British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bahrain NOC/ work permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-noc-work-permit-552615/)

heartofdarkness Aug 1st 2008 12:57 pm

Bahrain NOC/ work permit

Hello all..I finally took the plunge after 7 months of tedious negotiation (they finally broke me) Was wondering how long the visa process takes in Bahrain. They started the process about two weeks ago I believe and my NOC still hasn't been approved. If the govt bureaucracy is anything like my employers my kids are going to miss the first month of school..

Dutchie Aug 1st 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Bahrain NOC/ work permit

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 6635618)
Hello all..I finally took the plunge after 7 months of tedious negotiation (they finally broke me) Was wondering how long the visa process takes in Bahrain. They started the process about two weeks ago I believe and my NOC still hasn't been approved. If the govt bureaucracy is anything like my employers my kids are going to miss the first month of school..

And if you get your work permit you'll love the 1001 roundabouts the Bahraini's have and just seem to love so much. It amazes me they actually don't make them for the few camels walking around there as well ;) On a serious note? I know worse places to be in the Middle East. Have fun over there .

macteepee Aug 1st 2008 5:02 pm

^^ Dutchie, there's a few less roundabouts these days - slowly being replaced with traffic lights (incredibly slowly in some places!)

heartofdarkness - re the NOC, hubby's was scanned and emailed to us before we left (contract was only signed about 6wks prior) and the hard copy was waiting at the airport when we arrived. Things have changed a bit recently with visa processing (I'm not sure of the changes exactly), so perhaps things have changed with that.

heartofdarkness Aug 1st 2008 5:16 pm

thanks..so it looks like I've got a bit more of a wait...and I heard its rather pleasant there now!

Dutchie Aug 1st 2008 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 6636422)
^^ Dutchie, there's a few less roundabouts these days - slowly being replaced with traffic lights (incredibly slowly in some places!)

heartofdarkness - re the NOC, hubby's was scanned and emailed to us before we left (contract was only signed about 6wks prior) and the hard copy was waiting at the airport when we arrived. Things have changed a bit recently with visa processing (I'm not sure of the changes exactly), so perhaps things have changed with that.

Thank god !!!! Used to irritate the hell out of me those roundabouts, smack in the middle of nowhere (As if that's often possible on that tiny island but...) . :p

Dutchie Aug 1st 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 6636459)
thanks..so it looks like I've got a bit more of a wait...and I heard its rather pleasant there now!

Hi Heartofdarkness,

Bahrain is a great place to be, loads of expats mostly UK. Great night life and eating out possibilities. A little pearl in the Middle East.

Dutchie

heartofdarkness Aug 1st 2008 5:24 pm

I'm really looking forward to it, another adventure..its the wife and kids that are apprehensive

Dutchie Aug 1st 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 6636484)
I'm really looking forward to it, another adventure..its the wife and kids that are apprehensive

Believe me, once they "discover" Bahrain you have a second full time job keeping them indoors. Also for kids, mega loads to do over there as I remember.

heartofdarkness Aug 2nd 2008 6:44 pm

Macteepee..where you able to travel with your husband and stay in Bahrain with his NOC while residency permit was being proceeed? Im being told that family would have to leave for a week while thier visas processed, which can't be done till I have an RP..thanks

t19hlr Aug 3rd 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 6635618)

It took 3 weeks to get my NOC, apparently for British nationals it usually only takes 10 days, so 3 weeks wasn't too bad considering some things take months here!! CPR was done in 2 days, and the agent is going to the immigration today to get my visa stamped. So all in all it's taken just over 4 weeks.

macteepee Aug 4th 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness (Post 6639442)
Macteepee..where you able to travel with your husband and stay in Bahrain with his NOC while residency permit was being proceeed? Im being told that family would have to leave for a week while thier visas processed, which can't be done till I have an RP..thanks

heartofdarkness - hubby's company had my passport for processing from the day after we arrived (mid Jan) until the first week of June. I had it back for a day or two when I went for an interview, but didn't get off the island until 2nd week of June when I got my cpr + stamp. So essentially, I couldn't travel as they had my passport, but they also did all my visa extensions, so I never had to leave or do a 'visa run'.

So basically, no I never had to leave - but every company probably does things a bit differently. As I've mentioned before, I'm sure the ladies on the EW board would be more helpful re family visas..

camel jockey Aug 4th 2008 4:38 pm

No one will have to leave in order for permits to be processed. Depending on your nationality you can get a visit visa on arrival which will then be transferred to your residency. It all depends on the company which your employers use to do visas, some (as in Macteepee's) will try and hold on the your passport for ever and day. If you pull them up on it they are usually all smiles and apologies though. IMHO I wouldn't give them my passport until the day they are actually going to stamp the visa in it, they can make do with photocopies until then. Don't know how your employers will be if you do that but mine were brilliant.. it lit a fire under their *ss and it got done quick smart!

heartofdarkness Aug 4th 2008 5:29 pm

I'm American as my kids. My wife is Singaporean. I will be working for a local bank. What HR is telling me is if my family travels with me initially, they will have to leave the country for ten days while the family visa is procesed. This seems to contradict everything I am hearing. School starts on Aug 20. I'm still waiting for NOC and starting to panic!

camel jockey Aug 5th 2008 7:54 pm

Both Singaporian & American passport holders can get a visa on arrival or you can get it on the internet.

http://www.evisa.gov.bh/

If you do get it via the net, make sure not to get it too far in advance because it is only valid for a certain time after you purchase.

The visa is only valid for two weeks but can be extended once here. I have never heard of a company asking the family to leave for ten days though. I am in the process of organising new visas for someone at work so will ask the agency tomorrow if they have heard of it before.

Good luck!

heartofdarkness Aug 5th 2008 8:14 pm

thanks..much appreciated