Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Avoiding Global Blue and their rip-off fees?

Avoiding Global Blue and their rip-off fees?

Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avoiding Global Blue and their rip-off fees?

I am going back to the UK to buy some expensive electronics and want to reclaim the VAT. The seller says I have to use Global Blue. But a little research says Global Blue charge a mind-blowing 40% to 50% commission!

So if I buy £10k worth of equipment, the VAT amounts to £2k. Global Blue will then charge me possibly more than £1,000 simply for reclaiming this VAT.

This seems like an outrageous scam. So how do I avoid Global Blue? It seems like I can manually process the refund myself, but how would I go about doing this? In particular what form would I need to request from the dealer?

Thanks!

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Apr 25th 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoiding Global Blue and their rip-off fees?

dont the likes of john lewis and currys etc claim back vat, marks and sparks do but minimum spend of 70 odd quid but they all take their "cut".
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoiding Global Blue and their rip-off fees?

If the £10,000 of equipment is inclusive of VAT, then the amount of VAT is £1666 not £2,000.