMRC
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:17 pm
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hello Il Cavaliere,

Check out this link which you may find of use:

http://www.adib.ae/accounts

Of course, only to be used for legal transactions!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Idolator is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I am not familiar with banking terminology (and I guess this one is a British) but what's the difference between a basic account (with card) and a full checking account? For any country. I don't need to deal with paper checks.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Redlaser99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am new to this forum.
Can anyone tell me if there is any way of opening a non resident bank account in dubai from the Uk. I have a property that will be ready soon and need an account to deposit rent cheques.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Transmitter Man will become famous soon enough
Default Good banks

I will be working on a contract in Dubai commencing early 2016.

I'd like opinions on where best to put ones money, in a local bank or one of the large Internationals?

How do fees compare?

Are there any recommended banks that will allow online applications? I can send passport and existing bank account details by DHL or e-mail?

Many thanks.

David
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

OP I assume that you will not be a resident so merged with this old thread as it is relevant.