British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bahrain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-444045/)

fazzo Apr 22nd 2007 9:04 am

Bahrain?
 
Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 9:35 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by fazzo (Post 4679862)
Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx

Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html


I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD

Blue Cat Apr 22nd 2007 9:42 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4679973)
Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html


I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD


I aint going there then!

Hoochie Mama Apr 22nd 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 5:17 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

To get rid of the hookers?? they are pretty much in every bar to some extent.
At least in some of the pubs like Sherlocks they dont pester you too much.

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 5:18 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 5:19 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681301)
Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much

Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4681310)
Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?

Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 5:28 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4681295)
Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!

I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....;)

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681321)
Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)

Everything seems to be in working order, however I have not being examining my 'outgoings' this week.

WishingWell Apr 22nd 2007 5:45 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 5:51 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by WishingWell (Post 4681404)
I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.

Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !! :)

WishingWell Apr 22nd 2007 6:01 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681422)
Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !! :)

Thanks - but have to say I am not in the ME any longer. But I was and do visit regularly!

Blue Cat Apr 22nd 2007 6:35 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681326)
I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....;)

I think it is only the ones that have British wives that drink :lol:

fazzo Apr 23rd 2007 1:38 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
thanks for the replies peeps. had an interview with a co. and it went fairly well. i dont mind giving up another year (or two) of my life as long as they can make an attractive enough offer :D

oh, no alcohol is not a prob for me :p not a drinker. panda pops for me all the way!

Villain Apr 23rd 2007 2:02 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
Hi Guys and girls :thumbup:

I'm new here and only registered today. The thing is my wife (yes my wife) is probably going to be offered a job in Bahrain and that would mean me and our 13 year old daughter would go with her to live there for about 3 years.

This is likely to happen quickly and we would move to Bahrain in July/August.

Without trawling through all the old threads, where would you guys say are the best places to live? Somewhere that has local bars, restaurants and a good social scene would be perfect. :)

Any other tips you could pass our way before we move would be appreciated and I intend to become fully involved in this forum so get used to me :eek:

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 23rd 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Villain (Post 4685063)
Hi Guys and girls :thumbup:

I'm new here and only registered today. The thing is my wife (yes my wife) is probably going to be offered a job in Bahrain and that would mean me and our 13 year old daughter would go with her to live there for about 3 years.

This is likely to happen quickly and we would move to Bahrain in July/August.

Without trawling through all the old threads, where would you guys say are the best places to live? Somewhere that has local bars, restaurants and a good social scene would be perfect. :)

Any other tips you could pass our way before we move would be appreciated and I intend to become fully involved in this forum so get used to me :eek:


Check that the company will sponsor you.
I know it is an issue in some countires in this region.

Can anyone confirm??

Villain Apr 23rd 2007 2:09 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4685104)
Check that the company will sponsor you.
I know it is an issue in some countires in this region.

Can anyone confirm??

Sponsor me? That sounds bad!

I'll ask my wife to check when she speaks to the 'soon to be' emplyer this week.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 23rd 2007 2:25 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Villain (Post 4685123)
Sponsor me? That sounds bad!

I'll ask my wife to check when she speaks to the 'soon to be' emplyer this week.

Click on Search, select advanced, select middle east from the list of forums and type in "sponsor my husband" in the key words.

Here is one of the responses:

Well troops. Had the phone interview and it went well. After 2 weeks of agonising waiting, they've called to say they'd like me to come over for 2-3 days (another interview) and potential medical etc for visa. So you could say it's in the bag?

Here's something new for the girls applying for jobs in Bahrain.....they will ONLY sponsor me and I can't have my husband or son on my visa. They have their own visa which we have to apply for seperately. If I was a man, this would be ALL different. I'm not fazed at all. This is not just the company this is Bahrain - have seen this also on their visa website and checked with the embassy.

So, wanting to take husband and son out for the 2-3 days as well. Just so they can have a feel of the waters as well. Do I let the company know? We'll have to pay for flights for them (which is fine).....I think they'd be ok with it. What ya reckon?

Meow Apr 23rd 2007 2:42 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
What's so shocking about a woman being the main breadwinner? Tsk.

A search through past threads may be helpful to you - can't be that big an effort surely?

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 23rd 2007 2:47 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 4685273)
What's so shocking about a woman being the main breadwinner? Tsk.

A search through past threads may be helpful to you - can't be that big an effort surely?

Dont call him Shirley......


Gets coat......and leaves

WishingWell Apr 23rd 2007 5:02 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4685196)
Click on Search, select advanced, select middle east from the list of forums and type in "sponsor my husband" in the key words.

I think JD could be right - a wife may not be able to sponsor the husband - not sure about the kids, that may be ok.

If the company will sponsor then fine, if not then either try to get a business visa for the husband (firm may provide the letter) which is then valid for six months multiple entry. Or talk to the HR people when you get there, they must have come across this before and in Bahrain there are always "ways to do it" if you talk to the right people.

To go back to your first question - most accommodation in Bahrain is on compounds, which can be up to from a dozen up to 100 villas mostly with a central communal pool, gym, lawn area for BBQs etc. Your main choices are to go for a compound in Manama, the city, or something outside the city - 10-20 minutes drive. Alternatively you can get an apartment in the city.

If you are outside the city then you need to drive in for most restaurants etc. You will find a social circle on the compound, but if it is a small compound it might be limited!

In the city, the main area for restaurants and bars is Adliya. Mahooz is also convenient as it is next to Adliya. The "Diplomatic Area" also has a number of places.

Hope this helps.

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2007 5:40 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by WishingWell (Post 4685771)
I think JD could be right - a wife may not be able to sponsor the husband - not sure about the kids, that may be ok.

If the company will sponsor then fine, if not then either try to get a business visa for the husband (firm may provide the letter) which is then valid for six months multiple entry. Or talk to the HR people when you get there, they must have come across this before and in Bahrain there are always "ways to do it" if you talk to the right people.

To go back to your first question - most accommodation in Bahrain is on compounds, which can be up to from a dozen up to 100 villas mostly with a central communal pool, gym, lawn area for BBQs etc. Your main choices are to go for a compound in Manama, the city, or something outside the city - 10-20 minutes drive. Alternatively you can get an apartment in the city.

If you are outside the city then you need to drive in for most restaurants etc. You will find a social circle on the compound, but if it is a small compound it might be limited!

In the city, the main area for restaurants and bars is Adliya. Mahooz is also convenient as it is next to Adliya. The "Diplomatic Area" also has a number of places.

Hope this helps.

it could be like Dubai where you can sponsor your husband if you are a teacher, nurse or Doctor???

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2007 5:40 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
or a school teacher :D

Hoochie Mama Apr 23rd 2007 7:30 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
Jeez, you have me worried about an alcohol ban in Bahrain now!

Can't see it happening though. Like I said - the Saudis bankroll Bahrain and they would simply not come over (as much) if there were no alcohol here.

The best place to live in Bahrain (if you have a family) is in Saar or Budaiya. It's about 12 kms into town.

Bahrain may have banned the sale of alchohol during Ramadan in 99% of venues but was still available at clubs such as the Rugby Club or the Dilmun Club during that time. On the flip side, Bahrain doesn't enforce the ridiculous (and totally random) 24 hour bans that Dubai inflicts on its unsuspecting tourists and residents throughout the year.

Frankly, I think Bahrain is ugly, it has no beaches and you can feel very hemmed in by the fact that you can't drive more than 45 minutes in any direction.... but I still like it. I find the people - specially locals - very friendly and I feel welcome here. I ignore cliques. Cliques are just made up of insecure people who cling together for security.

The worst thing about Bahrain is the influx of Saudis on the weekend. God help us when the "Friendship Bridge" to Qatar opens!

Villain Apr 24th 2007 8:02 am

Re: Bahrain?
 
Thanks all, you've been very helpful. I'll start to check things out now.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 24th 2007 8:05 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Villain (Post 4688543)
Thanks all, you've been very helpful. I'll start to check things out now.

No worries, feel free to pop back anytime with any questions...we are a friendly bunch.................most of the time :)

Villain Apr 24th 2007 10:10 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4688564)
we are a friendly bunch.................most of the time :)

Yep I can see that :)

Don't worry I'm a seasoned Forum poster :cool:

Willow77 Apr 25th 2007 2:03 am

Re: Bahrain?
 
Hello Fazzo and others.
I'd be interested in replies to this also.
Bahrain - what's the go? Best place to live and any other information gratefully received.
Just read previous stuff - great information - sorry - just getting used to things here as you can tell.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:30 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.