Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain-Should I move with a young Family? Where?

Bahrain-Should I move with a young Family? Where?

Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Married2a_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Bahrain-Should I move with a young Family? Where?

Greetings all, I have been reading a lot of what you have written and would appreciate your opinions. First, I may be moving to Bahrain with my job which is located in Juffair. My question is, I have 3 little girls under the age of 3 and I would appreciate your honest opinion if you think it is safe for a family to move there? I really would like for them to experience a new culture.

Second question, if we were to move there, what area would you suggest (Adliya, Juffair, Anwaj Islands, etc.) to move to? My accommodation would be about 1650/month BD. Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated. If there are any specific links you think I should read, that would be great also. Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain-Should I move with a young Family? Where?

Juffair has been unaffected by and large by any problems this year so would be fine for work and home. Adliya much the same on both counts

1650 bhd a month for accommodation should get you something on the very nice side of very good. Amwaj is not really suitable for 3 young girls but only because you would need eyes in the back of your head living next to canals and the sea. It does look nice there though

About experiencing a different culture..... Bahrain doesnt have any so dont come here under that illusion. Its nicer than Saudi but not as calm as Dubai/AD and definitely more claustrophobic than Oman.

Keep an eye on the news and read some of the old posts for background. It is generally quiet these days and you can live without ever being affected by the disloyal locals so dont worry about those.

Good luck and have fun house hunting. They're arent too many people looking in the 1650 house bracket at the moment so you should have a good choice and haggle hard hey
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Slight mod, check facebook as it appears that there is trouble this evening at the mosque end of Juffair

First time there has been any bother there so dont let it bother you. Probably couple of kids throwing stones
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Married2a_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Bahrain-Should I move with a young Family? Where?

Thank you for the info you provided, I really appreciate it!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:44 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Honestly..really have a deep think about this..If its the opportunity of a lifetime and its going to set you up go for it. But do really want to spend every day worrying whether "something" bad might happen and you have to get out of dodge in a hurry with your wife a three little girls? Things are not getting better ..This place is a tinderbox...And as Tock mentioned..This will not be a culturally enlightening experience for your family...Its all about the $$ here..

Last edited by heartofdarkness; Oct 8th 2011 at 1:55 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness
Honestly..really have a deep think about this..If its the opportunity of a lifetime and its going to set you up go for it. But do really want to spend every day worrying whether "something" bad might happen and you have to get out of dodge in a hurry with your wife a three little girls? Things are not getting better ..This place is a tinderbox...And as Tock mentioned..This will not be a culturally enlightening experience for your family...Its all about the $$ here..
I agree with this. I left Bahrain about 2 months ago and I can't say I have regretted my decision to bail for a second since. People will tell you that life goes on and that it isn't that bad, but the fact is that it is a ticking bomb.

I think it is probably fine to live and work there if you are single, but I would not bring my family there. It is just not worth it. What would you do if they were hurt because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Could you live with yourself knowing you put them in that situation? I know I couldn't.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with all of the above. I'm here with a young family and in some ways we have a great quality of life but would I move here now, knowing the situation? I'm not sure that I could do it.

Living somewhere where this situation has developed around you and you know the score is wholly different to arriving somewhere not really knowing a safe area from a trouble hotspot.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Have to agree with all of the above. I'm here with a young family and in some ways we have a great quality of life but would I move here now, knowing the situation? I'm not sure that I could do it.

Living somewhere where this situation has developed around you and you know the score is wholly different to arriving somewhere not really knowing a safe area from a trouble hotspot.
Have to agree also with all the above, us having gone through the unrest have become somewhat oblivious to it all, and see unrest as the norm each weekend, but as a newbie coming here with a young family it could be quite anxious times until you get used to it, and if you are coming from a leafy suburb in UK it will take some time indeed.

My own opinion for accommodation for 1650BD would be Amwaj, no troubles and good security and only 20 minutes to Juffair for work over the bridge.
Culture, their is none, but an experience all the same.

As heartofdarkness says it's all about the $$.