British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   bahrain?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-529700/)

rob n lou Apr 16th 2008 9:30 am

bahrain??

hi there, hope someone can help. we have been given the opportunity to move to bahrain with my husbands job. can anyone tell me what its like?

lionheart Apr 16th 2008 10:26 am

Re: bahrain??

Nice and hot right now.

arbroath_abroad Apr 16th 2008 10:46 am

its slightly overcast by Manama

admon Apr 16th 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6216728)
Nice and hot right now.

Such a carefull, well thought out response..

I am sure we can do better than that. Come on guys..

My only advice would be to fly over for a week or two before making a decision, see if you like the feel of the place.

arbroath_abroad Apr 16th 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6216846)
Such a carefull, well thought out response..

I am sure we can do better than that. Come on guys..

My only advice would be to fly over for a week or two before making a decision, see if you like the feel of the place.

ok Mr nice guy:D

rob n lou Apr 16th 2008 10:58 am

thanks for that. it is really hard to get a good feel for the place a just wanted to know what others thought!
is it at all westernised ?

arbroath_abroad Apr 16th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by rob n lou (Post 6216907)
thanks for that. it is really hard to get a good feel for the place a just wanted to know what others thought!
is it at all westernised ?

sorry, serious answer now,

yet it is westernised, but not to the N'th degree that Dubai is...

I would definately go for a visit....

Personally i like the place, it may not be to your liking thou hence the essential visit

good luck

Bonny Boy Apr 16th 2008 11:01 am

To give a better response, it is best if we know a bit more about yourselves.

What other countries have you visited / lived in? Bahrain is arguably the most westernised of the Gulf countries, eg you can just go in an off licence there, no permit required.

rob n lou Apr 16th 2008 11:04 am

well we have both travelled a lot, and i have lived aboad before (only europe though) but rob has not. think the thing which is worrying me most is that he will have to work 7 days a week, and i wont be working so really was wondering if there would be anything i could do.
we dont have children so there would be no links from schools etc. for a social scene.

how long have you all lived there?
thanks in advance for your help it is greatly apreciated!!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2008 11:12 am

why does he have to work 7 days a week? I wouldn't bother if that was the case. :(

Bonny Boy Apr 16th 2008 11:14 am

Well I'm in Dubai now, but spent about 4 of the last 10 years in Bahrain.

It's certainly nothing like Saudi or Kuwait in terms of restrictions a western expat of either sex may feel uncomfortable about. There are lots (and lots) of restaurants, hotels with associated bars and a few expat clubs eg british Club, Dilmun club - I'm sure they have web sites you can check out.

Manama does not have the big city feel of Dubai, more like a large town.
The one downside for me is that it is quite a small place, and so you can get a bit of a claustrophobic goldfish bowl effect after a while - but maybe that is just me.

rob n lou Apr 16th 2008 11:17 am

fab thanks for the help it is greta.

as for the 7 days a week, thats just the deal it seemed a bit odd to me but i thought it maybe was just the way there for construction?

Chris79 Apr 16th 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by rob n lou (Post 6217034)
fab thanks for the help it is greta.

as for the 7 days a week, thats just the deal it seemed a bit odd to me but i thought it maybe was just the way there for construction?

I work in the construction industry and am currently working 6 days a week and stupid hours! It seems the way it is over here. Just make sure he gets a good package to reflect the crap hours and days. The only reason we get Friday off is because it is against religious laws to work!!

arbroath_abroad Apr 16th 2008 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6217102)
The only reason we get Friday off is because it is against religious laws to work!!

when it suits them

Chris79 Apr 16th 2008 11:38 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6217119)
when it suits them

True! We've worked a few Fridays :(
Doesn't particulary bother me but I only get paid for 5 days!!