Bahrain?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:04 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice
Question Bahrain?

Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:35 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain?

Originally Posted by fazzo
Anyone worked/work in Bahrain? How does it fares compared to Dubai? QoL? Packages?

Thx
Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html

I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Your not going for a job as a doorman are you??

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10119263.html

I like Bahrain, would quite happily live and work there again.
I think Northern Lad has spent a ton of time there..he will probably respond in a few days when he is back from Germany.

PLease bear in mind that there are very weak rumours that they will be banning alcohol at some point.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30027

Rgds
JD

I aint going there then!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Why No Clock ?

Hoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really niceHoochie Mama is just really nice

Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:17 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoochie Mama
Nah, they won't ban alcohol in Bahrain. Bahrain has the most liberal alchol laws in the ME and you don't even need a licence to buy booze here. Moreover, you don't need to be affiliated with a hotel to have a booze licence in Bahrain so you get heaps of fantastic restaurants and cafes on the high street (or highway) or in old villas etc.. and they serve booze.

There is no way they'd ban alcohol here. The Saudis would go nuts. And it's the Saudis that bankroll Bahrain.

All they've done is cut out the really seedy, 3 star hotels where they have hookers masquerading as bands. Not to worry.

I can't compare living in Dubai to living in Bahrain but from what I've heard, if you have children, people seem to prefer it in Bahrain because it is much more family-oriented (again, I don't know if that's true). I find it quite sleepy and easy. I have lots of friends who are into clubbing etc.. and they get a little bit frustrated by the lack of variety but things are apparently improving.
To get rid of the hookers?? they are pretty much in every bar to some extent.
At least in some of the pubs like Sherlocks they dont pester you too much.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:18 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!

Last edited by NorthernLad; Apr 22nd 2007 at 5:21 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:19 pm
Up in the air

Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:23 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back to the Forum HM. Its good to have some people representing Bahrain on here!!.
To get rid of the hookers they will have to close almost every bar, at least in some of the bars like sherlocks they dont pester you too much
Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:27 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Is Sherlocks still there? They were renovating last year, not sure if it survived?
Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:28 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Bahrain is good for families, but for singles/couples I would say it can get a bit boring.

4 Seasons have pulled out of building a 5 star hotel as government could not guarantee that the ban would not be extended to all hotels. There is a group of MPs who have publicly stated that they want all alcohol banned in Bahrain. They got their way over banning it during Ramadan - after long term residents I know there said it could never happen.

Yes, the Saudi tourists would be most upset, but then I was told Iran has increased its influence in Bahrain now (and that was from a Bahraini).

House prices are rising, but no where near as bad as Dubai. It is a nice place, but I prefer Dubai as somewhere to live.

Oh, and people complain about public beaches in Dubai...try finding one in Bahrain!
I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:30 pm
Big Member

Was gonna ask....have you poo'ed out that sim card yet, or has it been blocked (excuse the pun)
Everything seems to be in working order, however I have not being examining my 'outgoings' this week.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

WishingWell is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:51 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by WishingWell
I moved from Dubai to Bahrain with wife and young son. It is certainly quieter, less hectic. I enjoyed both but also found both a bit "cliquey" - Dubai seemed very competitive, who was in the best beach club, who had the biggest land cruiser, etc. In Bahrain some of the long term expats seemed a bit snobby to the transient ones there for just 2-3 years. Having said that, people were generally friendly and it actually felt like living in the Gulf, unlike Dubai. If I had to choose one I would probably go with Bahrain.
Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

WishingWell is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum, Is good to see people from other ME countries here !!
Thanks - but have to say I am not in the ME any longer. But I was and do visit regularly!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be surprised if at some stage alcohol is banned.

And how can Saudi kick up too much of a public fuss??.....they are muslim and none of them drink.....
I think it is only the ones that have British wives that drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.