Bahrain

Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:08 pm
W10

Default Bahrain

Just got back from a nice weekend there.

Don't know people complain about, found the place to be 100 times more interesting than Dubai.

Real history, great museum, great cultural festival (which is well supported and not overpriced), far more interesting architecture, great archeological sites, down to earth, hard-working, friendly and helpful locals (especially one who got tickets to a sold out show for me and then gave me a lift back to my hotel when I couldn't find a cab afterwards).

I'll be going back.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain

only been to Bahrain twice and I enjoyed it on both occasions, quieter than here by a long shot
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:02 am
W10

I spent a couple of hours after getting back reading up on Dilmun and Sumerian legend.

Nice to see that the story of Adam and Eve (and the tree of knowledge) probably originated from a Sumerian legend involving Bahrain.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I spent a couple of hours after getting back reading up on Dilmun and Sumerian legend.

Nice to see that the story of Adam and Eve (and the tree of knowledge) probably originated from a Sumerian legend involving Bahrain.
I am sure I watched a documentary about this, The Story of Christ or something like that, it was one of those BBC things that proved Jesus was not the blue eyed blonde we were all lead to believe but actually or arabic appearance. Very interesting it was.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Its called the epic of Gilgamesh and is probably the origin of all major religions origin myths. It has it all, adam and eve, the flood etc.
http://gilgamesh.psnc.pl/
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/...ian/gilgamesh/
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:31 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

Don't know people complain about, found the place to be 100 times more interesting than Dubai.

Real history, great museum, great cultural festival (which is well supported and not overpriced), far more interesting architecture, great archeological sites, down to earth, hard-working, friendly and helpful locals (especially one who got tickets to a sold out show for me and then gave me a lift back to my hotel when I couldn't find a cab afterwards).

I'll be going back.

a tad biased, the UAE has more archaeological sites and every bit as much history, their just crap at getting the facts out and encouraging access.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:46 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I'll be going back.
If you go back try Lanaa Thai in Budaiya - worth the trip alone.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:49 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
If you go back try Lanaa Thai in Budaiya - worth the trip alone.
Is that a restaurant or what?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:52 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Is that a restaurant or what?
Restaurant, not what.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:56 am
W10

Originally Posted by shiva
a tad biased, the UAE has more archaeological sites and every bit as much history, their just crap at getting the facts out and encouraging access.
How is it biased? It's my genuine opinion.

I found Bahrain to be far more interesting than Dubai. The people to be fdar more down to earth. They also understand and are proud of their ancient history, in fact they embrace it and promote it. The history is real...charting fantastically interesting sites from a genuine (albeit less important) power in civlised history.

The Bahrain Museum is a first class museum. Sites like the Dilmun burial mounds and Sumerian style temples are open to the public.

It's debatable as to whether the UAE has more history. They have quite a few archeological sites but they don't want people to see them.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the UAE actively tries to hide pre-Islamic history. Case in point - ask if you can see the monastic settlement on Sir Bani Yas island the next time you are there...

Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

There's an awful lot of theories out there about the origin of Semitic creation myths; the Sumerian/Gilgamesh theory probably being the most plausible. The book of Genesis places the Garden of Eden in a mountainous place with 4 rivers, the Sumerian theory is that these were the Pishon, Gihon, Tigris, Euphrates - which would place the GoE in modern-day Armenia. It's suggested that some natural disaster caused these people to migrate to Mesopotamia where they founded the Sumerian culture.

From a biological perspective, Mitochondrial Eve would have been from Africa - but this is the reality of evolution theory vs our mythological heritage... Doesn't detract from the romance of the tales.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
There's an awful lot of theories out there about the origin of Semitic creation myths; the Sumerian/Gilgamesh theory probably being the most plausible. The book of Genesis places the Garden of Eden in a mountainous place with 4 rivers, the Sumerian theory is that these were the Pishon, Gihon, Tigris, Euphrates - which would place the GoE in modern-day Armenia. It's suggested that some natural disaster caused these people to migrate to Mesopotamia where they founded the Sumerian culture.

From a biological perspective, Mitochondrial Eve would have been from Africa - but this is the reality of evolution theory vs our mythological heritage... Doesn't detract from the romance of the tales.
Yesterday I watched that old geezer on BBC World doing an episode of his Around The World In Eighty Treasures thing. The places he chose were in Uzbekistan and Iran mostly to do with the Persian Empire. The buildings were frankly amazing. Just thought I would mention it, not sure why.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:07 am
W10

I'm going to Iran in July (visa permitting)...can't wait

Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I'm going to Iran in July (visa permitting)...can't wait
lucky - I've been wanting to for a year without finding likeminded types who were up for it.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:32 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by W10
How is it biased? It's my genuine opinion.

I found Bahrain to be far more interesting than Dubai. The people to be fdar more down to earth. They also understand and are proud of their ancient history, in fact they embrace it and promote it. The history is real...charting fantastically interesting sites from a genuine (albeit less important) power in civlised history.

The Bahrain Museum is a first class museum. Sites like the Dilmun burial mounds and Sumerian style temples are open to the public.

It's debatable as to whether the UAE has more history. They have quite a few archeological sites but they don't want people to see them.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the UAE actively tries to hide pre-Islamic history. Case in point - ask if you can see the monastic settlement on Sir Bani Yas island the next time you are there...

fair enough, were all entiled to our own opinions and i do agree regarding the general character of bahrainis, they are generally really nice people.
as for the uaes history, yes they definately do not encourage a pre islamic history but its there none the less. access is possible but much much easier if you can show a genuine academic interest or association.
an interesting aside is that whilst one of bahrains early civilisations was based on the copper trade, that copper largely originated in the uae and there are some schools of thought that state that the two locations were in fact part of the same civilisation with its "capital" based in bahrain.

i just get irked when people constantly bemoan the lack of history in the UAE when the truth is that there is at least 100,000 + years of history here. It just takes a little bit of self motivation to discover it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.