Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain, Qatar or Oman??

Bahrain, Qatar or Oman??

Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

smileymiley1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain, Qatar or Oman??

I have got potential job offers in these 3 places can anybody tell me which is the best location for a young couple in their late 20s?!? ie Nightlife, things to do etc
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain, Qatar or Oman??

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980
I have got potential job offers in these 3 places can anybody tell me which is the best location for a young couple in their late 20s?!? ie Nightlife, things to do etc
Bahrain definitely for 'things to do'.

Qatar is the 'up and coming' place in the region in many ways, but that's a work-related view only.

Oman is full of nice people who think that, if something needs to be done in the next week, it is perfectly OK not to even start doing it for the next six and a half days...........
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

To make money probably Qatar.

But if you want to live in place full of diverse yet similarly warm, friendly and amazingly genuine people, a place that also has natural beauty that is diverse and unmatched in the Gulf then Oman is the one.

Also, unlike other gulf states, most western expat jobs in Oman are usually only in senior management roles so maybe salaries will be higher then the locals I know, but either way I was told 1000 OR=£700-800 per month is enough to live like a king, and some of my friends in Salalah are getting 300-400 or per month and driving new cars and have money in their pockets.

So, its common knowledge that Omanis are the best lot in the Gulf?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Oman is great, a big Country lost of variety with the Scenery and the Omanis have not been touched by the hand of greed and averace like Qatar and Dubai.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:52 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qataruser
............the Omanis have not been touched by the hand of greed and averace like Qatar and Dubai.
Slow down there hoss! Not to the same extent but it is leaking in. Oman watched Dubai grow next door but also watched them make mistakes and have probably learned a lot for good and bad.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Oman is a great place but for somebody in the their 20's who likes to go out, you will soon get bored, there is a handful of decent pubs (may be 5) in the whole of Muscat and 1 decent "club". Its not really that lively but don't let that put you off!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

The first thing you mention in your post is nightlife, not the great outdoors.

Therefore, of the three, Bahrain is for you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree Bahrain for the nightlife, Muscat didn't seem to really have any "buzz" when I visited in 2006.

Qatar has one decent club, actually that's probably a lie, although they are making an effort with the Dip Club and Hed Kandi has been in doha a few times but over all Bahrain has more going on and is more established.