Is Bahrain Good For Families?

Is Bahrain Good For Families?

Old May 31st 2010, 7:17 pm
JRA
Just Joined

JRA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Bahrain Good For Families?

Hi there.

I have been offered a decent package in Bahrain. I have two boys (1 and 3) and want to know if you would recommend the island for families.

It would be a bit of a life changer for me (currently live in the UK) but the happiness of my wife and kids is paramount.

Would love to hear the views of those who have lived/been there.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Bahrain Good For Families?

Originally Posted by JRA
Hi there.

I have been offered a decent package in Bahrain. I have two boys (1 and 3) and want to know if you would recommend the island for families.

It would be a bit of a life changer for me (currently live in the UK) but the happiness of my wife and kids is paramount.

Would love to hear the views of those who have lived/been there.
If you have a villa with a pool then I would say it's ok. If not, then no.

It get's hot, and there are no beaches.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

Minor obstacles................

It's the best place to live and work in the region, with a number of very good schools. Crime is low, there are some superb restaurants, and most public places are very child-friendly.

I personally know of more long-termers here than anywhere else (many Brits have been here for 20-plus years).

Not cheap though, so it's worth checking exactly what is included in your package, and how far it will stretch.

Go for it.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

Plenty of beaches - both associated with hotels/resorts and public/wild beaches!

I second The Dean's comments. I've been 4 years in Bahrain, 2 years Qatar, 2 Years UAE and just over 1 year KSA now, so have a reasonable perspective on the region.

Being somewhat contrarian, I had the best time in Qatar, however, Bahrain was a close second.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Its excellent for families.
Generally all compounds excepts some tiny affairs have communal pools which are generally better than a private pool if you have a 1 year old toddling about however there are huge amounts with private pools so no worries if you do insist on one.
Loads of kids groups everywhere and the mums soon settle into social circles.
Couple of cheap family orientated clubs that wont break the bank to join.
Schools as said are good
No restrictions on coming or going from the island as you please
Only minor downside is no direct flights to Northern England. No problems if you are Suvner.
Be cautious of salaries that sound good in Sterling as at the moment it may not be that clever in local currency

PM me if you have any specific questions
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Go for it!
We loved it. Schools are good, lots of activities for children and parents.
The island is tiny though. Just make sure, that you get out often enough before the cabin fever takes you.
Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:50 pm
JRA
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Its excellent for families.
Generally all compounds excepts some tiny affairs have communal pools which are generally better than a private pool if you have a 1 year old toddling about however there are huge amounts with private pools so no worries if you do insist on one.
Loads of kids groups everywhere and the mums soon settle into social circles.
Couple of cheap family orientated clubs that wont break the bank to join.
Schools as said are good
No restrictions on coming or going from the island as you please
Only minor downside is no direct flights to Northern England. No problems if you are Suvner.
Be cautious of salaries that sound good in Sterling as at the moment it may not be that clever in local currency

PM me if you have any specific questions
Many thanks Tockalosh.

I am unable to PM you as I do not have enough posts for the administrator to allow (I need 4).

The package is about £60k (this includes health care, fuel and 1 trip home a year for the family). Can I live comfortably for that in a 3 bed villa and still have something left to save?

Can you also tell me roughly how much it is to hire a car per month?

Really appreciate your feedback.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRA
Many thanks Tockalosh.

I am unable to PM you as I do not have enough posts for the administrator to allow (I need 4).

The package is about £60k (this includes health care, fuel and 1 trip home a year for the family). Can I live comfortably for that in a 3 bed villa and still have something left to save?

Can you also tell me roughly how much it is to hire a car per month?

Really appreciate your feedback.
I have no idea about prices in Bahrain but this wouldn't stack up for you in the UAE. I assume Bahrain is just as expensive as the UAE (taxis I noticed were loads more)
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM'd you

think you only need 3 posts anyway so hoof a spurioius one on
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM'd you

think you only need 3 posts anyway so hoof a spurioius one on
What is the current accomodation situation in Bahrain? What sort of allowance would you recomend for a family of 4?

£60k sounds a bit light to me, although my previous experience in the UAE may have tainted my views of the cost of living in the Middle East! £60k plus accomodation sounds like a better starting point for negotiations....
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
What is the current accomodation situation in Bahrain? What sort of allowance would you recomend for a family of 4?

£60k sounds a bit light to me, although my previous experience in the UAE may have tainted my views of the cost of living in the Middle East! £60k plus accomodation sounds like a better starting point for negotiations....

1300-1400 dinars per month for nice on-compound 4 bed Saar/Janabiya
1100-1400 dinars per month stand alone villa in Saar
1800 dinars a month for state of the art super Gucci stand alone overlooking the sea in Hamala
900 dinars a month for 5 bed super size in Riffa

All unfurnished all exclusive

take ya pick/ All prices are valid at time of going to press
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

1800 dinars a month for state of the art super Gucci stand alone overlooking the sea in Hamala

Big 4-bed apartments now available in Abraj Lulu (or whatever it's called) for 1000 pm (unfurnished, I assume).
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:58 pm
JRA
Just Joined

OK. This is my 3rd post. I should be open for PM's now.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

paulbkk is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the right package for family with two kids plus modern life style..?