Reload this Page >

Bahrain - Work Visa, Residency and Timelines

Bahrain - Work Visa, Residency and Timelines

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

ExArab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain - Work Visa, Residency and Timelines

Hey folks,

I have been going through a secondment process with my company here in the US to move to Bahrain for the past few months and now its come to a point where I have been verbally told that they want me to come in by the middle of January 2014. They are working on an offer and I have advised them that if they want me on the ground in Manama by mid January then they better have an acceptable offer for me by mid December.
When asked about the visa, my point of contact in Bahrain (who is not HR) implied that since I hold a US passport, visa should not be an issue at all. I am highly skeptical and I wanted to get a sense from those western passport holders who have been through this process to share their experiences (more recent the experience the better).

What will I need to go through to actually start work and be on payroll in Bahrain? Will I go on a business visa from here in the US and then get a work visa and a resident permit? Bottom line, how long can it take me to get a visa that allows me to work and stay in Bahrain from the time I accept an offer?. Wife will not accompany me immediately so that is not a concern just yet.
Thank you in advance.
Disclaimer: I did browse through the forum and did not get a clear cut answer to my question plus I wanted a more fresh perspective.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bahrain - Work Visa, Residency and Timelines

Originally Posted by ExArab
Hey folks,

I have been going through a secondment process with my company here in the US to move to Bahrain for the past few months and now its come to a point where I have been verbally told that they want me to come in by the middle of January 2014. They are working on an offer and I have advised them that if they want me on the ground in Manama by mid January then they better have an acceptable offer for me by mid December.
When asked about the visa, my point of contact in Bahrain (who is not HR) implied that since I hold a US passport, visa should not be an issue at all. I am highly skeptical and I wanted to get a sense from those western passport holders who have been through this process to share their experiences (more recent the experience the better).

What will I need to go through to actually start work and be on payroll in Bahrain? Will I go on a business visa from here in the US and then get a work visa and a resident permit? Bottom line, how long can it take me to get a visa that allows me to work and stay in Bahrain from the time I accept an offer?. Wife will not accompany me immediately so that is not a concern just yet.
Thank you in advance.
Disclaimer: I did browse through the forum and did not get a clear cut answer to my question plus I wanted a more fresh perspective.
Not 100% sure with respect to a US Passport holder assume it will be the same as for a Brit. Copy documents sent to company in Bahrain, business visa issued in advance, rock up at the LMRA Counter at the airport, fingerprints and eye scan done, appointment date for medical given there and then. Through immigration 2 year visa stamped in passport. Have medical go to LMRA Office with GRO, visa sticker put in passport, get CPR. I did all of the above inside 2 weeks depends on when they give you the appointment for your medical, but you will have your work visa on arrival. Need CPR to buy things like, car, insurance, satellite TV, mobile phone contract, broadband etc., but I had the company do all that for me as well.

Should be a breeze.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

ExArab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bahrain - Work Visa, Residency and Timelines

Originally Posted by Backinthesand
Not 100% sure with respect to a US Passport holder assume it will be the same as for a Brit. Copy documents sent to company in Bahrain, business visa issued in advance, rock up at the LMRA Counter at the airport, fingerprints and eye scan done, appointment date for medical given there and then. Through immigration 2 year visa stamped in passport. Have medical go to LMRA Office with GRO, visa sticker put in passport, get CPR. I did all of the above inside 2 weeks depends on when they give you the appointment for your medical, but you will have your work visa on arrival. Need CPR to buy things like, car, insurance, satellite TV, mobile phone contract, broadband etc., but I had the company do all that for me as well.

Should be a breeze.
Thank you. This helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed now for any further delays.