Reload this Page >

Bahrain in current climate?

Bahrain in current climate?

Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

triple j is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bahrain in current climate?

Hi,

Having recently returned to the UK after nearly three years in Abu Dhabi I'm in the process of interviewing for another position in Bahrain. My initial understanding was that Bahrain was very much like Abu Dhabi/Dubai and from some of the research I've done this seems to be the case.

However, having recently seen a travel warning on the US embassy website actually advising US citizens to leave Bahrain plus specific warnings on the UK embassy website (it seems seven guys were arrested back in July and were in the middle of planning attacks) I'm beginning to think Bahrain may best be avoided at the moment and that I should bail out of the interview process.

Having experienced how the real position can sometimes be skewed from my time in Abu Dhabi, is there any Bahrain expats out there on the ground who can testify to the current mood and feeling? Are there people leaving due to the current position? My family would be coming out with me (wife and three kids all under six) so I'm especially interested in this issue...

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards,

s
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:02 pm
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bahrain in current climate?

Hi,

We have recently moved from Bahrain to Dubai (August 2004) and feel that we have made a huge mistake.

We first went to Bahrain in 1996 and have left and then returned on 3 occasions. This last time we lived there for 12 months. My husband's company relocated the office to Dubai and we really had no say in the relocation.

Bahrain is a wonderful place to live, especially with younger children. My children are teenagers and maybe Dubai does have more to offer from an entertainment factor but I am sure they would move back to Bahrain tomorrow.

The housing is far superior to Dubai. The villas are larger, with gardens and not as expensive as here. You can live on a compound where the children can play safely with other children who live there or live in a private stand alone villa. The community spirit is second to none and you will find new friends immediately. I have been in Dubai for the last couple of months and the only friends I have are the ones I knew in Bahrain.

In about April / May of this year, the military personnel withdrew their families from Bahrain on because security threats. Many of them went very reluctantly but under orders to do so and I believe havent yet had the OK to return. After the Al Khobar shootings, there was tension in Bahrain because we wondered if the problems would migrate over the causeway along with the many families who fled Saudi Arabia. I am not being naive and saying this won't happen because who knows.

Since the problems in Saudi, many families have moved to Bahrain and as a consequence, school places are very difficult to obtain. I think some of the schools have a waiting list but you would have to contact them to find out. If you want any contact details for schools then I will glady give them to you.

I know from our experience, we never felt unsafe and were happy to remain in Bahrain. Obviously, as with any country, you have to remain vigilant as I am sure you did in Abu Dhabi.

We all miss Bahrain terribly and would return tomorrow if we had the chance. Its a wonderful place to live. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. I personally don't know of anyone who has left Bahrain because of the current situation, apart from the US military who had no choice in the matter.

Good luck with your interview if you decide to continue the process.

Karen

Originally Posted by triple j
Hi,

Having recently returned to the UK after nearly three years in Abu Dhabi I'm in the process of interviewing for another position in Bahrain. My initial understanding was that Bahrain was very much like Abu Dhabi/Dubai and from some of the research I've done this seems to be the case.

However, having recently seen a travel warning on the US embassy website actually advising US citizens to leave Bahrain plus specific warnings on the UK embassy website (it seems seven guys were arrested back in July and were in the middle of planning attacks) I'm beginning to think Bahrain may best be avoided at the moment and that I should bail out of the interview process.

Having experienced how the real position can sometimes be skewed from my time in Abu Dhabi, is there any Bahrain expats out there on the ground who can testify to the current mood and feeling? Are there people leaving due to the current position? My family would be coming out with me (wife and three kids all under six) so I'm especially interested in this issue...

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards,

s
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

triple j is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bahrain in current climate?

Karen,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I am still in the middle of the interview process so not sure what will happen, however, my wife and I are keen to return to the region but are obviously wary about the level of security.

We'll see what happens.

If anyone else has any inside line on Bahrain I would be grateful to hear it.

Kind regards,

s