Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain Bar Closures

Bahrain Bar Closures

Old May 3rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Bahrain Bar Closures

Loads of rumours going around about bars closed down by the Bahrain government. Who knows for sure which ones they are?

I've heard Diggers and JJ's for starters.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain Bar Closures

Originally Posted by eylesda View Post
Loads of rumours going around about bars closed down by the Bahrain government. Who knows for sure which ones they are?

I've heard Diggers and JJ's for starters.
if you worked for Bahrain Tourism you would be sacked, you aint got a decent word to say for the place.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:10 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
if you worked for Bahrain Tourism you would be sacked, you aint got a decent word to say for the place.
am a little suspicious that eyes is saying all this to keep us magic kingdom dwellers out of the place!
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure View Post
am a little suspicious that eyes is saying all this to keep us magic kingdom dwellers out of the place!
that will never happen, Bahrain is a great place, ignore what he keeps saying, it is way better than the Magic Kingdom.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:34 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

that will never happen, Bahrain is a great place, ignore what he keeps saying, it is way better than the Magic Kingdom.
(anything's better than the magic kingdom... even, dare i say it, milton keynes!)

was thinking he's more talking down the place to keep more beer for himself!
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:36 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

So is it worth a long weekend away?
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rowell View Post
So is it worth a long weekend away?
it is a couple of years since I was there but yes I enjoy Bahrain, husband visits regularly and has no complaints.
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:22 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

it is a couple of years since I was there but yes I enjoy Bahrain, husband visits regularly and has no complaints.
Sure he doesn't
Old May 4th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

I notice none of your other Bahrain residents are chirping in.

It was widely reported in the local press that bars attached to 1 and 2 star hotels were closed because they were classed as being too sleazy for Bahrain's image.

Many of these bars were frequented by western expats.

The reason I asked the question was that many of my friends from Saudi are asking the same. A group of them had made reservations for a birthday celebration at a well known restaurant, sat on the bridge for hours and arrived only to be told they could not now have a drink with their meal.

They then all headed off to bars they had been served in only a week earlier and found them closed.

Bahrain is subject to petrol bombs, riots almost every night, roads blocked by yobs burning tyres, bars forced to close, government voting to ban booze and bacon and more. I challenge any of you prove the above are not so.

Bahrain IS better than Saudi as a place to live but it is not all rosey here.

Anyway, what the fick is wrong with letting people know where they can get a drink?

Articles from todays paper which is heavily censored by the government of Bahrain!

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=249544

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=249560
Old May 4th 2009, 5:18 am
Concierge

we don't have any other Bahrain posters
Old May 4th 2009, 5:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

we don't have any other Bahrain posters
So where is Dean residing these days? I had a British friend from Bahrain over for the weekend and he loves the place. He says that no Brits he knows ever frequents the 1-2-3* hotels anyway so the bar closures have little impact. You can still buy alcohol and pork in the usual places, he says.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eylesda View Post
I notice none of your other Bahrain residents are chirping in.

It was widely reported in the local press that bars attached to 1 and 2 star hotels were closed because they were classed as being too sleazy for Bahrain's image.

Many of these bars were frequented by western expats.

The reason I asked the question was that many of my friends from Saudi are asking the same. A group of them had made reservations for a birthday celebration at a well known restaurant, sat on the bridge for hours and arrived only to be told they could not now have a drink with their meal.

They then all headed off to bars they had been served in only a week earlier and found them closed.

Bahrain is subject to petrol bombs, riots almost every night, roads blocked by yobs burning tyres, bars forced to close, government voting to ban booze and bacon and more. I challenge any of you prove the above are not so.

Bahrain IS better than Saudi as a place to live but it is not all rosey here.

Anyway, what the fick is wrong with letting people know where they can get a drink?

Articles from todays paper which is heavily censored by the government of Bahrain!

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=249544

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=249560
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

All you ever do is slag Bahrain off and it's GOT TO STOP
Old May 4th 2009, 7:55 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

The only expat haunt affected by this ban was JJs. It is business as usual everywhere else. The parliment in Bahrain has very little power here. They can propose what ever they want but the chances of anything getting approved by the powers to be is slim if it will affect the economy or the interests of big business.
Yes there has been an increase of tire burning and some unrest but the expat community sees little of it at it is in the outlyer villages. The only problem I have heard where expats where bothered was some compound robberies a couple month ago.
Been here 8 months have never felt unsafe or bothered once. Just wish they would not allow people from the subcontinent behind the wheel of a car..The Saudis are another story
Old May 4th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

I am from the sandpit.. well the Bahrain bit of the sandpit anyway..

Didn't post because sick of defending the same old cr*p that keeps getting written..

Simply really, if you don't like it - leave!

Bahrain has shut down bars attached to 1 & 2 star hotels but as someone else mentioned on another thread, it didn't really affect Western Expats with the exception of JJ's which was attached to a dodgy *ss hotel anyway..

I bought bacon yesterday - no problem there.
Also bought booze on Saturday - no problem there either.

I enjoy the lifestyle here because it suits my needs and the benefits outweight the negative for now.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:39 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camel jockey View Post
I am from the sandpit.. well the Bahrain bit of the sandpit anyway..

Didn't post because sick of defending the same old cr*p that keeps getting written..

Simply really, if you don't like it - leave!

Bahrain has shut down bars attached to 1 & 2 star hotels but as someone else mentioned on another thread, it didn't really affect Western Expats with the exception of JJ's which was attached to a dodgy *ss hotel anyway..

I bought bacon yesterday - no problem there.
Also bought booze on Saturday - no problem there either.

I enjoy the lifestyle here because it suits my needs and the benefits outweight the negative for now.
Feel free to comment upon my recently initiated thread entitled Bahrain - The Truth, my friend.