Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ban after resigning

Ban after resigning

Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

jebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ban after resigning

If your only concern is making sure you dont get a ban when you leave a company the answer is yes.

The downside is that the Labour Law is not wholly applied in the freezones (I am waiting to see what happens with the Ramadan hours at my company this year), which means that you do not know exactly where you stand. Gratuity calculations also differ. A basic JAFZA contract can state only 7 days gratuity per year - this is regardless of length of service unlike Dubai where the calculation will go up after 3 years and 5 years!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I've also heard that if you have a Master's degree or higher, then the ban law (under UAE law, not the free-zones) does not apply?

Anyone know if it is true?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

jebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud of

Not too sure about that. A lot of the exemptions in Dubai still require an NOC
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I've also heard that if you have a Master's degree or higher, then the ban law (under UAE law, not the free-zones) does not apply?

certain professions are free from banning, teachers, nurses, engineers, and more but I can't remember them all!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie

Normaly a Masters is exempt from any banning in Dubal or the FZ's. Caveat, it depends on the circumstances in which you leave your employment. Labour laws change quite frequently here and are not always published in the 'english speaking press'. I mentioned in a thread not to long ago spend a couple of hundred chips and get sound legal advise from a labour lawyer.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:16 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still pay to have the ban lifted? A friend of mine was advised that she could pay 5,000 dhs to have the ban lifted. I wonder if the new laws are just another money making scheme.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Can you still pay to have the ban lifted? A friend of mine was advised that she could pay 5,000 dhs to have the ban lifted. I wonder if the new laws are just another money making scheme.
You're probably right. Anything that will make money always seems to work here
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure if its true but I have heard that banks are more accomodating if you have a DIFC or similar visa !
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:26 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Im not sure if its true but I have heard that banks are more accomodating if you have a DIFC or similar visa !
Hmm .. interesting. Does DIFC come under a Freezone?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm .. interesting. Does DIFC come under a Freezone?
DIFC is one of the Freezones. So is the DMCC which my company falls under!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:07 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

When I left my company after 2 years of faithful service I was offered an NOC in one hand and my gratuity cheque in the other- I was given the choice of one or the other. But that was 7 years ago and I hope things have progressed since then.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:49 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
When I left my company after 2 years of faithful service I was offered an NOC in one hand and my gratuity cheque in the other- I was given the choice of one or the other. But that was 7 years ago and I hope things have progressed since then.
What a cheek! Catch 22. What did you do?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:03 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

What a cheek! Catch 22. What did you do?
Took the NOC and proceeded to fleece him of every one of his clients! My new company gave me the value of the gratuity as 'commission'.
I wouldn't have bothered otherwise as I'm not one to do that type of thing- I wanted a new job that was all.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:19 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I left my original company in Media City after four months. They gave me my NOC and I joined my new company after a nice 2-week break. I didn't have to leave the country or anything like that, just gave the NOC and my passport to the HR dept of my new company and they got my old visa cancelled and a new one issued.