Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bad Timing for Relocation?

Bad Timing for Relocation?

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough
Default Bad Timing for Relocation?

So, with the ink barely dry on my Employment Contract for a construction position in Abu Dhabi, the world is rocked (financially at least) by Dubai's debt problems becoming public knowledge.

My move from the UK to AD is an internal transfer and the UK side of the business has turned around and said that it isn't a problem if I want to cancel the transfer and remain in the UK.

Which has left me with no idea what to do. Do I go through the upheaval of taking my wife and baby to the UAE to escape the paycuts and redundancies of the UK? Or am I just going from frying pan to fire?

I appreciate that AD has money but surely it won't be unaffected by the debts of Dubai and will make cuts to spending on construction projects?

Any views?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:57 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad Timing for Relocation?

Originally Posted by Mullet
So, with the ink barely dry on my Employment Contract for a construction position in Abu Dhabi, the world is rocked (financially at least) by Dubai's debt problems becoming public knowledge.

My move from the UK to AD is an internal transfer and the UK side of the business has turned around and said that it isn't a problem if I want to cancel the transfer and remain in the UK.

Which has left me with no idea what to do. Do I go through the upheaval of taking my wife and baby to the UAE to escape the paycuts and redundancies of the UK? Or am I just going from frying pan to fire?

I appreciate that AD has money but surely it won't be unaffected by the debts of Dubai and will make cuts to spending on construction projects?

Any views?
It's not Dubai's debt problems but those of a company - Dubai World. Should all blow over as debt repayments are rescheduled. Dubai is the 'Singapore' of the Middle East and will go from strength to strength as a financial, trading, transit and tourist hub. Abu Dhabi Emirate has all the oil and gas wealth...so don't see problems there at all. Notwithstanding, I'm leaving myself after 3.5 years...I like the stability of Australia and so much less red tape.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MacScot
It's not Dubai's debt problems but those of a company - Dubai World. Should all blow over as debt repayments are rescheduled. Dubai is the 'Singapore' of the Middle East and will go from strength to strength as a financial, trading, transit and tourist hub. Abu Dhabi Emirate has all the oil and gas wealth...so don't see problems there at all. Notwithstanding, I'm leaving myself after 3.5 years...I like the stability of Australia and so much less red tape.
But DW is still owned by the Dubai Government, so its not just an isolated corporate problem. As for Dubai going from strength to strength...bla bla...I personally don't think so. The OP should probably stay put if his UK position is definitely secure.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on which Project you are working on in Abu Dhabi - construction of residential properties is being slowed down. Is it easy for you to transfer back to UK if you face problems in the ME? You could come out on your own to see how it goes before moving the family.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

They want me out there for my education experience, I'll be working on a mixture of Universities and schools.

Still a gung-ho attitude in AD with double digit growth forecast for the office next year. But what value are forecasts....
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:51 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

if it's education, govt funded or not, in AD, my gut feel is to go for it. It might be worth finding out if your company would have a position for you, should you wish to come back to the UK.
There's nothing quite like having a solid back-up plan!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

They want me out there for my education experience, I'll be working on a mixture of Universities and schools.

Still a gung-ho attitude in AD with double digit growth forecast for the office next year. But what value are forecasts....
Sounds OK to me - I'm sure all this will happen!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But DW is still owned by the Dubai Government, so its not just an isolated corporate problem. As for Dubai going from strength to strength...bla bla...I personally don't think so. The OP should probably stay put if his UK position is definitely secure.
a fact they are strongly denying
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
must be the evil media in the west making it up then!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

don't be the man in the pub who says " i could of whent there to work but.........?"

come give it 6months alone without your family then make a call,you have the added saftey net of an internal transfer if it goes tits up.
it basically boils down to , location , project specifics, client, strength of employer.

good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I don't think anyone is denying that DW is owned by the Emirati Royal Family/Government. What they are saying is that DW is a business entity and must therefore stand on its own. That is bloody ridiculous because the main reason why loans were given was because of the Royal connection. They can't have it both ways. Just like Sheikh Moh complaining at the western media recently but being perfectly happy for them to publish success stories when the economy was booming.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't go, do go
Don't buy, Dubai
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:53 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
don't be the man in the pub who says " i could of whent there to work but.........?"

come give it 6months alone without your family then make a call,you have the added saftey net of an internal transfer if it goes tits up.
it basically boils down to , location , project specifics, client, strength of employer.

good luck
What he said.
I would advise anyone (be it the wife or husband if appropo) with a job offer to come out in advance of uprooting a family to test the water,assess the offer etc.
Takes a good couple of months to get to grips with all the red tape and much easier to live outta a suitcase or in a mate's spare room if not having to worry about spouse and baby's comfort factor.Also means you are free to spec the city in terms of places to stay.
You refer to pay offs looming- are you exploring the possibilities of jumping before being pushed? Maybe you have to make moves anyway and I would say give AD a go.Least you got a couple of years b4 nipper in school(though pitch for Nursery /School Fees straight off- get it written in to Contract).
Hmmmm schools& Unis???
Aldar is building schools in AD...