British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Aussie arrested in Dubai for swearing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/aussie-arrested-dubai-swearing-640473/)

spart Nov 13th 2009 10:50 am

Aussie arrested in Dubai for swearing

http://www.theage.com.au/world/detai...1113-iebx.html

Whoops. There but for the grace of god....

seven seas Nov 13th 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Aussie arrested in Dubai for swearing

Yeah, that's a believable story...

Basilito01 Nov 17th 2009 4:05 am

I'm in too minds about this, somehow Aussies get all the bad press.. I am sure I would also react badly if someone grabbed me out of nowhere, however how do thousands of other expats make it there without trouble. Some Aussie give the rest of us a bad name.. I feel bad for him but at the same time if he'd been there before he should know what to expect. why was he grabbed? what happened? hmm. I hope he gets to go home soon.

Norm_uk Nov 17th 2009 6:48 am

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8096822)
http://www.theage.com.au/world/detai...1113-iebx.html

Whoops. There but for the grace of god....

It shows how patheic and insecure they are here when they can detain people for months and steal their passport just because they felt insulted by something they said.

"Mr McKay has said he did not know the man he swore at was a policeman, and apologised once he realised he was. He believes he has been treated unfairly, and wants the Australian Government to formally complain to the United Arab Emirates about his treatment."

You can murder people on the roads here and walk away with a smack on the wrist in many cases, not pay your staff for months and have tiny fines as punishment and prevent your workers from changing jobs...but whatever you do don't swear at a copper who grabs you for no reason - unless you fancy sitting in jail awaiting trial for several months like a theif or murderer.

Shame, shame and double shame to the Australian government for not doing anything about this ludicrous situation.

N.

Bijilo123 Nov 17th 2009 8:19 am

I actually did not believe this (because it seemed implausible and the references to consular help did not seem right) and did a search on Sun Mckay (nothing better to do) . Lo and behold it is reported elsewhere but it seems that he also swore at the consular staff after initially refusing their assistance. I sense the swearing episode was more than he described and that there was a reason for him being grabbed by the police.

So he may (or may not be) a bit of a divvy!

Now that he has time on his hands he could bring his GF over and give her one on the beach....... An ice cream for instance.

Norm_uk Nov 17th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8104163)
I actually did not believe this (because it seemed implausible and the references to consular help did not seem right) and did a search on Sun Mckay (nothing better to do) . Lo and behold it is reported elsewhere but it seems that he also swore at the consular staff after initially refusing their assistance. I sense the swearing episode was more than he described and that there was a reason for him being grabbed by the police.

So he may (or may not be) a bit of a divvy!

Now that he has time on his hands he could bring his GF over and give her one on the beach....... An ice cream for instance.

Sounds like a bit of an idiot if he did that - however he's not a threat to society and should fined for a misdemenor and sent on his way. The UAE authorities take minor things far too seriously sometimes. This would never happen in most countries.

I suppose this what happens when you have an heriditary dictatorship backed up by religious law running the show instead of some sort of representative democracy...still it's tax free innit? ;)

N.

spart Nov 17th 2009 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8104163)
I actually did not believe this (because it seemed implausible and the references to consular help did not seem right) and did a search on Sun Mckay

It probably has a lot to do with him being Asian, that he was harrassed in the first place. The fact that he was in the army in Iraq, before becoming a private security contractor in Iraq explains why he might have sworn when an undercover policeman grabbed him from behind in an airport.

Consular assistance would have been minimal, until such time as he has been charged. He was released from prison, and is now detained in Dubai awaiting trial. What else should the consulate do, other than offer him the name of a good advocate?

Bijilo123 Nov 17th 2009 3:34 pm

Well the consular assistance after he was charged would be minimal too - but if you look at the other reports of the episode he swore at the consular assistant too and refused the help - being my point I think. But you are right - all they will do is tell him to get a lawyer and give him a list of them. If he gets executed they might come and watch.

Norm_uk Nov 17th 2009 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8104962)
It probably has a lot to do with him being Asian, that he was harrassed in the first place. The fact that he was in the army in Iraq, before becoming a private security contractor in Iraq explains why he might have sworn when an undercover policeman grabbed him from behind in an airport.

Consular assistance would have been minimal, until such time as he has been charged. He was released from prison, and is now detained in Dubai awaiting trial. What else should the consulate do, other than offer him the name of a good advocate?

I was thinking the same thing. They are completely racist here to start with and get away with things that wouldn't be out of place in the 1920s.

N.

CeeBee Nov 17th 2009 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8105040)
I was thinking the same thing. They are completely racist here to start with and get away with things that wouldn't be out of place in the 1920s.

N.

I think you're being kind there. Go back another 100 years and we'd be closer to the mark.