Bahrain?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:38 pm
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice
Default Re: Bahrain?

thanks for the replies peeps. had an interview with a co. and it went fairly well. i dont mind giving up another year (or two) of my life as long as they can make an attractive enough offer

oh, no alcohol is not a prob for me not a drinker. panda pops for me all the way!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:02 pm
Yep, me again :P

Villain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys and girls

I'm new here and only registered today. The thing is my wife (yes my wife) is probably going to be offered a job in Bahrain and that would mean me and our 13 year old daughter would go with her to live there for about 3 years.

This is likely to happen quickly and we would move to Bahrain in July/August.

Without trawling through all the old threads, where would you guys say are the best places to live? Somewhere that has local bars, restaurants and a good social scene would be perfect.

Any other tips you could pass our way before we move would be appreciated and I intend to become fully involved in this forum so get used to me
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Villain
Hi Guys and girls

I'm new here and only registered today. The thing is my wife (yes my wife) is probably going to be offered a job in Bahrain and that would mean me and our 13 year old daughter would go with her to live there for about 3 years.

This is likely to happen quickly and we would move to Bahrain in July/August.

Without trawling through all the old threads, where would you guys say are the best places to live? Somewhere that has local bars, restaurants and a good social scene would be perfect.

Any other tips you could pass our way before we move would be appreciated and I intend to become fully involved in this forum so get used to me

Check that the company will sponsor you.
I know it is an issue in some countires in this region.

Can anyone confirm??
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Check that the company will sponsor you.
I know it is an issue in some countires in this region.

Can anyone confirm??
Sponsor me? That sounds bad!

I'll ask my wife to check when she speaks to the 'soon to be' emplyer this week.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsor me? That sounds bad!

I'll ask my wife to check when she speaks to the 'soon to be' emplyer this week.
Click on Search, select advanced, select middle east from the list of forums and type in "sponsor my husband" in the key words.

Here is one of the responses:

Well troops. Had the phone interview and it went well. After 2 weeks of agonising waiting, they've called to say they'd like me to come over for 2-3 days (another interview) and potential medical etc for visa. So you could say it's in the bag?

Here's something new for the girls applying for jobs in Bahrain.....they will ONLY sponsor me and I can't have my husband or son on my visa. They have their own visa which we have to apply for seperately. If I was a man, this would be ALL different. I'm not fazed at all. This is not just the company this is Bahrain - have seen this also on their visa website and checked with the embassy.

So, wanting to take husband and son out for the 2-3 days as well. Just so they can have a feel of the waters as well. Do I let the company know? We'll have to pay for flights for them (which is fine).....I think they'd be ok with it. What ya reckon?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What's so shocking about a woman being the main breadwinner? Tsk.

A search through past threads may be helpful to you - can't be that big an effort surely?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:47 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Meow
What's so shocking about a woman being the main breadwinner? Tsk.

A search through past threads may be helpful to you - can't be that big an effort surely?
Dont call him Shirley......

Gets coat......and leaves
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

WishingWell is an unknown quantity at this point

Click on Search, select advanced, select middle east from the list of forums and type in "sponsor my husband" in the key words.
I think JD could be right - a wife may not be able to sponsor the husband - not sure about the kids, that may be ok.

If the company will sponsor then fine, if not then either try to get a business visa for the husband (firm may provide the letter) which is then valid for six months multiple entry. Or talk to the HR people when you get there, they must have come across this before and in Bahrain there are always "ways to do it" if you talk to the right people.

To go back to your first question - most accommodation in Bahrain is on compounds, which can be up to from a dozen up to 100 villas mostly with a central communal pool, gym, lawn area for BBQs etc. Your main choices are to go for a compound in Manama, the city, or something outside the city - 10-20 minutes drive. Alternatively you can get an apartment in the city.

If you are outside the city then you need to drive in for most restaurants etc. You will find a social circle on the compound, but if it is a small compound it might be limited!

In the city, the main area for restaurants and bars is Adliya. Mahooz is also convenient as it is next to Adliya. The "Diplomatic Area" also has a number of places.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:40 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WishingWell
I think JD could be right - a wife may not be able to sponsor the husband - not sure about the kids, that may be ok.

If the company will sponsor then fine, if not then either try to get a business visa for the husband (firm may provide the letter) which is then valid for six months multiple entry. Or talk to the HR people when you get there, they must have come across this before and in Bahrain there are always "ways to do it" if you talk to the right people.

To go back to your first question - most accommodation in Bahrain is on compounds, which can be up to from a dozen up to 100 villas mostly with a central communal pool, gym, lawn area for BBQs etc. Your main choices are to go for a compound in Manama, the city, or something outside the city - 10-20 minutes drive. Alternatively you can get an apartment in the city.

If you are outside the city then you need to drive in for most restaurants etc. You will find a social circle on the compound, but if it is a small compound it might be limited!

In the city, the main area for restaurants and bars is Adliya. Mahooz is also convenient as it is next to Adliya. The "Diplomatic Area" also has a number of places.

Hope this helps.
it could be like Dubai where you can sponsor your husband if you are a teacher, nurse or Doctor???
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:40 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

or a school teacher
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:30 pm
Why No Clock ?

Hoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really nice

Jeez, you have me worried about an alcohol ban in Bahrain now!

Can't see it happening though. Like I said - the Saudis bankroll Bahrain and they would simply not come over (as much) if there were no alcohol here.

The best place to live in Bahrain (if you have a family) is in Saar or Budaiya. It's about 12 kms into town.

Bahrain may have banned the sale of alchohol during Ramadan in 99% of venues but was still available at clubs such as the Rugby Club or the Dilmun Club during that time. On the flip side, Bahrain doesn't enforce the ridiculous (and totally random) 24 hour bans that Dubai inflicts on its unsuspecting tourists and residents throughout the year.

Frankly, I think Bahrain is ugly, it has no beaches and you can feel very hemmed in by the fact that you can't drive more than 45 minutes in any direction.... but I still like it. I find the people - specially locals - very friendly and I feel welcome here. I ignore cliques. Cliques are just made up of insecure people who cling together for security.

The worst thing about Bahrain is the influx of Saudis on the weekend. God help us when the "Friendship Bridge" to Qatar opens!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:02 am

Thanks all, you've been very helpful. I'll start to check things out now.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:05 am
Up in the air

Thanks all, you've been very helpful. I'll start to check things out now.
No worries, feel free to pop back anytime with any questions...we are a friendly bunch.................most of the time
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:10 am

we are a friendly bunch.................most of the time
Yep I can see that

Don't worry I'm a seasoned Forum poster
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Willow77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Fazzo and others.
I'd be interested in replies to this also.
Bahrain - what's the go? Best place to live and any other information gratefully received.
Just read previous stuff - great information - sorry - just getting used to things here as you can tell.

Last edited by Willow77; Apr 25th 2007 at 2:10 am. Reason: Read previous which answered some questions