British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bahrain saftey for Asia women (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-saftey-asia-women-770276/)

jimhurt Sep 2nd 2012 6:47 am

Bahrain saftey for Asia women

Hello Folks

I did 7 long years in Kuwait and the worst part of it was the dangers my wife , a Thai national, and her mates faced from the local Kuwaiti blokes - essentially the country is sexual assualt central and not a day past when an Asia women wasn't either taken or someone tried. It was a real worry, so much so they they only went out in 3s and 4s in a trusted taxi.

Anyway, we are moving to Bahrain and I wonder what the local situation is there - much of the same or the locals aren't into a good ol rapin in some cattle pen?

Any advice would b much appreciated

Cheers

camel jockey Sep 2nd 2012 11:04 am

Re: Bahrain saftey for Asia women

Originally Posted by jimhurt (Post 10259533)
Hello Folks
Anyway, we are moving to Bahrain and I wonder what the local situation is there - much of the same or the locals aren't into a good ol rapin in some cattle pen?

Any advice would b much appreciated

Cheers

erm... not quite sure how to respond...:huh:

Bahrain is a friendly place despite what has happened over the past 18 months. Stay away from Exhibition Road & perhaps Juffair on Wednesday and Thursday nights (ie. all the neighbours from the causeway come along to have some 'fun') and you'll be grand. Breathe easy... it's a lovely little island and it is what you make of it so have some fun and try not to worry about things being repeated here. It's very different to Kuwait! Hope you guys enjoy it here :thumbsup:

jimhurt Sep 2nd 2012 12:24 pm

Not quite sure why I stayed that long! It really was quite dangerous and there were many gang rapes (which always seemed to happen in cattle pens).

Thanks for the post, definately bearthing easier - a friend had said it was a lot safer than Kuwait and your post reflects that.

Great post, thank you.

Tockalosh Sep 3rd 2012 11:00 am

I think Bahrain is generally safe for Asian women and particularly Asian women with a European husband but lets also be honest. Every Asian woman will get approached if in the wrong bit of town where gentlemen go looking for a bit of fee paying Thai
Also some of the expat community may think you are dragging around your long term ho and thats because many white Europeans do just that.

Once you have a circle of friends you will be fine.

heartofdarkness Sep 3rd 2012 11:07 am

Tock your priceless :rofl:

Tockalosh Sep 3rd 2012 11:45 am

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 10261324)
Tock your priceless :rofl:

I know :)

But we all know it's true

jimhurt Sep 3rd 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10261312)
I think Bahrain is generally safe for Asian women and particularly Asian women with a European husband but lets also be honest. Every Asian woman will get approached if in the wrong bit of town where gentlemen go looking for a bit of fee paying Thai
Also some of the expat community may think you are dragging around your long term ho and thats because many white Europeans do just that.

Once you have a circle of friends you will be fine.

Ah well, such is life - there are cocks everywhere who take their opinion from the Daily Mail and form their assumptions from there. And lets be honest, expats should be a bit more worldly but, still, the cocks remain.

Getting approached isn't really my concern, my Mrs can hold her own, its the prolific sex crimes that were evidenced every day in Kuwait that concerns me. It was a dangerous place for her to walk alone and I want to assess the risk for my wife in Bahrain.

My main concern is not being accepted by or searching out a circle of friends, I couldn't give a monkey's what a transient populace think - hell, she's 5 foot **** all and I'm 6 foot 6, I gave up caring what people thought 15 years ago, whilst living in deepest darkest Thailand since I was a wee laddy.

This is all about her safety

mentalist Sep 3rd 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jimhurt (Post 10261811)
Ah well, such is life - there are cocks everywhere who take their opinion from the Daily Mail and form their assumptions from there. And lets be honest, expats should be a bit more worldly but, still, the cocks remain.

I know exactly how you feel mate, but sadly there are a few such cocks (and hens for that matter) alive and well on this website. As for your wife's safety, I wouldn't under-estimate her ability to avoid trouble. Bahrain is a small place and most people are known to each other, which does help, unlike Saudi Arabia, which is much dodgier.

jimhurt Sep 3rd 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10261842)
I know exactly how you feel mate, but sadly there are a few such cocks (and hens for that matter) alive and well on this website. As for your wife's safety, I wouldn't under-estimate her ability to avoid trouble. Bahrain is a small place and most people are known to each other, which does help, unlike Saudi Arabia, which is much dodgier.

Operation normal.

A lot of Gulf hands spend their down time as sextourists in Asia (and get burn by the brasses as they would in any knocking shop) - that, coupled with a 'tards outlook, can instill in a mind that the nations' populace are all on the game. I won't lose any sleep over it, takes all sorts to make the world go around, right?

Thanks for the comments, its definately looking like a better posting from wifey's perspective. :thumbsup:

nonthaburi Sep 4th 2012 8:30 am

I'm in a kind of similar position , I'm in Saudi at the moment waiting for the paperwork to go through so that my wife and kids can join me . I've wondered about how she will be treated . I'm not worried about violence particulary as she wouldn't be out on her own anyway .

Generally I think Saudis are family friendly so hopefully it will be okay .

heartofdarkness Sep 4th 2012 8:42 am

Think you'll be fine in Saudi. The problem here is when the injuns get into the firewater. They just assume every women is a hooker...

Boomhauer Sep 4th 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jimhurt (Post 10261811)
Getting approached isn't really my concern, my Mrs can hold her own, its the prolific sex crimes that were evidenced every day in Kuwait that concerns me. It was a dangerous place for her to walk alone and I want to assess the risk for my wife in Bahrain.

Wow, is it as bad you are saying? I left the GCC in the mid 90s, and always had the impression that the public sphere was pretty safe for women.

mentalist Sep 4th 2012 11:31 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10262826)
Generally I think Saudis are family friendly so hopefully it will be okay .

Yes, Saudi families (like families anywhere) are okay. It's the bachelors you need to watch out for, both Saudi and non-Saudi, who often roam the streets in groups looking for some action to alleviate the boredom. I have witnessed Saudi youths in the back streets of Jeddah pretending to be CID officers, picking on young Indian men and driving off with them in their SUV's to do God knows what with them. Fortunately, many such youths seem to prefer guys to girls!

Boomhauer Sep 4th 2012 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10263078)
Yes, Saudi families (like families anywhere) are okay. It's the bachelors you need to watch out for, both Saudi and non-Saudi, who often roam the streets in groups looking for some action to alleviate the boredom. I have witnessed Saudi youths in the back streets of Jeddah pretending to be CID officers, picking on young Indian men and driving off with them in their SUV's to do God knows what with them. Fortunately, many such youths seem to prefer guys to girls!

Drifting, which tends to attract poorer, more marginal men, has also been an unlikely nexus between homosexuality, crime and jihadism since it emerged 30 years ago. Homoerotic desire is a constant theme in Saudi songs and poems about drifting, and accomplished drifters are said to have their pick of the prettiest boys among the spectators.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/wo...rift.html?_r=1

jimhurt Sep 4th 2012 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10262849)
Wow, is it as bad you are saying? I left the GCC in the mid 90s, and always had the impression that the public sphere was pretty safe for women.

As I said, I did 7 years in Kuwait recently. Read the papers and you can see for yourself.

Aside, if you left nealy 20 years ago, what you doing here?