British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Awaiting Final Contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/awaiting-final-contract-604960/)

domin8r Apr 22nd 2009 8:46 pm

Awaiting Final Contract

I received an 'initial offer' for a financial job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of March after going through quite an extensive interview process. I was then referenced and credit checked and am now just waiting for the final contract to be approved/signed off.

I have been waiting for over 6 weeks now and am still none the wiser as to when this will happen. All I am told everytime I contact the recruitment company is that this delay is just part of the process, they are waiting for a senior member of staff to finalise the files and these things can take a long time to complete.

I am still in employment in the UK, and have not handed in my notice, so have not made any firm commitments, but the wait is getting very frustrating.:curse:

Can anyone else tell me if this is common when getting a job in Abu Dhabi, and if it is how long should I wait before realising that the contract is never getting approved/signed.

lionheart Apr 23rd 2009 5:47 am

Re: Awaiting Final Contract

Send them an e-mail saying that, if you don't receive written confirmation within 10 working days, you will look elsewhere.

Eva Apr 23rd 2009 7:28 am

Originally Posted by domin8r (Post 7504899)
I received an 'initial offer' for a financial job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of March after going through quite an extensive interview process. I was then referenced and credit checked and am now just waiting for the final contract to be approved/signed off.

They have absolutely no obligation to you at the moment

I have been waiting for over 6 weeks now and am still none the wiser as to when this will happen. All I am told everytime I contact the recruitment company is that this delay is just part of the process, they are waiting for a senior member of staff to finalise the files and these things can take a long time to complete.
'Six weeks isn't a long time in the politics of UAE bureaucracy(sp/))I am still in employment in the UK, and have not handed in my notice, so have not made any firm commitments, but the wait is getting very frustrating.:curse:
Don't give up the UK job
Can anyone else tell me if this is common when getting a job in Abu Dhabi, and if it is how long should I wait before realising that the contract is never getting approved/signed.

IMHO, carry on your normal life in UK with the mindset that the Contract ain't happening(given the recent problems, it may well be true)
Under normal circumstances, getting to the Nth point of actually being recruited to AD is fraught with difficulties and protracted timelines.If you do subsequently hear from them then it's a bonus.
If you are serious about work/life in UAE then may I suggest you take up some relaxation techniques and yoga p'haps.....
If you are of a type that you like everything done timeously then perhaps life in UAE will not benefit your wellbeing,particularly your blood pressure.
Good luck.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Apr 23rd 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by domin8r (Post 7504899)

I am still in employment in the UK, and have not handed in my notice, so have not made any firm commitments, but the wait is getting very frustrating.:curse:

This all sounds very familiar :D.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Apr 23rd 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7505932)
Send them an e-mail saying that, if you don't receive written confirmation within 10 working days, you will look elsewhere.

No Domin8r, absolutely do not follow Lionheart's advice here.

lionheart Apr 23rd 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7506236)
No Domin8r, absolutely do not follow Lionheart's advice here.

Why? Is the OP expected to wait indefinitely? The e-mail would be sent to the recruitment company who are clearly messing him/her about.

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 11:03 am

Whatever you do - do NOT give up your current job! Too many people have been recruited, given their notice only to be told in the last minute that their contract is now cancelled etc etc - it's a daily story around here.

I would email the recruitment agency of course - why should you wait ad nauseum?? Just do NOT contact the actual company ..... for obvious reasons.

Like all the other said - if you're coming to work/live here, start on valium from now!! I've been here 11 months and still waiting for my visa :zzz::zzz::zzz: