Reload this Page >

Bahrain or Dubai???

Bahrain or Dubai???

Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

philipbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain or Dubai???

First time poster so bear with me…

Ive got 2 job offers from 2 international advertising agencies one in Bahrain and One in Dubai. Very similar package in both cases £38k (is this average?) inclusive, for a senior designer role. Ive checked house and car prices so have a good idea on those but was wondering what the true cost of living is in either country. Also if anyone has experience with living in both countries which one would they choose? Im 25yo male but not that fussed on clubbing etc etc so the better club scene in Dubai doesnt really bother me.

Thanks for your help in advance

Phil
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bahrain or Dubai???

Your 38K will definitely go much further in Bahrain.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philipbang

Ive got 2 job offers from 2 international advertising agencies one in Bahrain and One in Dubai. Very similar package in both cases £38k (is this average?) inclusive, for a senior designer role. Ive checked house and car prices so have a good idea on those but was wondering what the true cost of living is in either country. Also if anyone has experience with living in both countries which one would they choose? Im 25yo male but not that fussed on clubbing etc etc so the better club scene in Dubai doesnt really bother me.

Phil
My three favourite Middle East things:

1 - live and work in Bahrain
2 - get struck by lightning while standing in a puddle and holding a metal rod above my head
3 - live and work in Dubai
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
My three favourite Middle East things:

1 - live and work in Bahrain
2 - get struck by lightning while standing in a puddle and holding a metal rod above my head
3 - live and work in Dubai
so you hold living and working in Dubai that highly?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philipbang

Phil
Right now I would say Bahrain, not only because of the money going farther.

As advertising goes Dubai is growing to fast and will need a contraction to get back on track (i.e steady growth) while more laidback Bahrain is more stable and being in Bahrain you might get a crack at Kuwait (who´s a rather developed market) as well.
Bahrain and Kuwait have close business and tribal ties.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:36 am
W10

Bahrain is a nicer place than Dubai (from visits, I haven't lived there) but it is quieter.

It does have much more history and a bigger sense of its own culture and traditions.

Kuwait...I'm not sure why anyone would want to be in Kuwait...I'm not even sure Kuwaitis want to be there!

Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Bahrain too, just because of the cost of living here in Dubai
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I've spent 4 years in Bahrain and just coming up to 1 year in Dubai now.

As a town, Manama is much nicer than Dubai and is more 'complete.' The approach to Manama from the airport over the second crossing dhow sail bridge is an impressive view that you just don't get anywhere in Dubai.

There are plenty of 'regular' night clubs and bars (as well as the other kind ) and in Adliya in particular wall to wall restaurants. Having said that, it does not have the 'top end' establishments that Dubai has.

You get to meet Bahrainis; they have to work regular jobs as Bahrain does not have the wealth of Dubai. eg Bahrainis drive taxis, Emiratis certainly do not. Bahrain has been a trading port since ancient times, so has a more worldly view. It was where the Brits based their Resident when Britain was 'advising' on foreign policy prior to the Gulf countries becoming independent in the early 70's, so has a closer historical affinity to the UK than say Saudi, which looks to the USA.

The down side of Bahrain for me is that it is a small island - after a while you suffer from the 'gold fish bowl' effect. I like the fact that from Dubai you can get out into the desert and mountains and also to nearby Oman.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone, thanks for your help! Its really useful. Ive decided to go for the Bahrain option so fingers crossed.

Can anybody recommend an estate agent or car lease company?

Thanks

Phil
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I've spent 4 years in Bahrain and just coming up to 1 year in Dubai now.

As a town, Manama is much nicer than Dubai and is more 'complete.' The approach to Manama from the airport over the second crossing dhow sail bridge is an impressive view that you just don't get anywhere in Dubai.

There are plenty of 'regular' night clubs and bars (as well as the other kind ) and in Adliya in particular wall to wall restaurants. Having said that, it does not have the 'top end' establishments that Dubai has.

You get to meet Bahrainis; they have to work regular jobs as Bahrain does not have the wealth of Dubai. eg Bahrainis drive taxis, Emiratis certainly do not. Bahrain has been a trading port since ancient times, so has a more worldly view. It was where the Brits based their Resident when Britain was 'advising' on foreign policy prior to the Gulf countries becoming independent in the early 70's, so has a closer historical affinity to the UK than say Saudi, which looks to the USA.

The down side of Bahrain for me is that it is a small island - after a while you suffer from the 'gold fish bowl' effect. I like the fact that from Dubai you can get out into the desert and mountains and also to nearby Oman.
Out of curiosity, how is traffic in Bahrain? Is it better than Dubai?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happy man
Out of curiosity, how is traffic in Bahrain? Is it better than Dubai?

Some congestion at peak periods as anywhere in the world, and a little crazy at the week end with all the Saudi 'tourists' hurtling about in their 4x4s.

Nothing that compares with Dubai though.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point

is housing in Bahrain cheaper than Dubai? and do you still pay rent up-front for the whole year?

all answers appreciated
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:08 am
Just Joined

somaye is an unknown quantity at this point

I am architect and I have 5year experience in Iran. I 'd like to work international consultant .so I decide to work in Dubai or Bahrain.can you help me?
please explaine me about conditions of job in there.

thanks a lot