Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain Cash Withdrawel

Bahrain Cash Withdrawel

Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

1aws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahrain Cash Withdrawel

Can you please assist in correcting my understanding of this residency process in Bahrain...

Next month I'll arrive in Bahrain with my family and stay in serviced apartments for a month until our house furnishing shipment arrives from UK - approx 5/6 weeks.

In this time we will source an unfurnished rental property, when I receive the lease agreement I can than proceed to get my Smartcard/CPR.

I can then open a bank account in Bahrain and receive Payment from my employers (locally based in Dubai).

So it turns out I'll have to explore the possibility of arriving in Bahrain from UK with Bahrain Dinars to pay for 3 months advance rent payment.

If so, any recommendations on where I should withdraw BD's in UK and receive the best rates?

Haven't done this cash carry thing for a while
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain Cash Withdrawel

Don't know the best place in the UK - but you can use the ATM's here ( in any Gulf country) to withdraw BD's from your UK Bank Account. You will of course pay a fee each time, so that will mount up.

You could of course just transfer all your UK cash into my Saudi account and I'll drive over to Bahrain with it....
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 1aws
Can you please assist in correcting my understanding of this residency process in Bahrain...

Next month I'll arrive in Bahrain with my family and stay in serviced apartments for a month until our house furnishing shipment arrives from UK - approx 5/6 weeks.

In this time we will source an unfurnished rental property, when I receive the lease agreement I can than proceed to get my Smartcard/CPR.

I can then open a bank account in Bahrain and receive Payment from my employers (locally based in Dubai).

So it turns out I'll have to explore the possibility of arriving in Bahrain from UK with Bahrain Dinars to pay for 3 months advance rent payment.

If so, any recommendations on where I should withdraw BD's in UK and receive the best rates?

Assuming you will arrive on a business visa you can still get your CPR processed under the company address and therefore open a bank account, you then have to process the change of address at a later stage in Isa Town, not a big drama to do it. Otherwise, yep you'll get hit for ATM fees and exchange rates which are always in favour of the banks.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:22 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1aws

Paying the rent should not be your problem but the companies. I don't know anyone that has had to pay 3 months upfront from their own pocket.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

We had to pay 3 months in advance but one month is considered the bond so we are two months in advance. We did this because my husband's company is paying us the rent as an allowance and we then pay to the landlord.

This is the method they're using because he is employed by Saudi business. However, the company reimbursed us except for the bond (my husband's choice) in order that we receive the bond upon our departure.