Bahrain

Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
There's an awful lot of theories out there about the origin of Semitic creation myths; the Sumerian/Gilgamesh theory probably being the most plausible. The book of Genesis places the Garden of Eden in a mountainous place with 4 rivers, the Sumerian theory is that these were the Pishon, Gihon, Tigris, Euphrates - which would place the GoE in modern-day Armenia. It's suggested that some natural disaster caused these people to migrate to Mesopotamia where they founded the Sumerian culture.

From a biological perspective, Mitochondrial Eve would have been from Africa - but this is the reality of evolution theory vs our mythological heritage... Doesn't detract from the romance of the tales.
there is a failry interesting book by a british archaeologist that you would love on exactly this topic, his name escapes me for now but i'll post it if i remember.
Regarding eve, interestingly enough the latest theories propose an "out of africa" theory where elements may have made their way from africa to yemen and from there around the arabian coastlines at the same time as there was an exodous into europe from the north. the dna trail and archaeological remains seem to uphold this theory quite well and would tie in relatively well with the earliest civilisations being in mesopotamia.
Again interestingly enough this would mean that yemen, oman and the uae may in fact be the birth places of modern man.
And we have no history here?????
no we have the very origins of mankinds history
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:42 am
W10

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, wouldn't it be more Yemen and Oman (Saudi too) with the UAE on the edges? I remember Emirates Today getting all excited about a UAE man theory a couple of years ago but the more I read, the more flimsy (or fleeting) the reasoning seemed.

I also don't subscribe to the theory that people complaining about a lack of history are guilty. Especially if the UAE actively hides its pre-Islamic and prehistoric history.

Traces of ancient christian/judo settlements will not be talked about much here, let alone the more ritualistic ones.

Last edited by W10; Mar 16th 2008 at 12:48 am.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiva
i just get irked when people constantly bemoan the lack of history in the UAE when the truth is that there is at least 100,000 + years of history here. It just takes a little bit of self motivation to discover it
You could say the same thing about the good old USA as everywhere has some sort of history, only not always interesting.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, wouldn't it be more Yemen and Oman (Saudi too) with the UAE on the edges? I remember Emirates Today getting all excited about a UAE man theory a couple of years ago but the more I read, the more flimsy (or fleeting) the reasoning seemed.

I also don't subscribe to the theory that people complaining about a lack of history are guilty. Especially if the UAE actively hides its pre-Islamic and prehistoric history.

Traces of ancient christian/judo settlements will not be talked about much here, let alone the more ritualistic ones.
in short yes it would be more yemen and saudi initially with oman and the uae coming in later, at the time sea levels were much lower and palaeogeographic studies have shown that it is likely that you could have walked from africa to yemen in chest deep water at some points.
Ancient man seems to have largely followed coastlines due to the ease and availability of food, water and shelter and would have over time "bounced" along the coasts to what are today the uae, bahrain etc. there are also some very ancient settlement remains on the edge of the rub al khali that suggest that some migration took place over the hajar range inland which would have shortened the process somewhat, these settlements are on what is now sabkha but what was the edges of ancient lake beds.

UAE man is streching it massively but what does bear up to examination is that one of mans earliest (if not the earliest) moves from africa was into the arabian peninsula
and there is sufficient evidence here in the UAE that this was one of the first areas on earth outside africa where homo sapiens made a home and gave birth to the world we know today. purely a guess, but an educated one, it would have taken early man only a few hundred years at most to have made it to the UAE and when were talking sevel thousand years ago the hundreds become less relevant.

as for christian settlements here, well yes its not surprising they are suppressed. They shouldnt be but as we know they are!
A bit like the saudis being a tad sensative about the fact that a lot of jewish and early chriatian holy sites may well actually be located in the magic kingdom!!! now thats an interesting and politically explosive theory
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by lionheart
You could say the same thing about the good old USA as everywhere has some sort of history, only not always interesting.
I'd say its true for most places unfortunately. Ask a thai about pre buddhist history and they will look at you blankly, ask a native american about kenewick man and he'll deny his existence.
but lack of knowledge or ease of access to it does not mean its not there
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

in short yes it would be more yemen and saudi initially with oman and the uae coming in later, at the time sea levels were much lower and palaeogeographic studies have shown that it is likely that you could have walked from africa to yemen in chest deep water at some points.
Ancient man seems to have largely followed coastlines due to the ease and availability of food, water and shelter and would have over time "bounced" along the coasts to what are today the uae, bahrain etc. there are also some very ancient settlement remains on the edge of the rub al khali that suggest that some migration took place over the hajar range inland which would have shortened the process somewhat, these settlements are on what is now sabkha but what was the edges of ancient lake beds.

UAE man is streching it massively but what does bear up to examination is that one of mans earliest (if not the earliest) moves from africa was into the arabian peninsula
and there is sufficient evidence here in the UAE that this was one of the first areas on earth outside africa where homo sapiens made a home and gave birth to the world we know today. purely a guess, but an educated one, it would have taken early man only a few hundred years at most to have made it to the UAE and when were talking sevel thousand years ago the hundreds become less relevant.

as for christian settlements here, well yes its not surprising they are suppressed. They shouldnt be but as we know they are!
A bit like the saudis being a tad sensative about the fact that a lot of jewish and early chriatian holy sites may well actually be located in the magic kingdom!!! now thats an interesting and politically explosive theory
I think there's also some suggestion that the move out of africa by homo sapiens also spelled the end for homo erectus colonies in Asia. Not clear whether they inter-bred or whether the sapiens either killed or starved out the other species.... Fascinating stuff.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:45 am
W10

But thats the thing, I am suprised.

Ibrahimic faiths are all part of Islam. Islam accepts that these faiths existed before the Prophet had his relevations. So why try to deny it?

If you go to Oman, they don't try and hide the tomb of Job, because he was also a Muslim prophet.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by W10
But thats the thing, I am suprised.

Ibrahimic faiths are all part of Islam. Islam accepts that these faiths existed before the Prophet had his relevations. So why try to deny it?

If you go to Oman, they don't try and hide the tomb of Job, because he was also a Muslim prophet.
i agree completely, it makes no sense at all. well that is until you factor in the "pandering to the nutters" bit
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:50 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I think there's also some suggestion that the move out of africa by homo sapiens also spelled the end for homo erectus colonies in Asia. Not clear whether they inter-bred or whether the sapiens either killed or starved out the other species.... Fascinating stuff.
indeed so, the most likely senario was one of interbreeding as from what we can tell there was very little if any physical outward difference so the two species were very very similar and may well have been able to breed succesfully.
An ausie chap tracked mitochondrial dna from around the globe and by his and others reckonings all europeans are descended from one person who lived in central asia where those markers are strongest to this day. asians probably descend from the movement of people from africa to the arabian pensisula and from there to india and onwards, with a curious jump at some early point to australia. very fascinating stuff if your of that mind.
as an aside it also makes a mockery of racism since we are all out of africa and then either from central asia or asia major, we really are one race and always have been
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

The suppression of Judeo-Islamic sites is curious. Given that the Prophet (SWT) put an end to idolatry and cleared out all the statues from the Ka'aba (echos of Jesus in the Temple, there) one could understand why evidence of the pagan past might be suppressed (that said, there was evidence of pagan practice amongst some of the Yemeni tribes in some of Thessinger's writings) - but given that there were Jewish families living in the Arab World until comparatively recent times it is a bit bewildering...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

indeed so, the most likely senario was one of interbreeding as from what we can tell there was very little if any physical outward difference so the two species were very very similar and may well have been able to breed succesfully.
An ausie chap tracked mitochondrial dna from around the globe and by his and others reckonings all europeans are descended from one person who lived in central asia where those markers are strongest to this day. asians probably descend from the movement of people from africa to the arabian pensisula and from there to india and onwards, with a curious jump at some early point to australia. very fascinating stuff if your of that mind.
as an aside it also makes a mockery of racism since we are all out of africa and then either from central asia or asia major, we really are one race and always have been
Hear, hear.... My thoughts exactly.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:17 am
W10

That's why whiteys all look the same

Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Bump,
For any that were interested heres a very good overview

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...hic/atlas.html