Reload this Page >

Bahrain help please

Bahrain help please

Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain help please

Hi
We are looking at positions at the moment in both Dubai and Bahrain and would love to hear from anyone who has small children that could offer some help. We are currently in Dubai on the way back from Barbados to NZ with the intention of returning here or Bahrain. My husband has been offered jobs in both and we are unsure which would be the best place to live with a 4 year old and 1 year old. We have only been in DUbai for three days so can't really make an assessment. It seems that schools in both places could prove to be a problem with long waitlists. We are used to living island life so the size of Bahrain is not a problem provided that there are some childrens activities to do. Where is the best place to live in Bahrain where there are other children around? Is St Christophers the best school to attend? Are there toddler groups or other things to do with children in Bahrain? Sorry so many questions but we have come here and don't really have the months to plan like most people do. We may not even head back to NZ as the thought of flying all that way seems horrendous with the kids so if my husband gets an offer this week we will stay. Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all
Default Re: Bahrain help please

Ok... where to start??

Depending on where the kiddies go to school is where you should probably consider living. In saying that most expats tend to be around the Budaiya/Saar area. This is where the new St Chris campus is located. The British School has just relocated to a fab new campus in Hamala and a lot of families are now moving to around here as well. It's also just a 5-10 min drive from St Chris.

St Chris has a varied reputation, I would suggest going their yourself and form you own opinion. I myself think the fees are just outragous and won't even consider it for that reason alone. It is cheaper to send my little one back home to a decent boarding school then pay the fees there! The British School fees are more decent and they have a very good reputation.

I haven't sent my son yet (he's 21 months) but have been doing research and have to apply now for him to get accepted for later down the track.. Also have a 11 week old so don't have to worry about her just yet

Even preschools here are so over priced.. 540BD per term is something that I just can't justify for that age, would rather put it in a college fund!

Sorry for the rant about school fees but I just find it amazing!

Let me know if you have anymore question and would be glad to help out x

Where is the best place to live in Bahrain where there are other children around? Is St Christophers the best school to attend? Are there toddler groups or other things to do with children in Bahrain?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:08 am
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi CJ, I have just sent you a pm

cheers
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:33 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hijack the thread..Camel jockey..do you know if there a long waitlist at the British School? Just confirmed my move and need to work out scool situation quickly..thanks
Old Jul 26th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness
Sorry to hijack the thread..Camel jockey..do you know if there a long waitlist at the British School? Just confirmed my move and need to work out scool situation quickly..thanks

Yes there is a waitlist, not sure of the length. I believe that it differs depending on the childs age. If you do have to go on a waitlist would recommend Nadeem school while you are awaiting the place is BS..
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

kirstylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have lived in Bahrain for the last 6 years. Both my children attend The British School, which they love!! My best advice would be to visit both St Chris and The British School to get a feel of them. Lots of people have very different views about both schools, but I trully believe that it comes down to how you and your children feel once you have a look around. Teaching standards are equally as high, but achieved in slightly different ways!!!

As the Brit School, up to Year 4, has moved up to Hamala you would be best off looking around Budayia, Saar, Jasra, Hamala area for Villas. As St Chris is also based in this area as well.

Property is really expensive at the moment, so make sure your company agrees to a decent rent budget before you make any decisions!! Also the school fees are getting higher and higher!!

The British Club has a nice toddler group and you dont have to be a member to attend.

Hope this helps!!!!