Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain rent rules OK

Bahrain rent rules OK

Old May 10th 2009, 10:06 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Bahrain rent rules OK

At the risk of being accused of "Bashing Bahrain" again
anyone want 4 lodgers?

The circumstances.
Land lord increased rent by 50%.

No where else available at the time so we signed new agreement for 1 year.

2 weeks later they rip up the pool and close the squash court, both to be closed until end of July.
They reduce maintenance to just above zero.
They dump tons of construction materials on the street in front.
They now hoard rubbish in bin bags until they have enough to fill a skip encouraging the rats that already inhabit the gardens.

We say we are leaving because of the above.

LL very pissed off and says we must pay remainder (9 months) rent or they will file a case against us in court.
I can see why he's pissed off as we are the third out of only 8 houses to tell him we want out.

Our lawyer said we had a very good claim to move especially as the events are documented with photo's.........
until he saw the name of the land lord.........Khalifa. His words "You are screwed".

I say sod it and tell them we are staying.......

Now this is our 4th day without a/c and they said they have told their lawyer to file against us for tampering with it.

We now face the very real threat of being evicted AND having to pay 9 months rent.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:08 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bahrain rent rules OK

Stop bashing Bahrain
Old May 10th 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like ad to me!
Old May 10th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Which law firm did you go through?

Try Hatim Zu'bi (think it's 1752 5353 or 1753 5252, will check at work tomorrow for you). They deal with a lot of tenancy issues but not sure of their fees.

Unfortunately if your landlord is part of the royal family, it is a lot harder to fight such things and Bahrain has yet to set up a facility like the Rental Committee in Dubai BUT in saying that things have shown improvement.

My friends LL tried to triple her rent (royal family also) but then off she went to the lawyer.. it did get sorted though. She didn't have her rent increased by the amount that the LL wanted but it was increased but only as per Bahraini Law.

Best of luck x
Old May 10th 2009, 8:00 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by camel jockey
Which law firm did you go through?

Try Hatim Zu'bi (think it's 1752 5353 or 1753 5252, will check at work tomorrow for you). They deal with a lot of tenancy issues but not sure of their fees.

Unfortunately if your landlord is part of the royal family, it is a lot harder to fight such things and Bahrain has yet to set up a facility like the Rental Committee in Dubai BUT in saying that things have shown improvement.

My friends LL tried to triple her rent (royal family also) but then off she went to the lawyer.. it did get sorted though. She didn't have her rent increased by the amount that the LL wanted but it was increased but only as per Bahraini Law.

Best of luck x
Thanks but tried them first, Bab al Bahrain building 1st floor. Said had a good case and would send letter next day but sat on it for a week then passed it to an aid who sat on it some more.

Time was moving on so took it to a Bahraini chap who told us we were screwed. He suggested first lawyer sat on it for same reason.

Seems LL wants us out AND 9 months rent as market is going down due to folks leaving and newbies not coming in. Estate agents theory is he wants to relet (2 year lease) before bubble bursts after the summer break.

On the positive side, we had a good clearout!
Old May 10th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

LostInBahrain is an unknown quantity at this point

why didnt you just invoke the diplomatic clause, thats what i am doing...
Old May 11th 2009, 5:15 am
Banned

We considered that but we will be in Bahrain for next 5 years minimum and this place is too small.

Example, the new place we found turns out now to belong to our LL's nephew!
This came out when we told him we were stuck.
Fooled me, Ben from Brighton suddenly became Salman from Bahrain!
Funnily enough yesterday he donned his Bahraini hat, (or should that be gutra?) and said we had caused
HIM problems as he had painted the house and fitted a new cooker.

We had given him 1 months rent to reserve the place, luckily we did not sign a contract with him.

The whole thing is really distracting, not knowing what's next.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Your rent increases by 50% and you sign for another year?! What the .... there are plenty of places available... surely you could have made a plan?

The squash court and pool getting fixed and available end July- can't see what the big deal is- inconvenient but these things happen?

Messing around with their air conditioning?

Get the feeling you're doing yourself no favours.

Originally Posted by eylesda
and this place is too small.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:25 pm
Banned

We were told verbally that rent would increase by 10% but were hit with 50% increase 1 month before end of the rental period.

He said that was the market price.

We looked around for that month and found nothing suitable.

As we could cover the increase we signed a new contract with all intentions of staying. Only then did things start going wrong.

I'm not whinging so much about the pool which could have been fixed during the winter, but the general untidiness of the place and their don't give a toss attitude.

I sent them photos of the piles of bin bags, the garbage lying around and even of a rat sitting on the wall.

Their only reaction was to try and do me for screwing with the a/c, not "we'll tidy the place up or get rid of the rats"!

That's what hacked me off. And why the ***** would anyone want to mess with the a/c knowing how long it now takes to get anything fixed though we did get it back on last night and it turned out the fan motor had burned out.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

In that case, fair enough- I would be miffed too.

I'm surprised by the landlord- know some-one related and a fantastic person.

As posted, diplomatic clause is definitely a viable option.

Another way would be to change your tune- see if that smooths things out- my guess at the mo you're at the very least quite vocal and aggressive? You will get no joy if that's the case.

There are some great landlords- Yateem is one of them- if they come up grab it.

Good luck.

We were told verbally that rent would increase by 10% but were hit with 50% increase 1 month before end of the rental period.

He said that was the market price.

We looked around for that month and found nothing suitable.

As we could cover the increase we signed a new contract with all intentions of staying. Only then did things start going wrong.

I'm not whinging so much about the pool which could have been fixed during the winter, but the general untidiness of the place and their don't give a toss attitude.

I sent them photos of the piles of bin bags, the garbage lying around and even of a rat sitting on the wall.

Their only reaction was to try and do me for screwing with the a/c, not "we'll tidy the place up or get rid of the rats"!

That's what hacked me off. And why the ***** would anyone want to mess with the a/c knowing how long it now takes to get anything fixed though we did get it back on last night and it turned out the fan motor had burned out.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:41 pm
Banned

That's exactly the tack we are taking but they don't let up!

Great they fixed the a/c, I even emailed a thankyou, but tonight I get an email back saying they are sending someone round to report on exactly what the problem was and "If you caused it there will be serious consequences".

Part of the problem is LL's daughter is working the office and sending this crap, probably some little rich tart without a clue.

I know loads of good guys too but am not surprised by some of their attitudes. Usually the case of the less they have the more they strut around.

This guys in serious shit as just finishing off a new compound next door (hence the lack of maintenence here) and the banks are pushing for their loans to be repaid. This he told me himself when we were "friends".
Old May 12th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Thanks but tried them first, Bab al Bahrain building 1st floor. Said had a good case and would send letter next day but sat on it for a week then passed it to an aid who sat on it some more.
Oh cr*p, sorry!
Old May 18th 2009, 6:16 am
Banned

Update;

Our situation has reached unbearable. The a/c is still crap and their advice is to run it full belt 24/7. They refuse to do any more. An independent firm says the compressors are worn out but fixable for BD 500 but LL is having none of it. Says I am not allowed to remove the compressors for repair as are not my property.

We found two of his men camped out trying to determine if we had the a/c on and reporting back to their boss.

The place is still a tip even after presenting him with photos of garbage piled up, rats and building materials all over the place.

Any and all lawyers consulted say he is Khalifah and won't touch it.

We move this weekend to another house, smaller, more expensive but far more pleasant than where we are now.

My thoughts are that LL wants us out, hence zero maintenance, but he is in for a surprise. if I have to pay 2 lots of rent then I will have 2 lots of house and I will not give a toss about water leaks or whatever else. Wife a bit miffed at leaving the garden, her words "why should the grass suffer"!!!!
Old May 18th 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

LostInBahrain is an unknown quantity at this point

Update;

Our situation has reached unbearable. The a/c is still crap and their advice is to run it full belt 24/7. They refuse to do any more. An independent firm says the compressors are worn out but fixable for BD 500 but LL is having none of it. Says I am not allowed to remove the compressors for repair as are not my property.

We found two of his men camped out trying to determine if we had the a/c on and reporting back to their boss.

The place is still a tip even after presenting him with photos of garbage piled up, rats and building materials all over the place.

Any and all lawyers consulted say he is Khalifah and won't touch it.

We move this weekend to another house, smaller, more expensive but far more pleasant than where we are now.

My thoughts are that LL wants us out, hence zero maintenance, but he is in for a surprise. if I have to pay 2 lots of rent then I will have 2 lots of house and I will not give a toss about water leaks or whatever else. Wife a bit miffed at leaving the garden, her words "why should the grass suffer"!!!!
You should really rename this thread 'How to make a bad situation worse', my god you handled this so badly and although I feel some sympathy lets say it is not knee deep...
Old May 18th 2009, 10:20 am
Banned

How else could it have been handled? I'll listen to anyone.

We did nothing wrong apart from complain about the mess
and the rubbish piling up.

The pool mods were an inconvenience but nothing more.
I don't know what rent you are paying but at BD 1,200 per month I do not expect garbage bags lying around, rats and building rubbish in front of and it three seperate piles inside the compound.

Below are photos of the compound entrance, garbage piled up and Mickey the rat on our garden wall!

This has been going on since mid February and no signs of change.

Anyway, sorted now and looking forward to moving.
Attached Thumbnails Bahrain rent rules OK-picture1.jpg   Bahrain rent rules OK-picture2.jpg   Bahrain rent rules OK-picture3.jpg   Bahrain rent rules OK-picture4.jpg   Bahrain rent rules OK-swimming-pool-steps-now-storage-area..jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.