British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bahrain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-444045/)

fazzo Apr 22nd 2007 10:04 am

Bahrain?
 
Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 10:35 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by fazzo (Post 4679862)
Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx

Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html


I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD

Blue Cat Apr 22nd 2007 10:42 am

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4679973)
Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html


I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD


I aint going there then!

Hoochie Mama Apr 22nd 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

To get rid of the hookers?? they are pretty much in every bar to some extent.
At least in some of the pubs like Sherlocks they dont pester you too much.

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 6:18 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 6:19 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 6:23 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681301)
Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much

Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 6:27 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4681310)
Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?

Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4681295)
Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!

I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....;)

NorthernLad Apr 22nd 2007 6:30 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681321)
Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)

Everything seems to be in working order, however I have not being examining my 'outgoings' this week.

WishingWell Apr 22nd 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama (Post 4681151)
I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.

I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 22nd 2007 6:51 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by WishingWell (Post 4681404)
I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.

Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !! :)

WishingWell Apr 22nd 2007 7:01 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681422)
Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !! :)

Thanks - but have to say I am not in the ME any longer. But I was and do visit regularly!

Blue Cat Apr 22nd 2007 7:35 pm

Re: Bahrain?
 

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4681326)
I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....;)

I think it is only the ones that have British wives that drink :lol:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.