British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bad Weather Rumour (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bad-weather-rumour-509421/)

lionheart Jan 27th 2008 7:08 am

Bad Weather Rumour

During his local travels, my boss has met three different guys who say that heavy rain is likely to strike here again by the end of this week, apparently as severe as or even worse than the 15/16th this month. Can find nothing in the papers. Has anyone else heard any similar rumours?

Blue Cat Jan 27th 2008 7:09 am

Re: Bad Weather Rumour

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5844158)
During his local travels, my boss has met three different guys who say that heavy rain is likely to strike here again by the end of this week, apparently as severe as or even worse than the 15/16th this month. Can find nothing in the papers. Has anyone else heard any similar rumours?

not sure about the severity of the rains to come but yes I had heard that there was more on it's way :(

jvr20 Jan 27th 2008 7:28 am

oh dear... BBC haven't cottoned on yet though http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0253

Madam Medusa Jan 27th 2008 7:31 am

oh dear, i really hope this is nowt more than a rumour...this weather is really really depressing...

MM, xx

Eeyore Jan 27th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5844192)
oh dear, i really hope this is nowt more than a rumour...this weather is really really depressing...

I know. A few days of rain each year - I mean, just how on Earth are us poor souls expected to cope? ;)

lionheart Jan 27th 2008 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5844189)
oh dear... BBC haven't cottoned on yet though http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0253

Thanks for that...the BBC are usually pretty accurate.

Madam Medusa Jan 27th 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5844240)
I know. A few days of rain each year - I mean, just how on Earth are us poor souls expected to cope? ;)

well they don't cope here do they...the schools were shut down for 2 days last time and no one could get anywhere...

MM, xx

Robbies Jan 27th 2008 9:13 am

Hope the BBC are close with their forecast... we've got my brother coming over for a couple of weeks holiday and rain is not top of his wish list! :D

Eeyore Jan 27th 2008 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5844413)
well they don't cope here do they...the schools were shut down for 2 days last time and no one could get anywhere...

They could in Deira, and all the other (usually older) parts of Dubai that were built with proper storm drains. A friend who lives in Deira reported seeing no flooding at all until he crossed over the Creek.

It's the newer parts, where the developers were under no obligation to install storm drainage (even though everyone knows Dubai can usually expect at least a day or two of torrential rains every year at about this time) and hence didn't because it saved them money, that the flooding occurred.

Madam Medusa Jan 27th 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5844597)
They could in Deira, and all the other (usually older) parts of Dubai that were built with proper storm drains. A friend who lives in Deira reported seeing no flooding at all until he crossed over the Creek.

It's the newer parts, where the developers were under no obligation to install storm drainage (even though everyone knows Dubai can usually expect at least a day or two of torrential rains every year at about this time) and hence didn't because it saved them money, that the flooding occurred.

err...well i don't live in a newer part, and it was chaos here...massive floods...

MM, xx

lionheart Jan 27th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5844597)

The water was over two feet deep almost everywhere on the industrial estates, especially Al Quoz, Sharjah and Jebel Ali...not sure when they were built, but not recently. Also, the roads around Deira City Centre were gridlocked by flood water on the 15th January...expect your insurance premiums to rise soon.

shakh your bootie Jan 27th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5844722)
The water was over two feet deep almost everywhere on the industrial estates, especially Al Quoz, Sharjah and Jebel Ali...not sure when they were built, but not recently. Also, the roads around Deira City Centre were gridlocked by flood water on the 15th January...expect your insurance premiums to rise soon.

it's raining right now in abu dhabi......

Madam Medusa Jan 27th 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5844737)
it's raining right now in abu dhabi......

it's been kinda spitting on and off here all afternoon too...

MM, xx

Eeyore Jan 27th 2008 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5844722)
Also, the roads around Deira City Centre were gridlocked by flood water on the 15th January...

Probably related to the construction work around there. My friend doesn't live far from DCC, and there are proper storm drains where he is, hence no flooding.

shakh your bootie Jan 27th 2008 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5844829)
it's been kinda spitting on and off here all afternoon too...

MM, xx

It's more of a steady pour here in the First City.....