British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bank Account - Savings without Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bank-account-savings-without-visa-481716/)

twisty100 Sep 17th 2007 2:47 pm

Bank Account - Savings without Visa

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting HSBC to tell me exactly what is needed to get a bank account when you dont have a visa, I have been told four different things on four different occasions:rofl:and I am getting rather perplexed, I was hoping somebody could shed some personal experience on this for me..?

This is what I was told I need:

1. Must deposit 5000 AED
2. Need 2 x Passport photos
3. Letter from your employer commenting on your personality (?:o)
4. Letter from your European bank, sent via post, to HSBC stating that you are a good customer
5. Original Passport

Everytime I call I get a different story, however I have been told points 1,3,5 on two seperate occasions after pressing for a response and personally visiting the bank. Has anybody done this and know what actually works?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I need to get a bank account ASAP for my company to transfer funds to pay my rent (due next week)...

Thanks,

M

Dago Sep 17th 2007 2:53 pm

Re: Bank Account - Savings without Visa

Get a cash advance against salary from your employer. It is illegal to withold wages. Only the bank can tell you what you need. Your company HR can tell you what you usually need. Don't bring up the subject of not having a visa. All of the requests look normal to me and they may also ask for a copy of your rental agreement. The character reference is a little unusual but I think you are mis-describing what is needed.

oktoberon Sep 17th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 5321599)
Hello all,

I am having trouble getting HSBC to tell me exactly what is needed to get a bank account when you dont have a visa, I have been told four different things on four different occasions:rofl:and I am getting rather perplexed, I was hoping somebody could shed some personal experience on this for me..?

This is what I was told I need:

1. Must deposit 5000 AED
2. Need 2 x Passport photos
3. Letter from your employer commenting on your personality (?:o)
4. Letter from your European bank, sent via post, to HSBC stating that you are a good customer
5. Original Passport

Everytime I call I get a different story, however I have been told points 1,3,5 on two seperate occasions after pressing for a response and personally visiting the bank. Has anybody done this and know what actually works?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I need to get a bank account ASAP for my company to transfer funds to pay my rent (due next week)...

Thanks,

M

HSBC/Emirates Bank for ex pats are the better ones. Under normal circumstances all you need is a passport copy (usual stuff), salary certificate, copy of employment contract plus copious passport sized pics. That should be sufficient to open the account. The account will not be active until the first salary cheque goes in.....

IndieG Sep 17th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5321724)
HSBC/Emirates Bank for ex pats are the better ones. Under normal circumstances all you need is a passport copy (usual stuff), salary certificate, copy of employment contract plus copious passport sized pics. That should be sufficient to open the account. The account will not be active until the first salary cheque goes in.....

Account Opening Form
For a savings/call account you do not have to be a resident/i.e no need of residence visa/employment contract. Residence Visa only required for current accounts (with checking facility)
Passport copy, original passport for verification.
Photographs not required for Lloyds/EBIL/NBD/RAKBANK- unless you're illiterate;)
If you intend to deposit large amounts of dosh - banker's references/previous bank account statements/source of wealth - just to ensure you're not dodgy and don't use your account to launder money.....

twisty100 Sep 17th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5321813)
Account Opening Form
For a savings/call account you do not have to be a resident/i.e no need of residence visa/employment contract. Residence Visa only required for current accounts (with checking facility)
Passport copy, original passport for verification.
Photographs not required for Lloyds/EBIL/NBD/RAKBANK- unless you're illiterate;)
If you intend to deposit large amounts of dosh - banker's references/previous bank account statements/source of wealth - just to ensure you're not dodgy and don't use your account to launder money.....

Great, so for a savings account in any other bank from HSBC, I just need the passport copy and nothing else?

IndieG Sep 17th 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 5321837)
Great, so for a savings account in any other bank from HSBC, I just need the passport copy and nothing else?

Right - will send you a pm.

jvr20 Sep 18th 2007 7:01 am

are there actual savings accounts here? The ones i saw were the same (i.e. measly) rate of interest as a current a/c, the only difference being lack of ATM card...

IndieG Sep 18th 2007 1:02 pm

Very poor rates......you don't get a cheque book with a savings account here:frown:

Meow Sep 18th 2007 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5324137)
are there actual savings accounts here? The ones i saw were the same (i.e. measly) rate of interest as a current a/c, the only difference being lack of ATM card...

Put your money in an offshore account. I don't know why anyone would keep more than day to day expenses in a UAE account.

IndieG Sep 18th 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5325944)
I don't know why anyone would keep more than day to day expenses in a UAE account.

Why not? I keep it in my bank.....get pretty good rates:)

HSBC is currently paying 6% on their super-saver AED account.

dubaibod Sep 18th 2007 6:31 pm

HSBC esaver pays 6% and the term deposit accounts pay between 5 and 6 %.

Unless you have a very large amount of money these rates are the best youa re going to get without doing some funny deals.

dubaibod Sep 18th 2007 6:32 pm

Also,

You should be able to open a current account at HSBC without your residence visa but you just won't get a chequebook until you have given a copy to them (central bank requirement).

Meow Sep 19th 2007 5:16 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5325951)
Why not? I keep it in my bank.....get pretty good rates:)

HSBC is currently paying 6% on their super-saver AED account.

Not about rates. Sharia Law

;)

Dago Sep 19th 2007 6:58 am

Aha.

Yes, Meow has a very good point.

She either means that because usuary is illegal then it is difficult to reconcile receipt of interest.

Or she means that it is not just about interest rates but also about exchange rates too.

Or she asks us to consider what would happen if something happened to the Banking system and if there are more sources of intervention possibly in the region than offshore.

I must say that has caused me to rethink.

IndieG Sep 19th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5328199)
Not about rates. Sharia Law

;)

Sharia Law, as far as inheritance is concerned, only applies to muslims. If you are a non-muslim, then the law of your country applies (not sure what happens if you're from an Islamic country though). If there is no Will, then you'd have to get a probate, get it legalised and the Bank releases your funds.

Best to keep the money in your wife's name:D